Scotland to become independent in March 2016 if referendum passes

News_Editor

Still haven't had a real answer about the NO vote Scots if it goes tits up. Two posters here keep going on about how great it will be under King Salmond, BUT, if it does not what will YOU say here to those voters.....?

I want Scotland to become independent, but not with Alex Salmond in charge, he is a great politician who would wipe the floor with Cameron in a debate, but Salmond wants homosexual marriages, and that's why he will never get my vote.

So will / would you vote for independence on the understanding that, upon separation, another election would be called for the new parliament, possibly without Salmond as PM?

As I told Phuket Jock, yes I will, but as I have always had a very strong hatred for the Labour party all my adult life because they have always betrayed the working classes, I am not sure if I could bring myself to vote for a Scottish Labour party. I have always voted SNP apart from once, when I used a tactable vote for Margaret Thatcher because a vote at that time for the SNP would have been wasted.

I will just have to wait and see what parties will be putting themselves forward if Scotland get a yes vote which I don't think they will.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, ask if the needy kids dads have a car, ask if they ever have takeaways delivered, ask if they have a cell phone payed for by someone. Ask if the house has a computer and the running costs, have TV channels via satellite, ask if..................................... rolleyes.gif

I'm sure you could add to this list, beer, cigs, gambling, even designer cloths etc.

And for RuamRuby attention, in my house we don't have a TV, as I don't want my two children to have distractions from studying, so they can have a better education than myself and hopefully they will never have to rely on state benefits, not that there are any here in Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm sure you could add to this list, beer, cigs, gambling, even designer cloths etc.

And for RuamRuby attention, in my house we don't have a TV, as I don't want my two children to have distractions from studying, so they can have a better education than myself and hopefully they will never have to rely on state benefits, not that there are any here in Thailand.

What, in God's name, does this have to do with independence for Scotland? And why are you telling me about your parenting methods?

• Like 1

Still haven't had a real answer about the NO vote Scots if it goes tits up. Two posters here keep going on about how great it will be under King Salmond, BUT, if it does not what will YOU say here to those voters.....?

Scotland will vote no for independence Trans, mainly because the Scottish mentality is " my father voted Labour, so I must vote Labour" they are that stupid they can't think for themselves.

When the vote goes "tits up" it will be the same as before, they will be ruled by the Tories who most of them hate, If UKIP turn out not to be liars like the Tories, or even worse Labour, then I think UKIP would be the best bet for everyone.

• Like 2

As I told Phuket Jock, yes I will, but as I have always had a very strong hatred for the Labour party all my adult life because they have always betrayed the working classes, I am not sure if I could bring myself to vote for a Scottish Labour party. I have always voted SNP apart from once, when I used a tactable vote for Margaret Thatcher because a vote at that time for the SNP would have been wasted.

I will just have to wait and see what parties will be putting themselves forward if Scotland get a yes vote which I don't think they will.

Glad to hear it - the lie that independence would mean Salmond becomes supreme leader forever is particularly frustrating.

Personally, I support the idea of gay marriage, but this is not the place to discuss it. I think it just highlights that those who seek independence are not a single minded, brainwashed troop who worship at the altar of the SNP, but we have very diverse views on a wide range of issues.

Do you have any doubt that the current political parties would not continue to exist beyond independence? I actually think that there could be a resurgence of Tory (without the Unionist part) MPs in an independent Scottish parliament.

Scotland will vote no for independence Trans, mainly because the Scottish mentality is " my father voted Labour, so I must vote Labour" they are that stupid they can't think for themselves.

When the vote goes "tits up" it will be the same as before, they will be ruled by the Tories who most of them hate, If UKIP turn out not to be liars like the Tories, or even worse Labour, then I think UKIP would be the best bet for everyone.

Seems UKIP did very well in the MEP voting..........whistling.gif

• Like 1

What, in God's name, does this have to do with independence for Scotland? And why are you telling me about your parenting methods?

My reply was initially in reply to Transan' post, where he highlighted the fact that child poverty in Scotland, as mentioned firstly by yourself, is really relative. In our opinion the amount of so called poverty in the UK is very small, many of those families complaining about their financial status, are very keen to spend money on unnecessary luxuries, such as iPhones, multichannel T.V"s etc instead of turning their focus into improving the lives, and the aspirations of their families.

And you have exaggerated the poverty in Scotland, one of the most prosperous regions in the UK, suggesting that the blame (for this poverty) results from Scotland being part of the Union, well as an English supporter of our independence from Scotland, I think you will find, that on a YES vote in September, things will not differ substantially, and you will be governed by Scotsman of a equal caliber as those inflicted on the rest of the UK in recent decades.

• Like 1

Normally, we get into trouble for calling the Scots stupid. I don't think filial piety and respect for our fathers' opinions is a particularly Scottish trait. On the stupidity, I have to bow to your greater knowledge - most of the Scots I know are engineers of international renown, but I think that says more about the company that I keep than about the Scots

SC

Normally, we get into trouble for calling the Scots stupid. I don't think filial piety and respect for our fathers' opinions is a particularly Scottish trait. On the stupidity, I have to bow to your greater knowledge - most of the Scots I know are engineers of international renown, but I think that says more about the company that I keep than about the Scots

SC

Good post, but if there were not so many stupid Scots we would have been independent years ago. How do you think the British government keep trying all sorts of tricks to stop us from voting for independence. Have you read about Cameron and Miliband etc with all there scaremongering. if it was not of any benefit to the UK to keep us in the union, why don't they just say "your welcome to your independence, we don't need you"?

You don't have to be Einstein to work that out.

• Like 2

SC

Good post, but if there were not so many stupid Scots we would have been independent years ago. How do you think the British government keep trying all sorts of tricks to stop us from voting for independence. Have you read about Cameron and Miliband etc with all there scaremongering. if it was not of any benefit to the UK to keep us in the union, why don't they just say "your welcome to your independence, we don't need you"?

• Like 2

My reply was initially in reply to Transan' post, where he highlighted the fact that child poverty in Scotland, as mentioned firstly by yourself, is really relative. In our opinion the amount of so called poverty in the UK is very small, many of those families complaining about their financial status, are very keen to spend money on unnecessary luxuries, such as iPhones, multichannel T.V"s etc instead of turning their focus into improving the lives, and the aspirations of their families.

And you have exaggerated the poverty in Scotland, one of the most prosperous regions in the UK, suggesting that the blame (for this poverty) results from Scotland being part of the Union, well as an English supporter of our independence from Scotland, I think you will find, that on a YES vote in September, things will not differ substantially, and you will be governed by Scotsman of a equal caliber as those inflicted on the rest of the UK in recent decades.

Your considering of Scotland as a 'region' is wholly inadequate. We have prosperous areas and we have poverty stricken areas, much like everywhere else, but we are not a homogeneous country of comfortable people.

If anyone has exaggerated anything, it must be Oxfam or Save the Children, as the data I provided was exactly as their reports suggested. Are they lying?

I certainly don't think that the magic answer to poverty is independence, but I think the tools necessary to resolving tackling it can be found in independence.

Your insistence that poverty doesn't exist and that people are buying unnecessary luxuries at the expense of their children's welfare shows how out of touch you are from the real world.

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 1

Seems UKIP did very well in the MEP voting..........whistling.gif

And it looks like Scotland will have it's first UKIP M.E.P. No wonder Alex Salmonds seemed worried when interviewed on TV this morning, preferring to point out that only just over 3 % of the Scottish electorate voted for UKIP, as opposed to the figure of over 10% of those who actually voted. While at the same time forgetting to mention that the SNP received less than 10% of the electorate vote, instead preferring to quote the figure of 29%. Talk about a spin doctor, how can anybody in their right mind vote for such a charlatan.

SC

Because they are my government, and I expect my government to preserve its sovereign integrity against threats from within as well as outwith the Kingdom.

Personally I find it counter-productive to label as stupid those who hold a different view from me. Telling someone that they are stupid is inevitably going to be counter-productive, as if assertion is valid, they are unlikely to have the wit to learn from it.

My experience is that the proportion of dolts in Scotland is comparable to the rest of the Kingdom, and, just as throughout the rest of the realm, a surprising proportion acknowledge and even boast of their ignorance while refusing to appreciate their own thrawn stupidity.

SC

SC

StreetCowboy, maybe I'm using the wrong word, if the Scots I'm referring to think that Labour is the party on the working classes, then although I disagree strongly, I would not call them stupid, although I have used that word as a figure of speech, but the Scots who only vote labour because their father voted labour then I have to say they are stupid as they cannot think for themselves. I would say that everyone of us has at one time referred to other people as stupid, but I hope I have explained it.

• Like 1

StreetCowboy, maybe I'm using the wrong word, if the Scots I'm referring to think that Labour is the party on the working classes, then although I disagree strongly, I would not call them stupid, although I have used that word as a figure of speech, but the Scots who only vote labour because their father voted labour then I have to say they are stupid as they cannot think for themselves. I would say that everyone of us has at one time referred to other people as stupid, but I hope I have explained it.

Point taken, the same can be said of many people in the rest of the UK.

• Like 1

A vote for an independent Scotland is a vote for freedom, both sides of the border. So vote, please.coffee1.gif

I like this post, although you could have mentioned that the remaining UK will be the nett gainer.

Not my problem, its THEIR problem. smile.png

• Like 1

The future stares us in the face…saddled for ever to the blood-sucking Britnats and their Neanderthal new friends. Here’s what we can expect when Dave invites Nigel to be deputy Prime Minister.

http://derekbateman.co.uk/2014/05/26/better-together-the-proof/

If you were to read back through this thread you will notice that many of the YES supporters put the blame of the UK's woes, onto the London area and it's people, some even suggesting that the north of England and the other regions join Scotland and also break away from London's dominance. Well is't it ironic that UKIP did not do as well in London as in the the rest of the country, except for Scotland( if you disregard UKIP's vote only doubling since the last election).

Maybe a good idea if London were to also vote for separation from the UK and perhaps join Scotland. Any suggestions for a name for this new Scotland/London union?

The future stares us in the face…saddled for ever to the blood-sucking Britnats and their Neanderthal new friends. Here’s what we can expect when Dave invites Nigel to be deputy Prime Minister.

If you were to read back through this thread you will notice that many of the YES supporters put the blame of the UK's woes, onto the London area and it's people, some even suggesting that the north of England and the other regions join Scotland and also break away from London's dominance. Well is't it ironic that UKIP did not do as well in London as in the the rest of the country, except for Scotland( if you disregard UKIP's vote only doubling since the last election).

Maybe a good idea if London were to also vote for separation from the UK and perhaps join Scotland. Any suggestions for a name for this new Scotland/London union?

London - multi cultural, dynamic, open-minded, progressive. Yes, I can see many parallels with Scotland, however I cannot see London being our Kaliningrad. Also, we would most definitely not want Westminster as part of the deal, and an enclave within an enclave would be just too complicated logistically.

London - multi cultural, dynamic, open-minded, progressive. Yes, I can see many parallels with Scotland, however I cannot see London being our Kaliningrad. Also, we would most definitely not want Westminster as part of the deal, and an enclave within an enclave would be just too complicated logistically.

I was going to reply, what country do you live in, but on second thoughts perhaps I should ask what planet you live on. Let's look at the parallels according to you, between Scotland and London.

Scotland as multi cultural as London. Are you sure, according to figures supplied by the Scottish Nationalist Government for 2011 :- the minority ethnic population of Scotland is 4%. Compare that to a figure of 55% for London, figure for London supplied by Trust for London.

Dynamic, some people in Scotland I'm sure can be classified as dynamic, but as dynamic as those in London, doubt it. London is well known for attracting some of the most talented and dynamic people from around the world.

Open minded, just read through this thread.

Progressive, I'm sure many of the people are, unfortunately 30% are certainly not.

London 55% are classed as non

I was going to reply, what country do you live in, but on second thoughts perhaps I should ask what planet you live on. Let's look at the parallels according to you, between Scotland and London.

Scotland as multi cultural as London. Are you sure, according to figures supplied by the Scottish Nationalist Government for 2011 :- the minority ethnic population of Scotland is 4%. Compare that to a figure of 55% for London, figure for London supplied by Trust for London.

Dynamic, some people in Scotland I'm sure can be classified as dynamic, but as dynamic as those in London, doubt it. London is well known for attracting some of the most talented and dynamic people from around the world.

Progressive, I'm sure many of the people are, unfortunately 30% are certainly not.

London 55% are classed as non

Well you started with the parallels - so you will agree that we Scots have a smaller proportion of xenophobes, homophobes and racists than England, with the exception of London?

As for your rebuttal of my comparisons, I am not sure that absolutes are the best way to measure a group of people's characteristics. If that was appropriate, there would only be one country that could claim to be each of those qualities, and the rest would be languishing in its wake.

No, I will repeat, Scottish people are multi cultural, dynamic, open minded and progressive. All of those qualities will, I hope, shine through when we choose to unburden ourselves from that which drags us down, and we build a better, fairer and more inclusive future for our children.

Edited by RuamRudy

Well you started with the parallels - so you will agree that we Scots have a smaller proportion of xenophobes, homophobes and racists than England, with the exception of London?

As for your rebuttal of my comparisons, I am not sure that absolutes are the best way to measure a group of people's characteristics. If that was appropriate, there would only be one country that could claim to be each of those qualities, and the rest would be languishing in its wake.

No, I will repeat, Scottish people are multi cultural, dynamic, open minded and progressive. All of those qualities will, I hope, shine through when we choose to unburden ourselves from that which drags us down, and we build a better, fairer and more inclusive future for our children.

So if the FACTS don't agree with you, then you simple disregard them. Brilliant thinking.

No I certainly do not believe that Scotland has less xenophobes, homophobes and racist that England, but then I don't call people by these names just because I don't agree with them.

As for many Scotts being more open minded and progressive, well I think you have personally proven that not to be the case.

So if the FACTS don't agree with you, then you simple disregard them. Brilliant thinking.

No I certainly do not believe that Scotland has less xenophobes, homophobes and racist that England, but then I don't call people by these names just because I don't agree with them.

As for many Scotts being more open minded and progressive, well I think you have personally proven that not to be the case.

To be honest, I was trying to help you understand that what you previously wrote was poorly thought out, however I guess I was too subtle so let me try another way: I think that I can run quite fast when I want to, but it is an indisputable fact that Usain Bolt can run much faster than me. By your logic, I can therefore not claim to run fast at all. In fact, nobody can claim to be able to run fast unless they can, at least, equal the speed of Usain.

As for Scotland's share of backward thinking people, you are,sadly, probably correct on this one. Why that did not transpire into a larger share of the vote for UKIP, I cannot say; maybe our backward thinking people are less motivated to vote than their English counterparts.

Can I ask for a more detailed explanation of your last statement? For me, more of the same (i.e. the dead hand of Westminster) is the antithesis of progressive. I have a vision of a better life for all. Why do you consider my aspirations to be regressive and limited in vision?

oops - don't you just hate it when your coup de grace turns out to be a damp squib before you even opened your mouth?

Data on cost of Scots government ‘misleading’

Ministers in London have misled Scottish voters over how much it would cost to set up an independent government in Edinburgh, according to the man whose analysis underpins the Treasury’s case for Scotland remaining in the UK.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cf63cf8c-e5b4-11e3-a7f5-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=crm/email/2014?ftcamp=crm/email/2014527/nbe/ExclusiveComment/product_a2___a3__/nbe/ExclusiveComment/product&siteedition=uk#axzz32wwbO216

• Like 2

oops - don't you just hate it when your coup de grace turns out to be a damp squib before you even opened your mouth?

Ministers in London have misled Scottish voters over how much it would cost to set up an independent government in Edinburgh, according to the man whose analysis underpins the Treasury’s case for Scotland remaining in the UK.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cf63cf8c-e5b4-11e3-a7f5-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=crm/email/2014?ftcamp=crm/email/2014527/nbe/ExclusiveComment/product_a2___a3__/nbe/ExclusiveComment/product&siteedition=uk#axzz32wwbO216

Yes, by one shilling and sixpence.....................laugh.png

Yes, by one shilling and sixpence.....................laugh.png

You're not George Osbourne in disguise, are you?

Edited by RuamRudy

The experts confound Project Fear once again.

Experts Predict Nation Would Stay In EU

...Prof Avery said: "From a practical point of view, no member state has a material interest in Scotland remaining outside the EU, even for a short time. This would deprive the EU of Scotland's budgetary contribution, fisheries resources. Scotland outside the EU, and not applying EU rules, would be a legal nightmare for EU member states, whose citizens and enterprises would lose their rights in Scotland. No member state, particularly not the rest of the UK, would have an interest in creating such an anomaly."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/experts-predict-nation-would-stay-in-eu.24352215

• Like 1

The experts confound Project Fear once again.

Experts Predict Nation Would Stay In EU

...Prof Avery said: "From a practical point of view, no member state has a material interest in Scotland remaining outside the EU, even for a short time. This would deprive the EU of Scotland's budgetary contribution, fisheries resources. Scotland outside the EU, and not applying EU rules, would be a legal nightmare for EU member states, whose citizens and enterprises would lose their rights in Scotland. No member state, particularly not the rest of the UK, would have an interest in creating such an anomaly."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/experts-predict-nation-would-stay-in-eu.24352215

I thought Greece was the nightmare state at the mo................whistling.gif