What Are The Chances Of A Non Native

Avrockx

Much of the apparent racism in the schools is caused by commercial necessity. Parents forking out good money want to see WHITE faces in the schools regardless of whether the farang can teach worth a dam_n or not. Schools are therefore under pressure to have a complement of token white farang teachers on the staff.

Sorry, but I a sort of disagree. The parents usually don't know how good/bad their "white teaching stuff" is, until they find out that- for example Mr. XXX was a postman in his life before and knows not too much about his own language.

Nothing against a postman in particular, it's just that most parents think the school superiors hire the best educated foreigners, who were teachers back in their own country.

Even most principals haven't got an idea about some Westerners' ability in teaching the English language. I'd like to be honest and I've learned how to teach and how to deal with the much different circumstances, language barrier, loss of face,etc.. through teaching English.

That was only possible,because I loved this job from the first day on. A principal was just asking me if I wouldn't know a good teacher. When I wanted to send an Afro American teacher with many years of teaching experience,, he denied. Also no Filipinos are wanted at his school.

That's why I'd decided to let him find his own staff without my help.-. wai.gif

Much of the apparent racism in the schools is caused by commercial necessity. Parents forking out good money want to see WHITE faces in the schools regardless of whether the farang can teach worth a dam_n or not. Schools are therefore under pressure to have a complement of token white farang teachers on the staff.

Well this is certainly true at our school as far as English classes are concerned.

On the other hand for our Chinese and Japanese classes the parents expect to see Asian faces.

Is this racism? Maybe from our 1st world post-imperialist perspectives it is, maybe not.

I'm sure different types of schools have different pressures and hiring criteria: a Bangkok international school, a remote village school, an independent language school and a christian missionary school will almost certainly be looking for different teacher profiles.

The most important criterion for a foreign English teacher in our school (other than their ability to teach English) is the proven ability to live comfortably and respectfully in a rural Thai environment, and this is much harder to find than someone with a string of formal qualifications.

Hi Guys, First of all let me start by thanking all of you for your great replies.Actually one thing I have learnt studying different cultures & then experiencing them on ground is that perceptions are not always bound to be true because everyone is entitled to their own opinion.Many of us sometimes do fall victim to stereotyping & Thai's are no different.Although there is a mindset among the employers to hire people with a lighter skin tone,blonds & blue eyes,it doesn't end here because this same mindset runs among the parents as well.How do I know that?Well who says rejections are not experiences :P anyway having said all that,I must say that teaching in my opinion is a very sacred profession & it should not be driven by a sense of self alone.Although everyone desires financial security but there are a group of people for whom transcendence needs are the priority.I personally do believe that if a person wants to achieve a goal then he should be willing to make an effort to reach there & I am doing just the same,all i require is to get on the right direction.I have met a few Pak/Indians teaching at well reputed schools so that means its not impossible.Another thing I have noticed is that there is a significant change between the people living in the metropolitan Bangkok & of those from the small towns & cities.I had the opportunity to travel North for an Interview at a school in Chiang Rai & I was completely blown away by their hospitality,whether it was the tuk tuk driver,the hotel staff or the faculty at that school.Even the expats that i ran into were much more friendly & helpful.

• Like 1

Hi Guys, First of all let me start by thanking all of you for your great replies.Actually one thing I have learnt studying different cultures & then experiencing them on ground is that perceptions are not always bound to be true because everyone is entitled to their own opinion.Many of us sometimes do fall victim to stereotyping & Thai's are no different.Although there is a mindset among the employers to hire people with a lighter skin tone,blonds & blue eyes,it doesn't end here because this same mindset runs among the parents as well.How do I know that?Well who says rejections are not experiences tongue.png anyway having said all that,I must say that teaching in my opinion is a very sacred profession & it should not be driven by a sense of self alone.Although everyone desires financial security but there are a group of people for whom transcendence needs are the priority.I personally do believe that if a person wants to achieve a goal then he should be willing to make an effort to reach there & I am doing just the same,all i require is to get on the right direction.I have met a few Pak/Indians teaching at well reputed schools so that means its not impossible.Another thing I have noticed is that there is a significant change between the people living in the metropolitan Bangkok & of those from the small towns & cities.I had the opportunity to travel North for an Interview at a school in Chiang Rai & I was completely blown away by their hospitality,whether it was the tuk tuk driver,the hotel staff or the faculty at that school.Even the expats that i ran into were much more friendly & helpful.

Hi,

Great to hear that. Should you still be interested in a job near Ubon Ratchahthani, please page me. Please see post in teaching forum. Seeking high school teacher for a school in Det Udom, which is about 100 km away from Ubon Ratchathani/ lower northeast, also called "Isaan."

Cheers-thumbsup.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Hi Guys, First of all let me start by thanking all of you for your great replies.Actually one thing I have learnt studying different cultures & then experiencing them on ground is that perceptions are not always bound to be true because everyone is entitled to their own opinion.Many of us sometimes do fall victim to stereotyping & Thai's are no different.Although there is a mindset among the employers to hire people with a lighter skin tone,blonds & blue eyes,it doesn't end here because this same mindset runs among the parents as well.How do I know that?Well who says rejections are not experiences tongue.png anyway having said all that,I must say that teaching in my opinion is a very sacred profession & it should not be driven by a sense of self alone.Although everyone desires financial security but there are a group of people for whom transcendence needs are the priority.I personally do believe that if a person wants to achieve a goal then he should be willing to make an effort to reach there & I am doing just the same,all i require is to get on the right direction.I have met a few Pak/Indians teaching at well reputed schools so that means its not impossible.Another thing I have noticed is that there is a significant change between the people living in the metropolitan Bangkok & of those from the small towns & cities.I had the opportunity to travel North for an Interview at a school in Chiang Rai & I was completely blown away by their hospitality,whether it was the tuk tuk driver,the hotel staff or the faculty at that school.Even the expats that i ran into were much more friendly & helpful.

Hi,

Great to hear that. Should you still be interested in a job near Ubon Ratchahthani, please page me. Please see post in teaching forum. Seeking high school teacher for a school in Det Udom, which is about 100 km away from Ubon Ratchathani/ lower northeast, also called "Isaan."

Cheers-thumbsup.gif

Hi Sirchai,

Thank you for your reply,I appreciate it.I have sent you a pm,kindly inbox me your email so that i may send my resume & other credentials for you to pass on.

Best Regards

AV

• Like 1

Hi,

Cheers-thumbsup.gif

Hi Sirchai,

Thank you for your reply,I appreciate it.I have sent you a pm,kindly inbox me your email so that i may send my resume & other credentials for you to pass on.

Best Regards

AV

Hi Av,

I'd just sent you a message and hope all will work well for you. The area is pretty cool, as the Thai mentality of Isaan people is generally much better.

Kind regards,

Cheers-wai2.gif

A true entrepreneur I like your style. Well good luck on your future endeavors, sir! I hope the perfect job best suitable for you comes along. Thailand is an amazing place and has so much to offer. Have an open mind and don't take Thai people's prejudice to heart. At first it may be difficult, but eventually you will come to terms with it, and learn to adapt to society here. Know what you are worth, and stay true to yourself :)

Best of luck !!

Off-topic posts deleted.

If you wish to work, which you can't on a retirement visa, you can switch to a non-immigrant B when you find a job.

If he's married or has children with Thai nationality living here, he can apply for a non-immigrant O (dependency). You can work on this visa. A big plus is that the reason for the extension isn't cancelled if you leave a job.