Culture: What happens at a Thai funeral and what should you do if invited?

webfact

Very informative, in the village i live there have been several deaths in the last few years and i have attended a hand full of funerals.It was not exactly as you described but pretty near.

I felt it does not matter if you don't know what to do but Thai people really appreciate it when you go.It helps to take a friend who can explain what is going on.

I feel kind of accepted where i live and i do get invitations to parties also.

One more thing to notice,i was told that right after the cremation the soul of the deceased comes back to his village.That is probably why nobody was home for a few hours.

• Like 2

Last Saturday I went to the 100th day in the evening when there was a party.

My wife had been there since about 6 am cooking for it all and went back again on the Sunday.

I have been to several in the village, small village and very few falangs, mostly me.

They are OK and, yes the family and friends DO appreciate if you come at any time.

I just wonder who and how many will come to mine when I pop my clogs.

• Like 1

Very informative, in the village i live there have been several deaths in the last few years and i have attended a hand full of funerals.It was not exactly as you described but pretty near.

I felt it does not matter if you don't know what to do but Thai people really appreciate it when you go.It helps to take a friend who can explain what is going on.

I feel kind of accepted where i live and i do get invitations to parties also.

One more thing to notice,i was told that right after the cremation the soul of the deceased comes back to his village.That is probably why nobody was home for a few hours.

Agreed and all the funerals in our village have been three day affairs.

Is there a profession of embalmers in Thailand? Sometimes ice is used here in the North for preservation but it can't last a week.

As Cameltrakker says, a hired refrigerated coffin is used while the body is kept at the home. The body will be moved to another coffin for cremation.

I've been to one, and it's just common sense. I was quiet when I thought I should be quiet, and for a few hours just observed. I saw a few people on their phones, and others talking and not caring about the chanting; however, i stayed quiet with a few other friends and just acted nice. A few days later the body was cremated, and i missed that part.

Edited by puukao

We had the full seven day funeral for my wife's Mum and after the cremation only the very closest family took part in the burial at sea ceremony.
It was very beautiful and a wonderful way to "let go" and move on.

To me, it had a lot more meaning than our home country "Stiff upper lip and finished in a morning".

If you do attend, do try to give an envelope with money to the family,

The funeral is often unexpected and is expensive and small donations at this difficult time really help a lot are really well appreciated.

Not being able to "take care and give a proper funeral" would be something that no Thai would want to do.

In fact there are companies and with one phone call they will take care of the lighting, tables/chairs, sound system, food etc.

Then you arrange to pay the bill at the end and this is where donations really help.

• Like 1

Good onformative article, Thanks.

Here in our village a bit more basic with some easy to follow variations. In most cases of accidental death, for some reason regarding the Spirits, the deceased is buried in a grave for three years thence exhumed and the remains are cremated.

In every occassion that I have attended, as a "relative", friend or just for respect the deceased's body has been embalmed by 'injecteng' with Formaldhayde either at the hospital or by a "qualified" person from the village. No ice ever used here.

very simple same as any other Thai event, stuff yerself with food and drink as much as you can, put money in envelope, that's it. Turn up in white or black or both. They spend far too much on these things then lie about how much it was x 200% normally.

Edited by sms747

Can only relate my personal experiences.

After the funeral service has taken place and people are making their way from the sala up the steps to the funeral pyre, sometimes coins are thrown.

Some of these wats have their own cold store, where the bodies are stored, you pay extra for that.

Upcountry, some of these people have a village co-op insurance policy that will pay for a basic service