Scotland to become independent in March 2016 if referendum passes

Can we English people have a referendum to vote on if we want Scotland to remain in the United Kingdom? It seems to be all one way traffic. All these people getting referendums. English people never get referendums for anything.

Between 1973 and 1997, there were 4 referendums in Britain. Between 1997 and 2000, there have been 4 more. However, 7 of these were for local issues and only one was for a national question.

Two have been on Northern Ireland, 4 have been on devolution, one has been on the issue of the Lord Mayor of London. The national one was on whether Britain should join what was then the EEC (European Economic Community). This national one was held in 1975. Since then there has not been a national referendum.

It appears you may be right in that England is long overdue for a referendum. I'm a Yank, but I can call Whitehall and see if something be worked out. :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can we English people have a referendum to vote on if we want Scotland to remain in the United Kingdom? It seems to be all one way traffic. All these people getting referendums. English people never get referendums for anything.

Between 1973 and 1997, there were 4 referendums in Britain. Between 1997 and 2000, there have been 4 more. However, 7 of these were for local issues and only one was for a national question.

Two have been on Northern Ireland, 4 have been on devolution, one has been on the issue of the Lord Mayor of London. The national one was on whether Britain should join what was then the EEC (European Economic Community). This national one was held in 1975. Since then there has not been a national referendum.

It appears you may be right in that England is long overdue for a referendum. I'm a Yank, but I can call Whitehall and see if something can be worked out. :)

It appears you may be right in that England is long overdue for a referendum. I'm a Yank, but I can call Whitehall and see if something can be worked out. smile.png

I'm a Yank, but I can call Whitehall and see if something can be worked out.

Please do, tell them to stick Brussels and their EU up their jacksie, tell them we want Boris for PM.

Thanks for your help.

Tell them they can have HRH Catherine Ashton in return.

Can we English people have a referendum to find out if we want Scotland in the United Kingdom?

No. Because your opinion on that topic is irrelevant. You could seek a referendum to choose to leave the United Kingdom if you thought that England could manage by themselves, though

SC

• Like 1

Any chance that the Scots can house Betty Windsor and her dysfunctional family? She is after all 50% Scottish. Since the other half is German, maybe you could share her with them ?

On a lighter note,there used to be a pub on the English/Scottish border near a town called Berwick where the the border actually went through the pub. They had a white line painted on the floor. The white border line also went through the gents toilet,so you could stand in England and Pee into Scotland. What I want to know is,if Scotland gets independence can we English still Pee into it.

• Like 2

Here we go then, the facts as they stand on Scotlands ability to handle independence.

Source

http://www.yesscotland.net/answers/does-scotland-have-what-it-takes-be-independent

Given that your source is the Yes campaign, one has to ask whether your lengthy post consists of facts or propaganda! Despite quoting my previous post in full, interestingly your lengthy post didn't deal with a single point I raised.

For the alternative viewpoint, including counter arguments to the Yes campaign's 'facts' see Better together and No Scotland.

I am English and a Unionist; but I am also a democrat. If the Scottish people do vote for independence, then I will wave a fond farewell and wish good luck to them.

But it should be full independence.

1) No monetary union with the UK.

2) No more financial bail outs to Scottish institutions from Westminster.

3) All UK government institutions, factories, defence bases etc. to leave Scotland.

4) Scotland responsible for it's own security and defence. Including paying for it.

5) Scots to choose; British or Scottish. If they choose Scottish then they lose their British passports and all other rights and privileges that British citizenship bestows.

6) Scots who renounce their British citizenship to take up Scottish citizenship who are living in the remainder of the UK to come under the EEA freedom of movement rules in order to remain there pending Scotland's admission to the EU. Which means, among other requirements, that unemployed Scots in, for example, England would need to find work within three months or return to Scotland.

7) If Scotland fails within a reasonable time frame to gain admission to the EU, then Scottish citizens living in the Uk to make Leave to Remain applications under the UK's immigration rules should they wish to remain.

8) The increased unemployment in Scotland due to the UK government leaving will have a serious effect on the rosy economic picture painted by the Yes campaign!

Etc., etc.

All that may seem a bit harsh, vindictive even. But you can't say you want to be independent when it suits, but remain British when independence is inconvenient; despite the line Salmond and his cronies are trying to peddle.

I'm not European, so my opinion doesn't amount to squat. But I think it would be better if Scotland (assuming it leaves the UK) would encourage the industry that's there from Britain. Most countries benefit from jobs created by business from other countries. Think of Thailand, China, and even the US which has car manufacturers from Japan, Germany etc. providing a lot of jobs where they are. The US even manufactures a lot of Airbus parts and is happy to do it.

I wouldn't join the EU. Its immigration rules are going really hard on the budgets and social structures of the more prosperous countries.

It wouldn't take long to make a Scottish passport valuable. All civilized countries would make agreements with Scotland even if it took a little while.

OK, off my soap box. I don't have an opinion as to whether Scotland "should" become independent.

• Like 2

Here we go then, the facts as they stand on Scotlands ability to handle independence.

Source

http://www.yesscotland.net/answers/does-scotland-have-what-it-takes-be-independent

Given that your source is the Yes campaign, one has to ask whether your lengthy post consists of facts or propaganda! Despite quoting my previous post in full, interestingly your lengthy post didn't deal with a single point I raised.

For the alternative viewpoint, including counter arguments to the Yes campaign's 'facts' see Better together and No Scotland.

I am English and a Unionist; but I am also a democrat. If the Scottish people do vote for independence, then I will wave a fond farewell and wish good luck to them.

But it should be full independence.

1) No monetary union with the UK.

2) No more financial bail outs to Scottish institutions from Westminster.

3) All UK government institutions, factories, defence bases etc. to leave Scotland.

4) Scotland responsible for it's own security and defence. Including paying for it.

5) Scots to choose; British or Scottish. If they choose Scottish then they lose their British passports and all other rights and privileges that British citizenship bestows.

6) Scots who renounce their British citizenship to take up Scottish citizenship who are living in the remainder of the UK to come under the EEA freedom of movement rules in order to remain there pending Scotland's admission to the EU. Which means, among other requirements, that unemployed Scots in, for example, England would need to find work within three months or return to Scotland.

7) If Scotland fails within a reasonable time frame to gain admission to the EU, then Scottish citizens living in the Uk to make Leave to Remain applications under the UK's immigration rules should they wish to remain.

8) The increased unemployment in Scotland due to the UK government leaving will have a serious effect on the rosy economic picture painted by the Yes campaign!

Etc., etc.

All that may seem a bit harsh, vindictive even. But you can't say you want to be independent when it suits, but remain British when independence is inconvenient; despite the line Salmond and his cronies are trying to peddle.

I'm not European, so my opinion doesn't amount to squat. But I think it would be better if Scotland (assuming it leaves the UK) would encourage the industry that's there from Britain. Most countries benefit from jobs created by business from other countries. Think of Thailand, China, and even the US which has car manufacturers from Japan, Germany etc. providing a lot of jobs where they are. The US even manufactures a lot of Airbus parts and is happy to do it.

I wouldn't join the EU. Its immigration rules are going really hard on the budgets and social structures of the more prosperous countries.

It wouldn't take long to make a Scottish passport valuable. All civilized countries would make agreements with Scotland even if it took a little while.

OK, off my soap box. I don't have an opinion as to whether Scotland "should" become independent.

I think you're quite right. Scotland could do very well by being independent. So long as the likes of Alex Salmond are consigned to the dustbin of history and Scotland keeps well clear of Brussels.

• Like 1

StreetCowboy,as an Englishman,I find your remark that Scottish independance from the UK has nothing to do with me a bit sad This is a two way thing. My main point was that English citizens never get referendums for anything but if you read the previous posts,and very intelligent ones,too,you will learn that it has everything to do with England.

If you went through divorce proceedings with your wife would you tell her it was nothing to do with her?

• Like 2