Scotland to become independent in March 2016 if referendum passes

News_Editor

What difficulties? Going through border controls is hardly an onerous task. I think the remaining UK might be much more fussy about who gets in from a Scotland within Schengen.

P.S. Maybe an independent Scotland within Schengen would precipitate the remaining UK into joining Schengen as well -- and ROI would meekly follow wink.png

Edited by jpinx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do beg Salmond's pardon; it seems May's comments have at last prompted him to speak on the CTA.

From today's the agreement I referred to in an earlier post between the Irish and UK governments (if I could find it, why couldn't he or his advisors?) and is once again trying to convince the Scottish people that he will get his way on everything!.

jpinx, I'm afraid that you are showing how little the problems this could cause are understood by ordinary Scots.

f you want to dig out your passport or identity card every time you want to travel to any other part of the British Isles, that's up to you.

How many other Scots would agree?

If you want to obtain the appropriate entry clearance for your Thai, or other non EEA national, partner to travel with you; your choice.

How many other Scots with non EEA national partners would agree?

The IoM and Channel Islands are not officially part of the EU, nor the UK.

But they are Crown Dependencies and their borders are controlled by UKVI; that is UK Visas and Immigration.

Salmond mentioning them shows that he either knows nothing about border controls for those islands, or hopes that his audience does!

Either that or he wants Scotland to have the same status as the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands; Crown Dependencies with all the important decisions made in Westminster!

As already said; little room for negotiation.

He joins Schengen and has to abide by their immigration rules and requirements; or he joins the CTA and has to have very similar immigration rules and requirements to those of the UK and RoI.

Edited by 7by7

Essentially, yes.

But if Scotland is not in the CTA then full border checks will be in place between Scotland and the rest of the UK and Scotland and the RoI.

The same as already exist between the UK and RoI and all other EEA states.

The matter will, of course, be further complicated until such time as Scotland is admitted to the EU.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

Which makes me revert again to what I said about it not being necessary to set everything in stone prior to the vote.

Your own quote said that the CTA was the preferred solution, in which case there'll be virtually no change on the border

Edited by jpinx

The only thing that would make me vote for independence would be English people.

I'm quite surprised that so many of them think that they could survive on their own.,

SC

EDIT: I don't think the Kingdom will get a separate vote, but just in case - FREEDOMFIRFIFE!

Yerdedonthairbytheway, Cowboy. We'll be well shotaithaygetsfaesouthaetheTay

Let's face it, Imam, ye're just wanting to dust off yer dishdash and say "Ah'm an Oil Arab too, fae the Sands ae Tannadice"; but seriously whair are ye goin' tae park yer camel?

Sands ae Broughty Ferry, if ye recall correctly, Ah think ye'll find, and ye were chucked oot ai' thair fir tossin' a coin intae sombdae's donut, or a meringue?"

No, ye'r right, it was a donut

Edited by StreetCowboy

digging your passport out to go to Engerland is not a problem at all for ordinary Scots in a free Scotland .might wrangle a few English people though which is more your point me thinks.

For British people, it will just be an inconvenience. It will hinder the access of illegal immigrants in England to Scottish social services, though.

• Like 1

Which makes me revert again to what I said about it not being necessary to set everything in stone prior to the vote.

Your own quote said that the CTA was the preferred solution, in which case there'll be virtually no change on the border

Preferred by Salmond; for sure.

But neither the UK nor the RoI are going to let an independent Scotland join unless it's visa etc. requirements are very similar to their own.

Also, what's Salmond going to do when the EU say that Scotland can only join the EU if it also joins Schengen; as they have to all new members since 2004?

digging your passport out to go to Engerland is not a problem at all for ordinary Scots in a free Scotland .might wrangle a few English people though which is more your point me thinks.

For British people, it will just be an inconvenience. It will hinder the access of illegal immigrants in England to Scottish social services, though.

As Salmond's current plan is to make it easier for immigrants to enter Scotland; more the other way round!

As Salmond's current plan is to make it easier for immigrants to enter Scotland; more the other way round!

The Scottish immigrants will be legal, ad probably unwilling to migrate to England. On the other hand, England is rank with illegal foreigners, according to what I read on these pages.

Should be OK as long as they change their money to sterling that is accepted in England.wink.png

Should be OK as long as they change their money to sterling that is accepted in England.wink.png

I think that the intention that Scotland will to use either Sterling, or Euros, either of which are widely used in England, if my recollection serves me well. We have never suffered substantially to date with our own currency. I do fear that independence could spell the end of Royal Bank of Scotland bank notes

SC

SC,

Illegal immigration is a problem in all parts of the current UK; including Scotland. (Scottish firms fined £1.3m for their illegal migrant staff)

Euros are not widely used anywhere in the UK. You may find a few shops in tourist areas accepting them; ditto pay phones in those areas. But that's it.

That sounds to me like Scottish companies are being held back by overly restrictive legislation from employing their first choice of employees.

My experience is that big British companies like Marks and Spencer will accept Euros wherever. Perhaps Marks and Spencer don't have a branch in whatever boondock you live.

My view is that it would be churlish to turn our back on our English dependents, and geopolitically, we would be handing our current authority to a bunch of poorly educated bigots, but sadly, I have to rely on my more parochial compatriots to do what is best for our country, and also our nation.

SC

So illegal immigrants in England are a bad thing to be kept out of Scotland; but illegal immigrants in Scotland are an asset to the Scottish economy who are being held back by the unfair legislation of the English!

In the words of a certain retired tennis player and BBC commentator:

You cannot be serious!

Do tell which branch of M&S have accepted your Euros.

The wife works for a national retailer (multi national actually; they have branches all over Europe and even in Thailand!); her branch doesn't accept Euros. Still, as we are just outside the M25 I guess we must be in the boondocks.

I will immediately tie some string around my trousers just below my knees, put on a smock and start chewing a blade of grass.

Where's the cyder?

• Like 2

So illegal immigrants in England are a bad thing to be kept out of Scotland; but illegal immigrants in Scotland are an asset to the Scottish economy who are being held back by the unfair legislation of the English!

In the words of a certain retired tennis player and BBC commentator:

You cannot be serious!

Do tell which branch of M&S have accepted your Euros.

The wife works for a national retailer (multi national actually; they have branches all over Europe and even in Thailand!); her branch doesn't accept Euros. Still, as we are just outside the M25 I guess we must be in the boondocks.

I will immediately tie some string around my trousers just below my knees, put on a smock and start chewing a blade of grass.

Where's the cyder?

You seem to misunderstand. In the future, legal immigrants in Scotland will contribute to our economy, whereas at present the UK legislation discourages them from doing so. If they are allowed to live, work, and pay tax in Scotland, they are unlikely to seek to go South.

I forget whether it was an Edinburgh or Glasgow branch of M & S - or perhaps London. I can imagine that the Thai branch might not accept Euros, since the repatriation may be problematic, also given the arbitrary controls on foreign currency exchange and remittance in Thailand - am I right in thinking you are proposing similar constraints on Sterling, or will it remain freely exchangeable outside the residual UK?

SC

SC

Legal immigrants already contribute to the economy of the UK as a whole; I fail to see how Scottish independence will change this.

Of course, if an independent Scotland does relax it's immigration requirements then not only will this allow more legal immigration; it will also make it easier for illegal immigrants to live and work there.

I see that you have changed your tune over the acceptability of Euros in the UK; i.e. accepted in large retailers in major tourist areas like Edinburgh, Glasgow and London; but not generally accepted in the UK..

What the acceptability of Euros, Sterling or any foriegn currency in Thailand and Thai monetary controls have to do with Scottish independence, only you know.

Question: Can I Spend My Leftover Euros in the UK?
Answer: The answer to this question is both a no and - surprisingly - a yes.

First the no: The official currency of the UK is the pound Sterling. Shops and service providers, as a rule, only take Sterling. If you use a credit card, regardless of the currency in which you pay your bills, the card will be charged with sterling and your final credit card bill will reflect currency exchange and whatever fees your issuing bank levies on foreign exchange.

And now for the yes: Some of the UK's bigger department stores, especially the ones that are tourist attractions in themselves, will take Euros and some other foreign currencies (US Dollar, Japanese Yen). Selfridges(all branches) and Harrods will both take Euros at their ordinary cash registers. Marks and Spencer does not take foreign currency at the cash register but it, like other stores popular with visitors, has bureau de change - where you can readily change money - in most of its larger stores.

Lately, I've also noticed that pay telephone boxes in London and some other popular tourist spots, have started accepting Euros too.

If you are thinking of spending Euros in London or elsewhere in the UK, keep in mind that:

• Exchange rates calculated at the cash registers by the stores that take Euros may not be the most beneficial or may be out of date.
  • Shop assistants are not really accustomed to taking foreign currency and your transaction may take longer than you'd like.
  • Those stores that do take Euros will generally only take Euro notes - they will not take coins.
  • You will have to pay for your goods using one currency or another. You cannot pay for part of your purchase with Euros and part of it with pounds Sterling.

if you can find a bank that holds English money is of more concern than a passport...........certainly the main branch of the RBS in the capital of Scotland had NONE when i went 2 months back .

if you can find a bank that holds English money is of more concern than a passport...........certainly the main branch of the RBS in the capital of Scotland had NONE when i went 2 months back .

Enjoy spending Scottish pounds then.......in Scotland of course.

The only thing that would make me vote for independence would be English people.

I'm quite surprised that so many of them think that they could survive on their own.,

SC

EDIT: I don't think the Kingdom will get a separate vote, but just in case - FREEDOMFIRFIFE!

Let's face it, Imam, ye're just wanting to dust off yer dishdash and say "Ah'm an Oil Arab too, fae the Sands ae Tannadice"; but seriously whair are ye goin' tae park yer camel?

Sands ae Broughty Ferry, if ye recall correctly, Ah think ye'll find, and ye were chucked oot ai' thair fir tossin' a coin intae sombdae's donut, or a meringue?"

Not only would England survive without the Scott's, I think it will prosper without the burdon.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Maybe that could be due to the demand from Scott's going on holiday, who realise that most places outside Scotland will not accept monopoly money.

SC

Not only would England survive without the Scott's, I think it will prosper without the burdon.

yes the English are running scared of the thought of life without Scotland to prop up their economy.......

You reckon smile.png .

SC

+1 and england would not need to again suffer a labour government but it wont happen vote will be to stay with UK by massive margin

There are a lot of factors to consider before CTA could be agreed, most importantly will Scotland be admitted to the EU and under what terms, I,e. will Scotland have to be part of Schengen and use the Euro, and will the UK be staying in the EU?

One thing for sure is if Scotland becomes part of the Schengen area there would be a need for strict boarder control.