Scotland to become independent in March 2016 if referendum passes

News_Editor

I made holidays in Bonny Scotland in 1988 and 1991.
And im a bit proud to say, i drank some pints and whiskies in the home Pub of the famous band Nazareth. Many golden Albums on the walls of the Pub. Unfortunately, the band was in Spain on tour then, said the neice of the Drummer (R.I.P.) to me. Anyway, my friend and I won the Boccia game in the backyard of the Pub. I like Bonny Scotland.

Edited by Scott

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to the "Yes" campaigners, Scotland enjoys higher GDP than our compatriots South of the Tweed, so if it's not broke, why fix it? I know we feel hard done by, and disadvantaged, but that is because we are miserable whinging Scotch gits, and we should be proud of it. That doesn't mean we should not continue to look after our less fortunate English brothers.

SC

• Like 1

According to the "Yes" campaigners, Scotland enjoys higher GDP than our compatriots South of the Tweed, so if it's not broke, why fix it? I know we feel hard done by, and disadvantaged, but that is because we are miserable whinging Scotch gits, and we should be proud of it. That doesn't mean we should not continue to look after our less fortunate English brothers.

SC

Do you think Scotland would prosper on its own?

SC

Yes. Perhaps even more than we do just now. But it's national pride that would drive me to vote No, were I eligible to vote, not greed.

If the Scottish government were to say that they would halve the number of bureaucrats, slash red tape, and increase opportunity, then after a couple of years of seeing those words translated into action, I might vote Yes. But what I have seen is an increase in pettifogging, parochial bureaucracy, bumbling incompetence in managing major projects.

SC

Get Salmond and his bunch gone. It'll have a real chance then.

• Like 1

SC

Yes. Perhaps even more than we do just now. But it's national pride that would drive me to vote No, were I eligible to vote, not greed.

If the Scottish government were to say that they would halve the number of bureaucrats, slash red tape, and increase opportunity, then after a couple of years of seeing those words translated into action, I might vote Yes. But what I have seen is an increase in pettifogging, parochial bureaucracy, bumbling incompetence in managing major projects.

SC

Get Salmond and his bunch gone. It'll have a real chance then.

I'm sure we could dredge up worse from somewhere. The fact is that no Scot worth his salt will stay in his home country, for two reasons:

1) so that he has somewhere nice to go to on his holidays

2) because elsewhere his quality shines out and he stands head and shoulders above those around him.

95% of Scots think their country is the best in the world, and 15% would be willing to live there, if they had to.

SC

If Scotland becomes independent, what happens to Balmoral?

Well, some suggestions:

1. Turn it into a national park and Centre for the Environment.

2. It could become Scotland's version of Chequers. On second thoughts the cost would be unjustifiable.

3. Make it totally secure and keep the entire Royal family and all their hangers on under permanent house arrest, provided of course that it was all funded by Westminster.

Any other suggestions?

It needs to be a cash cow, so high end holiday destination. It would be a big earner.

Oh yes, I like it! Plenty of top-class Scottish huntin', shootin' and fishin' I believe. Perhaps the Royal family might even be 'game' for it!

Charlie and Camilla signed up to TV?

Where's theblether when Scottish independence is under discussion ? Last time it came up it didn't end happily wink.png

I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

It's not like my old mukka, Dr Evil, to miss this opportunity. He must be reading all 670 pages of the White Paper to try and find something positive to post about...

SC

Some of us south of the Tweed still count as Scottish residents I'll have you know! Or does the White Paper redraw the Scottish boundaries too, in an attempt to gerrymander out opponents of independence?

All the "jocks" I know, and I know quite a few, are disturbingly intelligent and hard working folks. Really are top drawer.

I honestly think Scotland would make a good go of it.

Quite agree, but aren't they the ones who have left Scotland? What does that leave behind?

All the "jocks" I know, and I know quite a few, are disturbingly intelligent and hard working folks. Really are top drawer.

Quite agree, but aren't they the ones who have left Scotland? What does that leave behind?

Our friends.

• Like 1

Our friends.

Plus family. Sad but true...

• Like 1

SC

Some of us south of the Tweed still count as Scottish residents I'll have you know! Or does the White Paper redraw the Scottish boundaries too, in an attempt to gerrymander out opponents of independence?

We should move the Tweed.

According to the "Yes" campaigners, Scotland

enjoys higher GDP than our compatriots South of the Tweed, so if it's not broke, why fix it? I

know we feel hard done by, and disadvantaged,

but that is because we are miserable whinging

Scotch gits, and we should be proud of it. That

doesn't mean we should not continue to look

after our less fortunate English brothers.

SC

Some of us south of the Tweed still count as Scottish residents I'll have you know! Or does

the White Paper redraw the Scottish boundaries

too, in an attempt to gerrymander out opponents

of independence?

We should move the Tweed.

But the salmon really wouldn't appreciate that....

A lack of national self-confidence.

The Scot's really need to go on the journey of self discovery and self determination. I think it's very important. This, over time, would heal many of the problems in society north of the border.

If they can keep the left-wing out of it and maintain small government, I think the place would thrive. Very industrious folks.

• Like 2

Where's theblether when Scottish independence is under discussion ? Last time it came up it didn't end happily wink.png

It's not like my old mukka, Dr Evil, to miss this opportunity. He must be reading all 670 pages of the White Paper to try and find something positive to post about...

Theblether is no longer with us, he has been dismissed sad.png.

Don't understand the Dr.Evil bit ?

Theblether is no longer with us, he has been dismissed sad.png.

Don't understand the Dr.Evil bit ?

I hope he is ok - whatever happened... wai.gif

As long as Billy Connolly becomes President its a good idea biggrin.png .

I don't think so, in his old age he's morphed into an establishment lackey and professional royal arse kisser.

Sadly he has cancer and Parkinson's disease. sad.png

I am very sorry to hear that. A phenomenal entertainer.

• Like 1

Skint seems to have had problems with the quote function, Chicog. It was actually me who asked that question.

I asked it because Balmoral is not owned by the Crown Estates but is the private property of the Queen, whose mother was Scottish.

So questions and speculation about the ownership and fate of Balmoral post independence are irrelevant unless the answer to my question is "Yes."

Especially as Salmond has said that an independent Scotland will retain the Queen as head of state.

Assuming she wants the role; which I think we can all accept as a given.

Maybe the rest of the UK will not like that, I personally prefer that the separation will be 100%

and according to opinion polls, the English are naturally more enthusiastic for the YES vote.

Many Commonwealth countries have the Queen as head of state, so personally I have no problem with her also being head of state of an independent Scotland; assuming an independent Scotland joins the Commonwealth.

As long as Billy Connolly becomes President its a good idea biggrin.png .

I don't think so, in his old age he's morphed into an establishment lackey and professional royal arse kisser.

Sadly he has cancer and Parkinson's disease. sad.png

I am very sorry to hear that. A phenomenal entertainer.

We all mellow with age, I suppose.

Apparently the cancer has been surgically removed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24358114

Sad to hear about the Parkinsons,

SC

I've thought of an alternative way forward.

Let's keep Scotland and England, Wales and Northern Ireland together and make the M25 motorway the new border. That way we can all get rid of you know what!

I commend this policy to the house!