Down the streets of Bangkok

webfact

Down the streets of Bangkok
The Nation

30220592-01_big.gif

Though the numbers dwindled yesterday, people still took part in 14 marches across the capital

BANGKOK: -- Some 27,000 people took part in 14 marches across Bangkok yesterday, Metropolitan Police spokesman Maj-General Adul Narongsak said, though he pointed out that the crowd at Democracy Monument had surged on Sunday, allegedly to 82,000 people.

Meanwhile, at the Makkawan rally site, as many as 9,000 people had joined the rally on Sunday, but the numbers tapered down to 2,500 yesterday.

At Nang Lerng, police estimated the peak number of protesters at 3,500, before it dwindled to 1,000, who joined a march to the Foreign Ministry yesterday. This march was not part of the 14 planned for yesterday.

At the height of the protest on Sunday, police detained Sanit Pongjina, 45, for reportedly carrying a handgun in the vicinity of the Pheu Thai Party headquarters. Sanit was charged with possession of an unauthorised weapon.

In another incident, unknown assailants hurled three explosives at anti-riot police deployed near the protest site at Makkawan Bridge. The explosives damaged property and no casualties were reported.

In one of yesterday's marches, protesters rallied at the Royal Thai Police headquarters, before heading to the Siam BTS station on Rama 1 Road. The crowds then handed jasmine garlands to the 15 companies of policemen, who had been mobilised from Bangkok and upcountry to maintain peace.

Akanat Promphan, spokesperson for the Anti-Thaksin Network, then led the crowds to the Army headquarters, saying this was a move to root out the Thaksin regime. At the Army headquarters, the protesters presented roses and whistles, which were accepted by three Army representatives on behalf of Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha. Akanat also called on the Army to side with the people.

Core organisers of the march, including Democrat MP Chirapat Bhirombhakdi and Democrat deputy spokeswoman Mallika Boonmeetrakul, also delivered speeches at the site attacking the government for lacking the legitimacy to remain in power.

Separately, former Democrat MP Chumpol Jumsai led protesters to the Metropolitan Police Bureau headquarters, where they threatened to camp out if Metropolitan Police chief Lt-General Camronwit Toopgrajank refused to meet them. He said he also wanted Camronwit to withdraw his statement about being indebted to former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Upon hearing that the police chief would not be coming out to meet them, some protesters were seen hurling bottled water at the building.

Meanwhile, another group of protesters held a rally at the Interior Ministry before returning to the Democracy Monument in the afternoon.

Push cancelled

The Students and People Network for Thailand's Reform yesterday dropped the idea of pushing their way through a police line to besiege Government House and instead returned to their rally site at Nang Lerng intersection.

The confrontation with police at Wat Benjamabophit intersection came to an end at about 2.30pm after security forces put up concrete barriers and reinforced them with barbed wire.

About half an hour earlier, the protesters had removed the barbed wire at the spot and came close to clashing with police officers present at the site. Some protesters snatched police shields and hurled bottles of water at the police officers, prompting them to take shelter behind trucks.

However, things calmed down a bit at around 2.30pm when police managed to restore the barriers.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-26

This Thai news story is better coverage of the circus than one that would seek to validate the actual count of protesters in the street to "prove " that some Thai politician was exaggerating the numbers. The press is more 9f a circus than the demonstrations. Commandeering government offices with impunity. Thailand, the artificial democracy is seeking to "prove"that all voices are being heard. This commandeering of government is akin to commandeering the airport a few years ago. That will be next one could suppose.

My gf sent me photos from the protests. Heaps more people than they are reporting. She also saw government workers covering up security cameras during the night. I think the government will make an aggressive move on the protesters soon.

"Some protesters...... hurled bottles of water at the police officers."

Geez, you give thirsty copper a drink and they take it the wrong way. Now if it was sea water in the bottles they could claim it was assalt.

Bottles of water much better than Molotov Cocktails in my opinion at least.

My gf sent me photos from the protests. Heaps more people than they are reporting. She also saw government workers covering up security cameras during the night. I think the government will make an aggressive move on the protesters soon.

Bangkok Governer ordered to have them removed.....Smart guy

Unbiased reporting of protest numbers......from aerial pics of Rachadamnoen.....there's a whole bunch more people than these figures indicate!

with the numbers it pathetic in Thailand.

You have sometimes reports which differ almost 1:100. Understandable that something can be wrong +/-50 % but not 1: 100....

I'm supposed to go to Bangkok on thursday and stay there for 4 nights. Should I be worried and cancel my trip? I'll lose substantial sum of money but if its not safe then I would have to do it. How bad is it really?

So far so good. Hard to see what it will be like a few days from here, may I suggest you ask a Thai relation for a good predictor ?

I'm supposed to go to Bangkok on thursday and stay there for 4 nights. Should I be worried and cancel my trip? I'll lose substantial sum of money but if its not safe then I would have to do it. How bad is it really?

My wife and her friends are going to the temple instead of work today because she said they will be voting on the outcome of the censure debate today. May get real ugly, real fast.

Government make an aggressive move?

HAHAHAHA!

Who stormed who's offices?

You EXPATS who blindly follow the yellow shirts are not aware how a DEMOCRACY works are you?

I'm not saying the reds shirts are better - but they at least ELECTED Yingluck into power.

Good report this morning via BBC. My congratulation to theChulalongkorn Professor interviewed. Excellent job of succinctly and balanced statement as to where Thailand is in moving toward democracy and the pressure for change from the past.

For my money, Thailand is not experiencing anything different to what we see acted out politically in the U.S. And elsewhere. The wealth gap has grown too wide. And darn those poor people, they will just not stay " in their place". Too bad there are too many who do not study history a little closer. Any time, any country (empire, whatever) where the gap grows too wide and you will have trouble.

Self preservation note to the "haves", moderate or deal with the ensuing results of not having enough balance.

Government make an aggressive move?

HAHAHAHA!

Who stormed who's offices?

You EXPATS who blindly follow the yellow shirts are not aware how a DEMOCRACY works are you?

I'm not saying the reds shirts are better - but they at least ELECTED Yingluck into power.

Please check facts before opening mouth, the PTP via the fugitive put YL into the position of PM, absolutely nothing to do with the red-shirt other than they were paid to vote for PTP - now that is some democratic election, is it not?

• Like 1

My wife and her friends are going to the temple instead of work today because she said they will be voting on the outcome of the censure debate today. May get real ugly, real fast.

ilCapitano79: Make your trip, there's nothing to worry about... mrwebb8825 is the teaspoon that goes with the teacup that holds the storm...