BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
ryro88

My first Isaan visit.

Many times I offered to pay for meals when we where out and my girlfriend or her mother wouldn't let me pay. Obviously I paid for a few melas. but my point being that I did not fell like am ATM to there's people. Actually quiet the opposite. I was treated like a guest just like in the western world if not better.

• Like 1

I can understand the point that you are all making but when I look back on my time in Isaan the girlfriend and her family spent quite a bit of money on me too so I thought it appropriate to pay back the favour and It made me happy to do so.

• Like 2

I would agree with Khunmanoun here. I would not have given a blanket cash donation like this and established myself as the "cash dispensing buffalo". Down the road if I felt they had a strong need for a certain item, I would have seen that it would get provided (without making a big deal out of it). It all depends on the relationship, of course but I reject blanket giving just because we have met.

• Like 2

Nice story.

smile.png

Be prepared, some members will soon claim all the hospitality was part of an act to make you give money in the end.

After all, it is the only country in the world where it is a national policy to scam visitors.

wink.png

Seriously pal, nice story.

smile.png

And sure enough, your prediction comes true; who else but Swissie, with his inevitable Isaan-bashing twaddle.

@ajarnmarc - Isaan is big, and I have seen many problems with farangs but also a great number of beautiful stories. I would be careful to make a generality. Except for Udon Thani girls, who have a very bad reputation, certainly because of the US base.