Going For 'o'

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a predicament, I have just returned from Italy with my wife. The plan was that we went there to settle, but unfortunatly things didnt turn out the way we had planned. So we are now back in Thailand.

Im planning on getting work here and already have a few interviews lined up (yes, teaching english). The trip to Italy raped our bank account which leaves me in a bit of a situation regarding the visa. No way can I make the 400k for the non O extension. Hopefully my future employer will be able to arrange a non 'B' but if not, then I guess the below is the only route I can go.

What I have thought of doing is to apply for a multiple 'O' visa in Penang based on marriage. If I get this visa then it would still mean a visa run every 3 months, is this correct?

Ive heard that Penang is getting a bit tight about handing out 'multi entries' Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?

If I only get a single entry 'O' could I then return to Penang and apply for a new 'O' visa? I remember reading a post on TV where someone was refused a second visa becuase he didnt go the usual route of getting the 1 year extension, can anyone shed more light on this?

What is the cost of a multi / single entry at Penang?

Is this my only option to avoid doing a visa run every month? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks for you time.

I believe immigration will accept your wages of 40k per month for a support Thai wife extension of stay without having the full 400k in the bank so that would probably be better than the B as you might not meet the income requirements for extension of stay otherwise. But if you can not obtain an extension of stay the Malaysia trip is the only other option other than monthly border runs. At present KL seems to be easier to obtain a first time multi entry but believe Penang will still issue after the first single entry for those that can not extend. Sorry things did not work out.

Yeah, if you think that its a bureaucratic hel_l here in Thailand then go have a stint with the Italian authorities....makes the system here in Thailand look like a well oiled machine.

I doubt that I'll land a job paying over 40k to start with....but I can always hope :o

So it looks the long haul to Penang and hope that I get a multi 'O'. It wont be until next month but I'll let you know how the situation is down there once I've done it.

Yeah, if you think that its a bureaucratic hel_l here in Thailand then go have a stint with the Italian authorities....makes the system here in Thailand look like a well oiled machine.

I doubt that I'll land a job paying over 40k to start with....but I can always hope :D

So it looks the long haul to Penang and hope that I get a multi 'O'. It wont be until next month but I'll let you know how the situation is down there once I've done it.

The situation is the following at Penang. read my post about Penang.

All had refusals for type O multiple entries 1 year because they used Penang the first time. I met one lucky man, he obtained a multiple Non O 1 year, because he used Penang for the second time.

PS: The consular officer turned my marriage paper up and down and said , not valid for Thailand :D . As I pointed out that this paper was translated by the Royal Thai Consulate in my home country showing original Consular stamps and signatures and was approved already once by Suan Plu Immigration Bangkok he changed the topic :o

and

said : This office does not issue any multiples the first time you turn up here, this is the new rule of this office.

I think to be on the safe side you should apply in your home country or in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore.

Thanks for the info,

Im already in Thailand so getting the visa from my home country is a no go.

I think I will still try Penang, even if I can only get a single entry then its going to work out cheaper than going to Singapore or KL (cost and time) and then maybe Penang will issue a multi on the next visit as it seems that its only the first timers that are having problems.

Oh the joys :o

Edited by lordsux

I believe immigration will accept your wages of 40k per month for a support Thai wife extension of stay without having the full 400k in the bank so that would probably be better than the B as you might not meet the income requirements for extension of stay otherwise. But if you can not obtain an extension of stay the Malaysia trip is the only other option other than monthly border runs. At present KL seems to be easier to obtain a first time multi entry but believe Penang will still issue after the first single entry for those that can not extend. Sorry things did not work out.

Lopburi3, I think you mean "better than the 'O' visa" right ?

I don't think so, unless you are reading it differently than me. I mean the O is better than the B as if you use the support Thai wife option you do not lose it if you lose your job and your employer does not have to meet the same conditions to hire you. As the requirement for income at 40k for support is lower than most requirements for extension of a B visa (about 60k for most) it also is better that way. The only down side is you have to appear with wife each year to extend and have an under review period.