Scotland to become independent in March 2016 if referendum passes

News_Editor

^^^^^^^^^O.K let's write off the oil revenues against the £45 Billion owed by RBS. Clean slate!

The cost of decommissioning North Sea Oil in 30-40 years time when it runs out will cost more than they will have earned from day 1 of independence.

Salmon & the SNP's holy grail is North Sea Oil!

If i was Scottish i would kick the nationalist's into touch, where they belong.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not only will Scotland be out of the EU so will the two SNP MEPs...

[along with two Labour, one Conservative and one Lib Dem]

Of those who lose their seats in Westminster and Brussels I can see many heading south, but then I do not think the SNP lot will get many votes.

I suppose many will also get kicked out of the upper too...

Don't want foreigners in Westminster.

Can't have a right honorable gentleman from Aberdeen, any more than we can have one from Gdansk.

You might be pushed to find an "honourable gentleman" in Aberdeen...!

Gdansk? No such problem.

• Like 1

Not only will Scotland be out of the EU so will the two SNP MEPs...

[along with two Labour, one Conservative and one Lib Dem]

Of those who lose their seats in Westminster and Brussels I can see many heading south, but then I do not think the SNP lot will get many votes.

I suppose many will also get kicked out of the upper too...

Don't want foreigners in Westminster.

Can't have a right honorable gentleman from Aberdeen, any more than we can have one from Gdansk.

You might be pushed to find an "honourable gentleman" in Aberdeen...!

Gdansk? No such problem.

There's no need to insult us....you see....I am being forced to take the side of the Aberdonian.

Gawd help me! :-p

• Like 2

a lot of companies will have to relocate to London from jockland if they vote yes .

banks especially and prolly oil companies will get cold feet due to the new currency that will have to be reformed .

new jock money will have to be used to pay for everything and shareholders may jump ship before the pack of cards collapses .

chaos will ensue when the pound is no more .

*Posts in messed up quotes have been deleted*

I am sorry Nontabury but I had to erase some posts to enable me to post and I made a bit of a mess of it and

deleted more than I intended.

As for your remaining question I really don't know 40 years ago I was in my 20s and couldn't care less and for

the 260 years previous to that I haven't got the slightest idea if you are right or wrong and is it really relevant to

what is happening today??

I would like my country to have the opportunity to be a nation in its own right and to have the ability to control

its own destiny win or lose and being a Scot I firmly believe we will in fact flourish beyong anyones wildest

imagination and there is only one way for us to find out, Independence. This is why I feel the way I feel, hope

that clears things up for many of you.

Cheers. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

I am afraid I have given up on asking you (7by7) any more questions because you just don't have any

answers, that are of any relevance. sad.png

Translation; you don't like the answers.

You say you don't care for Salmond; but you share his capacity for dismissing as irrelevant the awkward questions and facts which don't suit your position.

Like that verbose supporter of Scottish independence Sean Connery, you don't live in Scotland. So you, like he, can happily support independence in the sure knowledge that you wont have to suffer the consequences of a 'Yes' vote if (when) the proverbial hits the fan.

As for me, I have already stated that I consider the union to be greater than the sum of it's parts and that I think it will suffer if Scotland leaves; but the remainder of the union has far less to lose if that happens than Scotland does.

I have given many reasons for holding that opinion in many posts, that you choose to ignore rather than challenge those reasons is your problem, not mine.

I have also stated before that, being a democrat, I will support the decision of the Scottish people; even if they make the wrong one.

Democracy is not about voting -- as anyone in Thailand knows these days ;) What about the "vote" of Crimeans to join Russia? South Sudan split off.. the list goes on. Scotland's situation is only one of many similar ones around the world

a lot of companies will have to relocate to London from jockland if they vote yes .

banks especially and prolly oil companies will get cold feet due to the new currency that will have to be reformed .

new jock money will have to be used to pay for everything and shareholders may jump ship before the pack of cards collapses .

chaos will ensue when the pound is no more .

I'm sensing a tongue well in cheek....or a serious drama queen at work here.....biggrin.png

The fact of the matter is that the topic is polluted by people who really don't know what they are talking about. Totally unaware that Scotland is the only part of the UK that is a net exporter of goods. Let us off the leash and industrial output will soar.

They also choose to ignore that it's already been stated that Scotland will be given a AAA credit rating from the get go, that's better than the UK's current AA. They also forget that Salmond is running rings round Westminster.

Westminster......"No you can't share currency Union with us"

Salmond............."If we're not sharing the assets we're not sharing the debt, so ram your 160 billion quid debt up yer ass"

Westminster......."gulp"

As for the Scottish pound, we have one already. We've had one for hundreds of years. We can cash it in many foreign countries including Thailand. We get lower rate because of the aggravation factor, nothing to do with the actual value. Once it's a sovereign currency we'll start trading on equal measure in the international markets.

Who would you back in this race? An oil rich nation that's debt free and a net exporter? or a country that has £1.6 trillion debts and is suffering the second worst balance of payments deficit in the world.

I know who I would bet on.

• Like 1

The fact of the matter is that the topic is polluted by people who really don't know what they are talking about. Totally unaware that Scotland is the only part of the UK that is a net exporter of goods. Let us off the leash and industrial output will soar.

They also choose to ignore that it's already been stated that Scotland will be given a AAA credit rating from the get go, that's better than the UK's current AA. They also forget that Salmond is running rings round Westminster.

Salmond............."If we're not sharing the assets we're not sharing the debt, so ram your 160 billion quid debt up yer ass"

Westminster......."gulp"

As for the Scottish pound, we have one already. We've had one for hundreds of years. We can cash it in many foreign countries including Thailand. We get lower rate because of the aggravation factor, nothing to do with the actual value. Once it's a sovereign currency we'll start trading on equal measure in the international markets.

Who would you back in this race? An oil rich nation that's debt free and a net exporter? or a country that has £1.6 trillion debts and is suffering the second worst balance of payments deficit in the world.

I know who I would bet on.

I'm sold!

I'm thinking of a move to Scotland in the future for the free university fees alone for my children.

Can anyone clarify if i would be allowed to move before the Yes vote and stay as a citizen of Scotland enjoying all the benefits.

Or would all none Scottish by birth be sent south seeking asylum in the asylum.

Just askin'

So its our oil, your debt.

Perhap the UK government would be well advised to sell off its assets (North Sea oil) and clear its debt, so that the arguments become moot when 2016 comes along.

SC

Perhap the UK government would be well advised to sell off its assets (North Sea oil) and clear its debt, so that the arguments become moot when 2016 comes along.

SC

At least we are clear that the English have no other assets....bar a few old tin mines in Cornwall of course!

I am a patriotic Scot and I love my homeland.

But independence is not a consideration for me. The union jack is a flag that signifies the union of a nation, Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales, that union was formed for a reason, to keep all nerdeeweels from our shores, much as I dislike most English people, I would hate to leave them to fight on their own - they would soon turn into French and that would b a dam_n site worse neighbour!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I can't believe you hate me...........w00t.gif ................sad.png

SC

At least we are clear that the English have no other assets....bar a few old tin mines in Cornwall of course!

The small countries I can think of that have done best since independence have benefited from a lack of resources, and therefore a need to develop their population. North Sea oil would be a hindance to our independence. And I don't think that we have anyone of the calibre of Lee Kuan Yew to lead us.

SC

• Like 2

the jocks have no plans for a new currency in hand even though they have been told by all parties that they cant use the pound.

chaos ensues when they vote yes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26489307

companies to relocate here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/standard-life-set-to-move-south-if-scots-vote-yes-to-independence-9158834.html

the jocks have no plans for a new currency in hand even though they have been told by all parties that they cant use the pound.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/standard-life-set-to-move-south-if-scots-vote-yes-to-independence-9158834.html

A right wing bank report....umm yeah ok.

Standard Life covering their asses?

Well they are an insurance group!

Doh!!!

No one has explained how an independent Scotland will cope with the mass unemployment resulting from the closure of British defence bases in and the removal of British defence contracts from an Independent Scotland.

Can you do so?

They also choose to ignore that it's already been stated that Scotland will be given a AAA credit rating from the get go, that's better than the UK's current AA.

Really?

Independent Scotland would lose UK's AAA rating, warns Citigroup

S&P warns Scotland would struggle to match UK credit rating

As for Salmond running rings around Westminster; he may believe it, those who only read the guff from his various publicity organs may believe it; nobody else does.

You have a biased link for every occasion 7by7...yet we are not concerned by this scaremongering.

An independent Scotland will attract new investment and look to export goods in our own fashion without Westminster interference.

Things will change....some better and some worse in the short term...but in the longer view much better for Scotland.

• Like 1

A biased link?

A link to a factual report of the opinion of S&P, the people who actually set the credit rating, is biased?

You seem to be as delusional as Salmond! Anything which doesn't agree 100% with his opinion is biased against him; anything which does agree with him is fair and independent!

You seem to think that the UK only has an AA rating when in fact it has AAA!

From the Telegraph report

Analysts at Citigroup, America’s third-largest lender, have said that if Scotland was deprived of a formal currency union, it would qualify for only a single-A credit rating — two notches lower than the “gold-plated” grade given to the UK by S&P. Other countries with a single-A rating include Botswana and Trinidad & Tobago.

The bank’s verdict comes despite claims by Alex Salmond, the Scottish First Minister, over the impact on the Westminster government coffers from the loss of North Sea oil revenues.

“The direct effects of Scottish independence would probably be to marginally cut the fiscal deficit of the rest of the UK, since Scotland’s fiscal deficit slightly exceeds the UK level,” said Citi’s team of analysts in the 20-page report.

Perhaps the most telling part of the report is

A spokesman for the Scottish government did not respond to a request for comment.

Very strange! Normally they are very willing to comment on anything and everything!

Why the silence on this?

• Like 2

Moody's and Fitch have already downgraded the UK's rating....and the S&p report said the outlook was not favourable if things continue in the same manner.

Mind you 7by7....I am sure you will prosper without having to bale us out eh?

Certainly not favourable for an independent Scotland!

Even if the UK is downgraded to AA, an independent Scotland would still be just A!

But Salmond and his government wont comment on this. Doubtless in the hope that it will go away and the Scottish people wont notice.

Unfortunately for him, but fortunately for them, the Scottish people are far more intelligent that Salmond gives them credit for!

Certainly not favourable for an independent Scotland!

Even if the UK is downgraded to AA, an independent Scotland would still be just A!

But Salmond and his government wont comment on this. Doubtless in the hope that it will go away and the Scottish people wont notice.

Unfortunately for him, but fortunately for them, the Scottish people are far more intelligent that Salmond gives them credit for!

Interesting that you make no comment on the rest of the UK's future without Scotland 7by7....we are not concerned at all....remember we will have the oil and a trade surplus.

You will have trillions of debt hanging over you.

The future isn't rosy....its prickly!

biggrin.png

Have you read the links? If you have, you have obviously failed to understand them!

You have also obviously either not read or failed to understand the posts where I have said that I believe the UK to be greater than the sum of it's parts and that whilst all parts of the UK will lose if Scotland becomes independent, Scotland has more to lose than the remainder of the UK; particularly England.

Maybe, like Salmond and phuketjock, you ignore or dismiss as irrelevant all statements, arguments and evidence which does not fit in with your own opinions?

why worry if them jocks wish to commit economic suicide ? i dont care what they do with their pensions .

they will all need new passports too to ad to the bill

Edited by 3NUMBAS

Have you read the links? If you have, you have obviously failed to understand them!

You have also obviously either not read or failed to understand the posts where I have said that I believe the UK to be greater than the sum of it's parts and that whilst all parts of the UK will lose if Scotland becomes independent, Scotland has more to lose than the remainder of the UK; particularly England.

Maybe, like Salmond and phuketjock, you ignore or dismiss as irrelevant all statements, arguments and evidence which does not fit in with your own opinions?

I simply disagree with you 7by7....I find your argument loose and baseless...as I do the Consevative government's approach....and they know they have no mandate to govern in Scotland any more either.....so feel free to fly away....

As opposed to what? A left wing bank like the Co-op under Mr Flowers.....maybe not.

As opposed to what? A left wing bank like the Co-op under Mr Flowers.....maybe not.

The Yes Campaign is totally blinkered with tunnel vision.

A single issue party with no answers just bluff and nationalistic patriotism.

No one has explained how an independent Scotland will cope with the mass unemployment resulting from the closure of British defence bases in and the removal of British defence contracts from an Independent Scotland.

Can you do so?

They also choose to ignore that it's already been stated that Scotland will be given a AAA credit rating from the get go, that's better than the UK's current AA.

Really?

Independent Scotland would lose UK's AAA rating, warns Citigroup

S&P warns Scotland would struggle to match UK credit rating

As for Salmond running rings around Westminster; he may believe it, those who only read the guff from his various publicity organs may believe it; nobody else does.

I think there's probably a good chance that the bases will remain under a bilateral agreement, perhaps without the nuclear element. The British Army may well keep the Scottish regiment just as it kept the Irish regiments (and recruitment from the Republic of Ireland) in the event of independence.