Thai PM extends olive branch to anti-govt protesters

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To the experts out there..... I assume this government is finished and its just a question of time before they give in realistically how long can a government hold on in a situation like this?

The 'situation like this' is that the opposition are demanding that the government resign. That would lead to another general election in which the same government would be re-elected with a large majority. The protesters are being orchestrated by the ruling elite who simply can't accept that they have lost power to the people. The demonstrators do not represent the overall view of Thai society, just a narrow, largely Bangkok based elite and the southern moslems who are (some would say, understandably) anti Thaksin, following the 'war on terror' in the South - they are unholy bedfellows of the Yellow shirts.

so even if the government can't 'hold on' as you suggest, they will be re-elected.....or do the yellow shirts have another, more sinister plan?

What power do the people have in the PT government? What has actually changed?

To the experts out there..... I assume this government is finished and its just a question of time before they give in realistically how long can a government hold on in a situation like this?

The 'situation like this' is that the opposition are demanding that the government resign. That would lead to another general election in which the same government would be re-elected with a large majority. The protesters are being orchestrated by the ruling elite who simply can't accept that they have lost power to the people. The demonstrators do not represent the overall view of Thai society, just a narrow, largely Bangkok based elite and the southern moslems who are (some would say, understandably) anti Thaksin, following the 'war on terror' in the South - they are unholy bedfellows of the Yellow shirts.

so even if the government can't 'hold on' as you suggest, they will be re-elected.....or do the yellow shirts have another, more sinister plan?

You're off the mark there. Elites (the ones not putting their money with Thaksin) may have a financial hand in it but this is by no means a mob for hire like we saw with the red shirts, polls suggest Yingluck's popularity is now at it's lowest, they've lost the legitimacy and respect to govern, you have to be pretty evil and incompetent to draw a dissatisfied crowd this large, time for a fresh mandate and she won't do so because she knows PT may well end up with a much reduced victory, and lose absolute domination over parliament. That's where we are at with this.

How many pollsters go to Nan or Nong bualamphu? These polls usually have the qualifier 'conducted in Bangkok and surrounding provinces' The protesters are workers for firms and organisations that give them paid leave and tell them to get themselves down to Ratachadamnoen. PT would not end up with a 'much reduced victory' the people who voted for them before wil do so again, because they delivered affordable health care, social housing, the 9,000 baht minimum wage and a whole host of other things that no government has ever given before.

The problem is that on the whole, these things haven't been researched properly and implemented properly, and now obviously come with the obvious caveat that they are to be delivered subject to Thaksin returning. Implementing socially beneficial plans is excellent for Thailand as far as I am concerned, if they are done properly.

Problem is, this lot apprently put them together with the only reason being to insure a vote to be in power to get Thaksin back. Already the bank is out of money to pay for rice, and the 2.2tn is not being garnered to build a railway, but to siphon 30% off. And you think if I know this, that even the most poorly educated Thai isn't starting to smell a rat now.

• Like 1

Embattled Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today called on protesters to jointly find a resolution for Thailand but insisted she will neither resign nor dissolve Parliament.

It seems that the majority have a resolution to the problem. And that is that Ms Shinawatra resign. The only thing she will not do. How selfish is she ? Runs so strong in the family. Nx19xbah.gif.pagespeed.ic.INo70HjZC3.web width=19 alt=bah.gif>

Why should she resign she has a firm mandate from the people given only 2 years ago, She has another 2 or 3 years to go.

A " firm mandate " ?? lol!

Open your eyes my friend. Two years ago yes. But not now. She and her cronies peed thier mandate up the proverbial wall with thier obsessive compulsive attempts at getting " Mr T " immunity. Had they put as much effort into running the country and looking after the economy they would be deemed champions by the entire population. But they went another way.

I would be interested to see your evidence for that assertion.

coma post # 30

I seen picture from the stadium at 1pm today. And it had no more that 200 people there. Mass mobilisation ???? cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

This is true the people have seen through the facade of democracy that this puppet government projects and the people have seen through the ideal of dem(on)ocracy as per Thaksin the interpretation and desire.

Edited by siampolee

Embattled Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today called on protesters to jointly find a resolution for Thailand but insisted she will neither resign nor dissolve Parliament.

It seems that the majority have a resolution to the problem. And that is that Ms Shinawatra resign. The only thing she will not do. How selfish is she ? Runs so strong in the family. Nx19xbah.gif.pagespeed.ic.INo70HjZC3.web width=19 alt=bah.gif>

Why should she resign she has a firm mandate from the people given only 2 years ago, She has another 2 or 3 years to go.

A " firm mandate " ?? lol!

Open your eyes my friend. Two years ago yes. But not now. She and her cronies peed thier mandate up the proverbial wall with thier obsessive compulsive attempts at getting " Mr T " immunity. Had they put as much effort into running the country and looking after the economy they would be deemed champions by the entire population. But they went another way.

I would be interested to see your evidence for that assertion.

I am confident that you will see it before the end of the year. wink.png

The great health system, tens of thousands of social housing units, OTOP, the minimum wage, There are 4 massive reasons for a start.

The great health system cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

I honestly wish you that you never come in the situation to depend on the 30 Baht system.What you get is not even worth the 30 Baht.

Well my wife's family all use it and it has proved to be excellent. It's a damn sight better than what went before where only the rich got decent health care. Even America is slowly catching with the idea that health care should be freely available. Thailand now has a first rate health care system in my experience.

• Like 2

Olive branch too late by far, sounds like a last resort. Who would accept it even if the terms were favourable ???? no one. Because of 2 years of misery for the ordinary Thai who have to my mind felt at home with the government. Thai people have to face a brick wall at home at school at work ca or never allowed to vent their feelings, but now because of safety in numbers they can. THAI PEOPLE NEED safety in numbers, alone they are nothing (without Hi-So family--big money) BKK is proving that without BARACADES.

The people don't want an olive branch, they want her to go...

The question is why can't they raise a red short support group?

Why can;t they get people down from the provinces? The local MP's losing faith? The people don't want to come and support? All the money has gone? Why aren't he red shirts mobilising? The only way out of this is for the red's to make a massive show of support. Where are they.

And no, this bunch for Suthep don't represent "the people" any more than the reds represent 'the people". That's by the by. Thailand has chosen to change its governments by coup and protest, let them reap what they sow. Chaos every 2 years.

I am confident that you will see it before the end of the year. wink.png

That's what the Bangkok elite thought after the coup in 2006 - they'd rescued the people from the evil Thaksin and they couldn't believe it when the darn people went and voted for his successor party. They couldn't believe it after the judicial coup after the airport closure banned the elected government and put Abhisits government in power with no mandate from the people - then when the people were given the choice - they voted for Thaksin's party again 2 years ago. They simply couldnt believe it. And it will happen again. PT are the democratic choice of the Thai people and they will win anotehr election, if one is to be held with a similar majority to the one they have now.

Not this time round.

After seeing the size of the rally groups(pro and con) I don't see the PTP winning another election at this time.

She looks nervous to me.

Does she look nervous to you?

Nervous no. Petrified yes. She is going to have to answer questions tomorrow and she doesn't know how to do that.

Is it live on TV ? I FOR ONE WOULD PAY TO SEE HER SQUIRM... blink.png

• Like 1

The prime minister said, “Now that all factions have displayed their political positions, it’s time they meet and talk to find a resolution for the country. The National Reform forum is ready to listen.

Of course, you will have to say what they want to hear, otherwise there will be thaksin-not-that-question.jpg

The great health system, tens of thousands of social housing units, OTOP, the minimum wage, There are 4 massive reasons for a start.

The great health system cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

I honestly wish you that you never come in the situation to depend on the 30 Baht system.What you get is not even worth the 30 Baht.

Well my wife's family all use it and it has proved to be excellent. It's a dam_n sight better than what went before where only the rich got decent health care. Even America is slowly catching with the idea that health care should be freely available. Thailand now has a first rate health care system in my experience.

Why on Gods earth did you marry a woman with such a sick family... and why don't you pay for decent healthcare for them... obviously you are penniless as well as brainless... Milwall Fan says it all... another skint Brit here to take advantage of poor Thai women... and their sick families.... GFY...

I had to laugh at your reply to Mill/fan. He maybe hasn't got such a sick family but believes that the health care is good enough for them, but had any of the family would want more than outpatients care the HE has problems. Ask him if a family member has cancer and life threatening long term care would they get prolonged treatment NO NO they are at home with little morphine waiting for natures course. I have helped care for them at home, Only emergency and a day or so--then home. OR PAY.

Hope you do not think all Brits are skint and come for bar girls. But some points you make are blunt but true in many cases.

• Like 2