Scotland to become independent in March 2016 if referendum passes

Unless the Scots are terminally stupid, they will of course vote no to independence.

Apart from the whole raft of fiscal reasons, their fragile emotional psyche could not bear being unable to blame the English for every single one of their real or imagined problems.

On the other hand, there is absolutely no doubt what would happen if the English were given the exact same referendum.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no difference between any of the people of the United Kingdom except that which is created. Eire did a good job in splitting from the UK , but there would have been trouble if those that wanted it, had not been given the right to remain British in all but name, even that was not enough for that little corner called Ulster because that was where the money was going, British money.

I imagine a similar situation in Scotland, but most of the money is in the North Sea where the inhabitants won't survive if they start quarrelling amonst themselves.

Scotland will lose its representation in parliament, which has little bearing on Scotish issues anyway but with that, will go a voice in fiscal policy. If Scotland chooses to use the pound sterling or the US dollar or, until they print their own independant currency or join the Euro is of no great importance to the rest of the UK.

This whole mischievous enterprise is merely a matter of selfishness and greed in one group of Brits. who by virtue of geography can define themselves as different from the larger group and garner for themselves a little bit more of the ever reducing pie, leave the sinking ship if you like! If it turns out to be so much better then we can go North or if worse they can come South, the situation unchanged from the present, except perhaps for the flags!

The worst aspect of the whole enterprise is that it divides people; never a good idea.

From what I have read in the press the youngsters of scotland are likely to put the kybosh on AS's master plan. They at least, it seems, are not led by a long and bitter lifetime of revelling in their own jingoism.

But, like I said, I am willing to bet the English would kick out the Scots if ever they were given the chance. That's what a lifetime of being blamed for everything does to you.

• Like 1

So, Phuketjock, according to you, and so one assumes Salmond, Scotland will keep the pound because the Bank of England belongs to all of us.

But only Scotland will keep the oil revenues because they only belong to Scotland!

As I said before; independence in the matters that suit Scotland, but still with the back up of being bailed out by England.

BTW, I know where the money for North Sea oil exploration came from; as I said; it wasn't the Scots!

As for Scotland using the oil to take fiscal care of itself; has no one mentioned to Salmond that the oil is running out and what is left is becoming more and more difficult, and therefore expensive, to extract?

As the figures show, without the oil more government money is spent in Scotland than it contributes; even with Salmond's calculation of the share of the oil revenue it's a close thing!

What is he going to do in 20 to 30 years time when the oil has gone; come cap in hand back to Westminster?

He mentions the Norwegian example as the cure all; but most economists agree that it is too late to start that; if it was going to be done it should have been done 30 years ago at least.

What is the legal tender in Scotland at the moment?

In many parts it's The Giro

The same as in other parts of the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

What is the legal tender in Scotland at the moment?

In many parts it's The Giro

The same as in other parts of the UK.

Except it can be a real hassle having a fistful of Scottish bank notes overseas.

• Like 1

So, Phuketjock, according to you, and so one assumes Salmond, Scotland will keep the pound because the Bank of England belongs to all of us.

But only Scotland will keep the oil revenues because they only belong to Scotland!

As I said before; independence in the matters that suit Scotland, but still with the back up of being bailed out by England.

BTW, I know where the money for North Sea oil exploration came from; as I said; it wasn't the Scots!

As for Scotland using the oil to take fiscal care of itself; has no one mentioned to Salmond that the oil is running out and what is left is becoming more and more difficult, and therefore expensive, to extract?

As the figures show, without the oil more government money is spent in Scotland than it contributes; even with Salmond's calculation of the share of the oil revenue it's a close thing!

What is he going to do in 20 to 30 years time when the oil has gone; come cap in hand back to Westminster?

He mentions the Norwegian example as the cure all; but most economists agree that it is too late to start that; if it was going to be done it should have been done 30 years ago at least.

7by7 It is my belief that Scotland can if it wishes keep the pound, not because Scotland is part owner

of the bank of England but, because they wish to keep it as their currency and to date, apart from

blustering politicians and sensational journalists claiming this and claiming that, I have yet to see or hear any

valid legal reason why Scotland could not keep the pound as an independent nation.

And yes Scotland will keep the revenues from oil that is extracted from anywhere within the legal boundaries

of internationally recognised maritime Scottish waters. Just as any oil revenues from oil extracted from within

the legal internationally recognised waters of England would of course go to the English government.

Instead of continually asking where the money for north sea oil exploration came from if you know then enlighten

us all. I still believe that the majority of investors were and are large oil companies and private investors but

prove me wrong if you can.

Many of the latest estimates give north sea oil up to 100 years further production and as the cost of extraction rises

so does the price of oil.

I have already stated that discussing figures without including oil revenue is nothing more than a red herring

and shear waste of time.

So with the recent possible 100 years estimates it is probably not too late to follow Norways example.

coffee1.gif

There are plenty new docs out to support Scottish economy one being standard and poors report.

The British empire is finished, stiff upper lip gone.

The pound if we want to keep it will be a decision in the best interests of all, not some peers in Westminster squealing they won't accept it, one thing people should realize that Scottish people should not be pushed.

There are plenty new docs out to support Scottish economy one being standard and poors report.

The pound if we want to keep it will be a decision in the best interests of all, not some peers in Westminster squealing they won't accept it, one thing people should realize that Scottish people should not be pushed.

I thought the pound was controlled by the bank of ENGLAND, not by the bank of UK..

Unless the Scots are terminally stupid, they will of course vote no to independence.

Apart from the whole raft of fiscal reasons, their fragile emotional psyche could not bear being unable to blame the English for every single one of their real or imagined problems.

On the other hand, there is absolutely no doubt what would happen if the English were given the exact same referendum.

This is so true. What have the Scottish nationalist managed to achieve so far, (disregarding those large numbers of Scott's who are not living in some sort of distorted history) it would seem that the people of the rest of the UK are increasingly fed up with the Scott's who are seen to be asking for everything their own way, true at the moment if you take North Sea oil into consideration, the Scottish economy is putting a BIT more into the pot than the rest of the country, but what about the previous 260 years, then it was a case of the Scott's being on the receiving end of a larger share of the UK's money, is it any coincidence that the growth of Scott's nationalism has coincided with the discovery of North sea oil.

In the event of separation, And I would certainly welcome such an event, why should the people of the UK help the Scott's out with their currency and economy as a whole, especially when the likes of Scottish Widows are preparing to abandon ship.

Just received a News Flash, Alex Salmonds has announced that the Chancellor of the exchequer for an independent Scotland will be sir Sean Connery( yes the wife beater) he of course does not live in Scotland, preferring the warmer climate of the Bahamas with it's tax advantages, however in 2016 he will visit Scotland for the independence celebrations, if AS can persuade the Spanish government to drops all financial charges against him.

This is so true. What have the Scottish nationalist managed to achieve so far, (disregarding those large numbers of Scott's who are not living in some sort of distorted history) it would seem that the people of the rest of the UK are increasingly fed up with the Scott's who are seen to be asking for everything their own way, true at the moment if you take North Sea oil into consideration, the Scottish economy is putting a BIT more into the pot than the rest of the country, but what about the previous 260 years, then it was a case of the Scott's being on the receiving end of a larger share of the UK's money, is it any coincidence that the growth of Scott's nationalism has coincided with the discovery of North sea oil.

In the event of separation, And I would certainly welcome such an event, why should the people of the UK help the Scott's out with their currency and economy as a whole, especially when the likes of Scottish Widows are preparing to abandon ship.

Just received a News Flash, Alex Salmonds has announced that the Chancellor of the exchequer for an independent Scotland will be sir Sean Connery( yes the wife beater) he of course does not live in Scotland, preferring the warmer climate of the Bahamas with it's tax advantages, however in 2016 he will visit Scotland for the independence celebrations, if AS can persuade the Spanish government to drops all financial charges against him.

cheesy.gif , the guy who lost bundles at Lloyd's..........cheesy.gif

Nobody is disputing that Scotland could continue to use the pound, they just would not have any say in the policies of "UK without Scotland" and Bank Of England's monetary policies which would control its value which would affect its import/exports.

Scotland can opt to use any currency it wishes , including the USDollar, Euro, Bitcoin or even Monopoly Money... they just will not have any fiscal control over it unless the issue their own currency, maybe we will see the re-emergence of the Scottish Groat

I thought the pound was controlled by the bank of ENGLAND, not by the bank of UK..

The people trying to stop a currency union have no real reason to do it other than to scare people into panic like standard life, if standard life want to leave I'm am sure someone else will fill their nice office on Lothian road and employ the staff that were pumped.

cheesy.gif , the guy who lost bundles at Lloyd's..........cheesy.gif

Well there you go. He's obviously got all the qualities and qualifications to be put in charge of the countries money, same as that other Scotsman Gordon Brown.