16 countries now warn their citizens on travels to Thailand

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My flights are booked. UK - Swampy. Swampy - Issan. No need to enter Bangkok.

If they take over the airport.......

Sod it, I'm still coming!!

Again with the bloody airport. The ONLY reason the PAD were chased into the airport FIVE years ago was because Taksin was threatening a comeback. The paid thug redshirts just hastened their journey/extended their stay. They couldn't bloody leave. Jesus H enough already coffee1.gif

Chill, before you do yourself an injury, or have a heart attack!! laugh.png

The notice is for 2 different reasons.

1 it let's the Thai's know that Governments are starting to get concerned to the point that this is the first step towards recommending cancelling tours and flights. For people in Canada for instance it usually tells someone thinking of booking to be careful and not put to much money out until either their dates come up or the notice changes.

2. The second and most important is that as i have said before no one can say that they were not warned if something happens to them.

It's called covering their A**

• Like 1

Ah which shall I do , avoid involvement or shall I stay close to the protests?????

Meanwhile New Zealand also retained warning to its citizens issued end of September saying the protest in Thailand could spread and turn violent, It advised its citizens to "avoid any involvement in the protest or stay close to areas where protests are held".

I'm glad I'm in Cambodia. I made the move two years ago.

The recent election here and protesting had an enormous effect on tourism and the economy, similar to Thailand, unwarranted, warnings kept people away. Many local businesses shut up shop and waited out, what pretty much turned out to be a non event.

Thankfully things are back to normal now.

After living in Thailand for 16 years, (15 years in Bangkok), I keep seeing the Thais shoot themselves in the foot. It's pretty much obvious that many of those protesting have no idea what it is they are protesting about. Nor do they have any idea about the global or local economy, nor do they have any idea how much worse their actions are making things for themselves. I guess this is where you have to say "Som num na", which roughly translated means, "You get what you deserve"

If you want to get an idea of what Thailand was like 30-40 years ago, when people smiled and said hello, for no other reason to be polite and share the happiness, come visit here in Sihanoukville, while it lasts.

Few people from Western countries take notice of those advisories. They read/watch the news and make up their own minds.

Exactly, if you have a tour booked as a normal tourist or a P4P you just get out of bkk asap and go enjoy the rest that AMAZING Thailand has to offer.

Over charging, scams , assault, safe transport system etc etc w00t.gif

Most would not have insurance to cancel flights hotels etc and if you have saved up for a year??? would you cancel.

saved up for what? overpricing? double pricing? stinkystreets? sex business? idiots protesting an elected government? overcharging by taxi drivers? rude immigration staff? the list goes on and on! it reminds me of a commercial long ago of "charlie Tuna" there will always be suckers. don't forget the muggings!

For obvious reasons, this campaign is likely to run up until 4th December. If no outcome by then, they will all go home, re-group and come back again harder.

They will stop for the Kings Birthday then out of a mark of respect for his Highness...Thai politics is volatile at the best of times with 11 army coups to date and counting..that will be when you know things are getting serious...when they show their force and presence on the streets!
  • Like 1

If you'd just get into the middle of a protest group, you'd be insulated from a beat-down by the taxi mafia or the jet ski scammers.

A little off there the jet skis are not in Bangkok nor is the taxi mafia. Pattaya for jet skis and phuket for the tuk tuk mafia and jet skis.

I am sure TAT will announce soon that tourist numbers were up again this month breaking all records known to mankind, and so 16 countries were wrong we all make mistakes but TAT’s figures you can depend upon as being gospel.

I am sure TAT will announce soon that tourist numbers were up again this month breaking all records known to mankind, and so 16 countries were wrong we all make mistakes but TAT’s figures you can depend upon as being gospel.

OK lets see. In one month come back and post the figures. Why? Because TAT just warned of a 25 billion drop in tourism next month.

OK lets see. In one month come back and post the figures. Why? Because TAT just warned of a 25 billion drop in tourism next month.

I can only assume that 25 billion is baht not people. Obviously TAT knows what's important and looks at the money rather than the customers. Still the figure seems high - perhaps its only the "quality" tourists that are staying away.

Warn about what,,everything is normal. Thailand is the most safe place on earth. It's ok...Mai pen rai rok

You must be joking, when you say Thailand is the most safe place on earth. Daily assaults, robberies and very dangerous roads and now political turmoil. Thailand has become a dangerous place, time has come to spend the money elsewhere.

''but just advise them to stay away from the areas where protests are held as there was possibility that large scale protest could break out.''

Yes indeed. People be warned....

These protests bring a lot of people together in the same place...

Lots of body heat there in addition to the hot weather....darn it.

Difficult already to try to keep the beer cold...

Stay home...

And to say that my home country is part of that... Well. beer easily keeps very cold in my country....whistling.gif

. Does anyone know if there are protesters near Australian consulate as I have to go there tomorrow or Friday

Somehow, when some of you say political turmoil, knowing the past history, it does not sound very serious to me.

I don't know anyone who is talking about it here.

But I am not in BKK.

Everyone here seems very satisfied with the way things have been going in Thailand for decades.

People are getting richer, on the whole,

And they have plenty of food, all sorts of electronic gadgets, comfortable houses, big trucks, you name it.

People here are lucky to be in Thailand, and they know it and are happy, on the whole.

The recent election here and protesting had an enormous effect on tourism and the economy, similar to Thailand, unwarranted, warnings kept people away. Many local businesses shut up shop and waited out, what pretty much turned out to be a non event.

After living in Thailand for 16 years, (15 years in Bangkok), I keep seeing the Thais shoot themselves in the foot. It's pretty much obvious that many of those protesting have no idea what it is they are protesting about. Nor do they have any idea about the global or local economy, nor do they have any idea how much worse their actions are making things for themselves. I guess this is where you have to say "Som num na", which roughly translated means, "You get what you deserve"

If you want to get an idea of what Thailand was like 30-40 years ago, when people smiled and said hello, for no other reason to be polite and share the happiness, come visit here in Sihanoukville, while it lasts.

I would have said if you want an idea of what Thailand will be like in 5-10 years time go to Cambodia.

I would have said if you want an idea of what Thailand will be like in 5-10 years time go to Cambodia.

Not sure, but I'll look for a link. But I think Thailand spends more on Som Tom than Cambodia's total GNP.

i have to go to british embassy tomorrow, is it ok there?

not really. it is a very unpleasant and unwelcoming place. you get ignored, get terrible service and everything is fenced off by a company of clueless indians... you'll need a day persuading them (it is called 'escalating') that your query is specific and they cannot answer it before they might put you in touch with a real embassy staff. essentially a big waste of space, time and money, quite far from ok i'd say.

if you talk about the security situation? well yeah, its very ok. just like anywhere else in thailand except perhaps the deep south

Edited by vincentc

''but just advise them to stay away from the areas where protests are held as there was possibility that large scale protest could break out.''

Yes indeed. People be warned....

These protests bring a lot of people together in the same place...

Lots of body heat there in addition to the hot weather....darn it.

Difficult already to try to keep the beer cold...

Stay home...

And to say that my home country is part of that... Well. beer easily keeps very cold in my country....whistling.gif

. Does anyone know if there are protesters near Australian consulate as I have to go there tomorrow or Friday

They will be there waiting on you better wear a pink shirt