Scotland to become independent in March 2016 if referendum passes

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can we English people have a referendum to vote on if we want Scotland to remain in the United Kingdom? It seems to be all one way traffic. All these people getting referendums. English people never get referendums for anything.

You got to colonize everyone though

Heard a European professor today say that Scotland would have to apply to join the EU if they break away, as it is the UK that holds the membership, and Scotland would then not be entitled to just walk in, and that the EU are not at all keen to accept them. So how would this effect their economy if they are refused entry.

, as it is the UK that holds the membership, and Scotland would then not be entitled to just walk in, and that the EU are not at all keen to accept them. So how would this effect their economy if they are refused entry.

If the Scots vote Yes, surely the "United Kingdom" would cease to be ... and the English/Welsh/Northern Irish partnership would have to find another name. Is there a precedent to indicate they wouldn't also have to apply for EU membership as a "new" country?

There is a precedent; but not in the way you mean.

When what is now the Republic of Ireland became independent and left the UK, the UK continued to exist.

Prior to Irish independence it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland; afterwards it became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

As Great Britain is a geographical term, not a political one, and includes Scotland there may have to be a slight name change again, but the political entity of the UK will still exist.

There is a precedent; but not in the way you mean. When what is now the Republic of Ireland became independent and left the UK, the UK continued to exist.

I think Ireland gained independence before the EU came into being, not really a precedent. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland ceased to exist.

Prior to Irish independence it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland; afterwards it became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

As Great Britain is a geographical term, not a political one, and includes Scotland there may have to be a slight name change again, but the political entity of the UK will still exist.

That's an assumption. As you say, there is no precedent. The "Great Britain" part of the name was formed by the Acts of Union in 1707. Will the remainder of the UK be called something like the United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland?

Edited by rajyindee

You may recall there was a referendum on EEC membership, and the decision was 'Yes'.

I voted 'Yes' in that referendum; mainly because we were told that the EEC was purely a free trade area and British membership would have absolutely no effect on British sovereignty at all.

The true consequences of membership were hidden from us.

You should have listened to Enoch Powell. He had a clear vision of the political aspirations.

If you want out of the EU, you should be campaigning for English independence now that we've been assured that secession from the UK is a valid way out. I still think its cruel to separate Northern Ireland and Scotland, and I have no emotional attachment to Berwick.

As the population of Scotland is less than 10% of the UK I so without Scotland it will very much the same, governed and administered from London.

As for Scotland...

They have a lot of decisions to make...

What Currency to use, more to the point which currency can they use?

To join the EU, more to the point will they be allowed in?

Who's head on the bank notes, The Queen or Salmond's, I.E. will Liz remain head of state or Salmond become President for life?

Will they apply to join the Commonwealth?

One thing for sure is that without Scotland being in the EU there will be no open boarder between England and Scotland.

• Like 1

As long as Billy Connolly becomes President its a good idea biggrin.png .

In this mornings Metro.

Comedian Billy Connolly is refusing to vote in the Scottish independence referendum, which he described as a "morass that I care not to dip my toe into".

The 71-year-old Glaswegian said:"I think the Scots will come to a good conclusion in the referendum, they'll get what they deserve".

I love my country and as an Englishman living in Great Britain and being part of Scotland, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland makes me proud.

Together we are a great country with great people with an even greater history. I truly hope we can nurture our cultural differences and work together for the common good.

There is a precedent; but not in the way you mean. When what is now the Republic of Ireland became independent and left the UK, the UK continued to exist.

I think Ireland gained independence before the EU came into being, not really a precedent. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland ceased to exist.

That's an assumption. As you say, there is no precedent. The "Great Britain" part of the name was formed by the Acts of Union in 1707. Will the remainder of the UK be called something like the United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland?

As I said, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland did not cease to exist, it became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

True, the EU did not exist at that time, but the League of Nations did.

After Irish independence the UK remained a member of the League of Nations and the Irish Free State (later the Republic of Ireland) had to apply for membership, which was granted.

That is a precedent.

The Act of Union, 1707, formed the political entity of the Kingdom of Great Britain.

The Act of Union, 1800, added Ireland to the Union to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Great Britain and Ireland are the geographical names for the two largest islands of the British archipelago.

All of which is somewhat moot.

No one from the EU has made the slightest suggestion that if Scotland leaves the UK that the membership of the remainder of the UK, whatever it's called, is in any doubt.

It is the new country, an independent Scotland, which will have to apply for membership.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

From my perception, the clear majority of Scots would rather stay in the Union. The trouble is that if they all think that, they may not bother turning up to vote.

The Secessionists are quite passionate, so they will definitely turn out.

Could be interesting.

• Like 1

From my perception, the clear majority of Scots would rather stay in the Union. The trouble is that if they all think that, they may not bother turning up to vote.

Could be interesting.

That will probably be the same with the UK referendum on the EU.

As long as Billy Connolly becomes President its a good idea biggrin.png .

In this mornings Metro.

Comedian Billy Connolly is refusing to vote in the Scottish independence referendum, which he described as a "morass that I care not to dip my toe into".

The 71-year-old Glaswegian said:"I think the Scots will come to a good conclusion in the referendum, they'll get what they deserve".

Ah yes, Billy Connolly;

Connolly booed over hostage joke

The comic got a cool reception after using material about the hostage at the Carling Apollo, Hammersmith. Connolly also made disparaging remarks about Mr Bigley's Thai wife.

Could be interesting.

inclined to agree

Same scenario when they have votes in the states on gun control.