PLEASE HELP

Personality traits tend to be hereditary, whereas character is malleable - being learned and earned and through effort and experience. Character traits are therefore based more on beliefs.

Personality is usually easier to read, and can be ascertained after one or two meetings with someone. Typically these are the traits we display on a daily basis; humour, confidence, optimism, energy - or negatives like being lazy, negative and shy.

Character takes longer to figure out as the traits only reveal themselves in specific situations and circumstances. Those are things such as honesty, virtue and kindness.

I am not 100% sure what you are talking about but I equate character to a characteristic, which is one aspect of your overall personality. It's a little like weather and climate.

Climate is a larger, longer, over-arching thing. Weather is day to day variations in the climate.

That's a bit simplistic, but if you give us more to work with, we might be able to give you better answers.

Sometimes I think of character as being something which one has that gives him a good or bad reputation, ie a person of good character.

I could think of personality as someone's charm or magnetism, or lack of it.

I think of personality as something someone exudes, but character as what a person is made of when the going gets tough.

I'm American, if it matters.

Personality is visible, how someone behaves at the surface -- funny, charming, melancholy, etc.

Character is who a person is inside. For example, a person might have an antisocial personality, but go out of his way to return a lost wallet, because he is of good character.

Do you see the difference?

If no, here's one more: Think of a conman: A person who charms others as a means of taking advantage of them. Even though this person has a nice personality, he still has a very poor character.

Edited by aTomsLife

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE ?

Personality is easy to read, and we're all experts at it. We judge people funny, extroverted, energetic, optimistic, confident—as well as overly serious, lazy, negative, and shy—if not upon first meeting them, then shortly thereafter. And though we may need more than one interaction to confirm the presence of these sorts of traits, by the time we decide they are, in fact, present we've usually amassed enough data to justify our conclusions.

Character, on the other hand, takes far longer to puzzle out. It includes traits that reveal themselves only in specific—and often uncommon—circumstances, traits like honesty, virtue, and kindliness. Ironically, research has shown that personality traits are determined largely by heredity and are mostly immutable. The arguably more important traits of character, on the other hand, are more malleable—though, we should note, not without great effort. Character traits, as opposed to personality traits, are based on beliefs (e.g., that honesty and treating others well is important—or not), and though beliefs can be changed, it's far harder than most realize.

Please read more:http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/happiness-in-world/201104/personality-vs-character wai2.gif

• 2 weeks later...