No confidence debate to start today, 26 Nov

webfact

No confidence debate to start this morning

208918-imagejpeg-317052-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The two-day no-confidence debate against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan will go ahead at 9.30 a.m. today under tight security around the Parliament and Government House area.

The no-confidence debate as called by 146 Democrat lawmakers led by party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva. The vote will be called Thursday or after the two-day debate scheduled from 9.30 a.m. till midnight or 25 hours altogether ends.

The opposition MPs target the prime minister and interior minister on widespread corruption involving the government’s rice-pledging scheme, the 350 billion baht flood and water management project, and the 2 trillion baht mega infrastructure project.

The police have now put up concrete barricades around Parliament Building and Government House and vicinity areas to prevent anti-government demonstrators from breaking into the complexes to disrupt the debate.

Demonstrators vow not to disrupt the censure debate but its leader Suthep Thuagsuban has warned that since the Yingluck Government has already lost its legitimacy in ruling the country after her ruling Pheu Thai party issued an announcement rejecting the ruling of the Constitution Court regarding the composition of the Senate, and all the 312 senators and their House and Senate speaker also issued announcement rejecting the ruling, therefore the censure debate would be invalid and illegitimate.

But the Democrat lawyers insisted on attending the censure debate because they intended to expose facts to the public on corruption conspiracy by this government.

The censure debate will be broadcast and televised live on NBT Channel and broadcast live on Parliament Radio.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/confidence-debate-start-morning/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-26

My thoughts, The P.M. said to her cabinet "can you fill me in with info on this what you call it -the rice pledging scheme."

Secondly how much money have we left out of the funds allocated for the water/flood management ???

Finally this 2 trillion or so bht, can we still put it into a fund that still cannot be audited ??? or accountable ???

Thai PM faces crisis debate as rallies paralyse ministries

BANGKOK, November 26, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's premier appealed Tuesday for an end to "mob rule" as she prepared to face a no-confidence debate in parliament after protesters occupied key ministries in a bid to topple her government.

Tens of thousands of demonstrators have rallied against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her brother, ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, in the biggest street protests since 2010, when more than 90 civilians were killed in a military crackdown.

Fresh turmoil in the politically turbulent country has sparked international concern and raised fears of a new bout of unrest.

"Everybody must obey the law and not use mob rule to upstage the rule of law," Yingluck told reporters as she arrived at parliament early Tuesday, reiterating a vow that authorities would "absolutely not use violence".

Police numbers have been increased in Bangkok in response to the expansion late Monday of the Internal Security Act, which gives authorities additional powers to block routes, impose a curfew, ban gatherings and carry out searches.

"We have told protesters that after the ISA was invoked across Bangkok. They are violating the law by trespassing in ministries," said National Security Council chief Paradorn Pattanatabut.

Dozens of police were in and around the parliament building, with concrete barriers blocking the streets early Tuesday, according to an AFP photographer at the scene, who said few protesters were in the area.

MPs are due to begin debating a no-confidence motion Tuesday, which was put forward by the opposition last week as part of a barrage of legal and institutional challenges to Yingluck's embattled government.

The recent protests were sparked by ruling party plans to introduce an amnesty that could have allowed the return from self-imposed exile of Thaksin, a deeply polarising figure who was deposed by royalist generals in a 2006 coup.

Outrage over that plan failed to ebb after the amnesty was quashed by the Senate on November 11.

On Monday, protesters opposing Yingluck's elected government marched on more than a dozen state agencies across the capital, including military and police bases, as well as several television stations.

In a dramatic escalation of their weeks-long action, hundreds of demonstrators then swarmed into finance ministry buildings and later forced their way into the foreign ministry compound.

Protesters were still in and around the government offices Tuesday, with no immediate signs that authorities were moving to evict them.

Television images showing protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban at the finance ministry, apparently relaxed and reading a newspaper surrounded by demonstrators.

Thaksin draws strong support from many of the country's rural and urban working class. But he is loathed by the elite and the middle classes, who accuse him of being corrupt and a threat to the monarchy.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-26

Hope some can give a regular update of the debate on here ,my thai not good watching the debate on tv

Ps chalerm rambling on.looking and sounding old bitter and twisted

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kingalfred

I'm watching it now. It is getting tense. Too bad most people here come across as know it alls yet cannot understand a word of Thai. Would be useful if one wants to criticize.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

ok giver your unbiased view.Are they discussing points of procedure before the debate?

Edited by kingalfred

I'm watching it now. It is getting tense. Too bad most people here come across as know it alls yet cannot understand a word of Thai. Would be useful if one wants to criticize.

ok giver your unbiased view haha

So far there is disagreement about the Democrats submission of evidence of corruption against the current government. Bickering back and forth.

ok giver your unbiased view haha

So far there is disagreement about the Democrats submission of evidence of corruption against the current government. Bickering back and forth.
oh surely thats a matter for debate .surely corruption goes without saying .of course the perps always cover the trail especially at high levels of gov

The filibuster demoracy has been incorporated into the PT party line. This is a run of delay for "I was not involved, I was out of country, not in paraliment, on retreat, upset tummy, at the temple, at Smart woman kickoff, meeting with cabinet for alibi, I was not aware someone used my card to register attendance, I just have not had time to answer the questions about brothers passport, the cabinet resuffles are not a reflection of incompent appointees, the promises made preelection were just not understood, etc"

No I do not have a stutter nor do I howl at the moon. Whats a stutter and is a howl like a moan?

When will the supporters of ptp realize they have to cleanse itself,of shinawatras.well I know the party cannot,but if they re elected an incompetent.corrupt .law defying group it will never reform and be tied to its paymaster . And if Thailands working poor think Thailand will go forward with these people they will soon discover it marching backwards to the dark ages.

PS yinglucks response to detailed allegations corruption .disasterous rice scheme and her defense and opinion on the amnesty bill and court decisions was pathetic,Surely even

Thailand can do better?

Edited by kingalfred

"yet cannot understand a word of Thai"

I speak enough to know that I wouldn't have chosen "maengda" as my posting-name ! facepalm.gif

But different opinions make the world a more-interesting place, I guess.

CENSURE SHOWDOWN
Abhisit denounces Yingluck as 'centre of comprehensive corruption practices'

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader and opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva on Tuesday attacked Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, denouncing her as the "centre of comprehensive corruption practices".

During the first day of the censure debate against Yingluck and Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan, Abhisit alleged corrupt practices centred on Yingluck at every step and added that she tolerated corruption from "mountaintop to overlapping sea territories with ulterior motives".

Abhisit said the Yingluck government may have won the majority in the House but it also had caused hardship.

"Actions based on claims that the government received the majority vote from the people has caused hardship to many," Abhisit said.

"The government has held the country and its people hostage on several occasions. The prime minister let individuals in the government commit corruption."

Abhisit also alleged that the government under Yingluck's leadership had destroyed anti-corruption mechanisms, leading to corruption in the rice-pledging scheme, corruption at policy level, and corruption in projects that would be carried out outside of the budget.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-26

Abhisit grills Yingluck on asset seizure and cover-up cases

abhisit-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The censure debate against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan began this morning with no disruption from anti-government protesters gathering nearby.

The debate started with the opposition MPs’ inclusion of asset cover-up and corruption involving herself and her brother Thaksin in addition to earlier topics cited in its document submitted to support call for the censure debate.

However after clarification, the House speaker allowed the deliberation to go ahead with the asset seizure and cover-up issue to be raised.

Opposition leader Abhisit started questioning and criticizing the government’s water management, rice pledging schemes and asset cover-up case which he said has incurred tremendous damages to the country.

In the deliberation of the rice pledging scheme, Abhisit pointed out how tremendous corruption was involved in this scandalous rice scheme in which he said more than half of the money spent has gone to corrupted politicians and their people.

He said so far 400 billion baht had been lost in this scheme but less than half went into the hands of farmers.

Until now, he said farmers across the country have not yet paid for their pledged rice of up to 7-8 months.

Abhisit also said he did not know whose ignorance was to come out with such policy with thought that Thailand would be able to manipulate global rice price.

He said it was impossible to control global price by the country, but what it happened today was that the police has inflicted immense loss to the country.

Abhisit’s debate was intermittently disrupted by ruling MPs when the opposition leader implying Thaksin and the Shinawatra family in corruption cases during his deliberation of the amnesty bill which intended to grant amnesty to all including those convicted in corruption cases.

Some government MPs also accused Abhisit of violating the Constitution when he attributed several cases involving the prime minister in the cover-up of her assets and conflict of interest to be benefited by the amnesty bill.

In reply to Abhisit’s queries, Yingluck said it was unfair for her to seriously accuse her in corruption cases, likening the case in which the police have to notifying the suspect first what charge would be pressed against him before making arrest.

She said she did not know before of the charge and therefore was unfair to her.

However the prime minister replied to all the charges in less than five minutes citing global economic recession with no connection to questions asked.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/abhisit-grills-yingluck-asset-seizure-cover-cases/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-26

Having watched this debate for a fair length of time, several hours, I am impressed by the civility and surprised by the lack of reaction from the other members.

Watching the English House of Commons in action in that historically small chamber is a completely different experience. M.P are only metres away from each other on either side of the floor and the exchanges can be quite interesting.

"In reply to Abhisit’s queries, Yingluck said it was unfair for her to seriously accuse her in corruption cases, likening the case in which the police have to notifying the suspect first what charge would be pressed against him before making arrest.

However the prime minister replied to all the charges in less than five minutes citing global economic recession with no connection to questions asked."

So she didn't answer any of the questions. Is she done for the day now?

• Like 1

I guess her visit to Commerce ministry where the reported topic was the rice program did not stick in the grey matter. She was not forwarned that the opposition knew about her stake in brothers financialdealings??? No reply for the specific accusations, so I guess she will call on Cabinet members to answer the charges as her 5 minute rebuttal apparently did not even come up to the scratch line.

• Like 2

"In reply to Abhisit’s queries, Yingluck said it was unfair for her to seriously accuse her in corruption cases, likening the case in which the police have to notifying the suspect first what charge would be pressed against him before making arrest.

However the prime minister replied to all the charges in less than five minutes citing global economic recession with no connection to questions asked."

So she didn't answer any of the questions. Is she done for the day now?

How could she answer any questions, no tele-prompter connected to the fugitive allowed today.

Just maybe she and her caddy will be done for good as once the paid for MP's see their monthly payments slipping away, they will desert like rats from a sinking ship and with a bit of attitude correction might make reasonable Democrat MP's.

Come on Mark - give it to them, no holds barred from here on in as they would not afford you any in a similar situation.

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 2

Having watched this debate for a fair length of time, several hours, I am impressed by the civility and surprised by the lack of reaction from the other members.

Watching the English House of Commons in action in that historically small chamber is a completely different experience. M.P are only metres away from each other on either side of the floor and the exchanges can be quite interesting.

I like the Australian one where the leaders chuck things accross the table at each other!