Bangkok Immigration - Avoid area today - expect traffic jams

Protest planned at Chaeng Wattana

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok protesters led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban will today move from the Finance Ministry to the government offices complex on Chaeng Wattana road where the Thai Immigration Bureau amongst other departments are located.

Avoid the area at least today as it will be traffic congestions and possible security issues.

tvn.png
-- 2013-11-27

I attempted to go to the Immigration Office to get my Non-Imm 'O" visa stamp (90 days), applied for two weeks ago and collection receipt dated for today. Traffic was a nightmare, and in the end the area was completely blocked by protesters and random vehicles, so after a couple of hours stuck in nasty traffic jams, I had to abandon my effort.

I then returned to my apartment in central BKK, where traffic close to my place adjacent to Ratchadamri BTS / Siam/ Central World was very quiet. Go figure.

Since I am here on a visa waiver, and need to fly out Saturday, this means I may be unable to get the visa stamp before departure, which I would assume means I will need to start the process all over again, resulting in lots of wasted time and of course added expense (visa fees, potential visa run, among others). Really bad luck on on my part, with a 27 November date to collect the visa, and with the building still occupied it doesn't look good for tomorrow either. Any ideas or recommendations appreciated. Hopefully no one else in the same position. facepalm.gif

It is a fact that the government offices complex on Chaeng Wattana is very near the airport.

I hope my AirAsia flight is still flying.

almost as near as Ayutthaya and downtown Bangkok. Chaeng Wattana is a separate suburb sufficently distant not to hamper Don Mueang

Did my 90 day report this morning. No problems at all. Done in 5 minutes and I came home with some free food and soy milk. Nothing to worry about. Parking is busier than normal but traffic on Changwattana was just fine.

I can confirm that CW was a breeze this afternoon, both getting there (very light traffic) and inside the immigration office (light crowd). I got my Non-Imm "O" stamp (yes, it is possible in Thailand) without incident, then queued again for a multi re-entry permit, with very short waits all around.

There were protesters still camped in the middle of building B (not far from the immigration office), and a speech by the leader was ongoing, but the crowd was small enough to not cause any disruption. Big change from yesterday's madness.

Actually you didn't get a non-o stamp you got a stamp that says extension of stay permitted to xx day xx month 2014.

No, I got a 90-day non-O stamp, then a USED stamp across it. It says Non-Immigrant Visa Category type "O" valid until 13 Feb 2014, so I don't really see how I could have misinterpreted that, it seems 100% clear-cut.

But if you are telling me a Non-Immigrant Visa, category "O", stamped in my passport, is not really a non-O visa, then I am not quite sure how to respond -- and in any case, it doesn't matter because the result is the same.

• Like 1

Actually you didn't get a non-o stamp you got a stamp that says extension of stay permitted to xx day xx month 2014.

No, I got a 90-day non-O stamp, then a USED stamp across it. It says Non-Immigrant Visa Category type "O" valid until 13 Feb 2014, so I don't really see how I could have misinterpreted that, it seems 100% clear-cut.

But if you are telling me a Non-Immigrant Visa, category "O", stamped in my passport, is not really a non-O visa, then I am not quite sure how to respond -- and in any case, it doesn't matter because the result is the same.

That under the assumption you were doing an extension of stay because you stated you got a multiple re-entry permit. Are you aware that it is only valid until your 90 day entry ends or when you do your extension.

That under the assumption you were doing an extension of stay because you stated you got a multiple re-entry permit. Are you aware that it is only valid until your 90 day entry ends or when you do your extension.

OK, understood. I did know that I am unlikely to get value out of the multi-entry. Most likely, I will make only two trips (possibly one) before it is rendered useless, but I had to weigh the extra cost against the hassle factor of applying for two single-entries.

In the end I chose convenience over money. If there was a dual-entry category, that's what I would have gone for. And unless I am wrong (entirely possible), I couldn't apply for two single-entries at the same time. In any case, thanks for the clarification, I know this stuff is off topic for this thread.

On topic, the good news is CW is free and clear, open for business, as long as you don't mind dodging a few vagrant-looking types sleeping on benches, a scattering of tents, and a worn-out crowd of less-than-enthusiastic protesters

It's now Fri. 29 Nov., and I have to renew my annual retirement visa as of 4 Dec. I have two questions. 1) Would Immigration at Chaengwattana accept my application today, or do I have to wait? 2) How risky do you think it is to wait till next Wed., given the chances for further unrest between now and then?

Just got back from CW today (Friday). Very fluid situation so skedaddled out as soon as I finished at 9.25 a.m. When I got there very early this morning at 7.30, the overnight stayers seemed to be just waking up, but when I left, the numbers seemed to be rapidly rising. Also, started hearing those whistles which seemed to indicate some call to arms.

The immigration usually opens at 8.30 but just like the previous day (thanks, Puyai Baan) the officers decided to open the doors early. On Thursday it was 8 and today it was 7.50. I really have to commend the officers who were trying to make the best of a tricky situation and were very proactive in helping the legit crowd. The officers are still dressed in their civvies for their own well-being, so don't be surprised if a person who's not in uniform starts trying to help you.

Anyway, it turned out to be the shortest time I'd ever taken to settle the visa and 90-day reporting. My Thai friend's advice had been right - if you have to go to CW and can't wait due to deadlines, get there as early as possible in the morning, as there may be problems as the day progresses. As I was leaving, I also saw a tv truck with a huge satellite dish on top and additional buses of people so obviously things are heating up.

Once again, I would like to praise the immigration officers who were handling the delicate situation as best they could. There were a number of people sleeping rough in the big atrium area just next to the immigration doors, and the officers explained that they were opening the doors early to allow us to get to the inner areas where we could sit in greater comfort. Certain officers then started their duties half an hour early and started the processing.

Just got back from CW today (Friday). Very fluid situation so skedaddled out as soon as I finished at 9.25 a.m. When I got there very early this morning at 7.30, the overnight stayers seemed to be just waking up, but when I left, the numbers seemed to be rapidly rising. Also, started hearing those whistles which seemed to indicate some call to arms.

The immigration usually opens at 8.30 but just like the previous day (thanks, Puyai Baan) the officers decided to open the doors early. On Thursday it was 8 and today it was 7.50. I really have to commend the officers who were trying to make the best of a tricky situation and were very proactive in helping the legit crowd. The officers are still dressed in their civvies for their own well-being, so don't be surprised if a person who's not in uniform starts trying to help you.

Anyway, it turned out to be the shortest time I'd ever taken to settle the visa and 90-day reporting. My Thai friend's advice had been right - if you have to go to CW and can't wait due to deadlines, get there as early as possible in the morning, as there may be problems as the day progresses. As I was leaving, I also saw a tv truck with a huge satellite dish on top and additional buses of people so obviously things are heating up.

Once again, I would like to praise the immigration officers who were handling the delicate situation as best they could. There were a number of people sleeping rough in the big atrium area just next to the immigration doors, and the officers explained that they were opening the doors early to allow us to get to the inner areas where we could sit in greater comfort. Certain officers then started their duties half an hour early and started the processing.

Sounds like a carbon-copy of yesterday. Opened at 8am after rumours that it wouldn't be opening at all but once inside, the staff (in civvies) were excellent and very helpful. Despite everything that was going on, they ran everything smoothly (with smiles) and my change of visa was a success.

I think they opened early because someone had ripped one of the huge entrance doors off its hinges! Somebody told me that it was to prevent the people from being locked in overnight. Anyway, I was there this morning and managed to make it through a visa extension in less than 30 minutes! A record, in my book. No traffic problems at all.

whistling.gif This is somewhat off topic ... but every year there are people asking questions like "Is immigration going to be open on ..... (date) .... in .... (somewhere) ...?"

There is always a list of government holidays in the GENERAL topic of this forum.

It is "pinned" there and tells you all the holidays and that government buildings will be closed for holidays.

Unfortunately, many people simply don't read it or even know it"s there

Here is the list for December 2013:

5 December (Thu) H.M. The King's Birthday National Holiday
10 December (Tue) Constitution Day

30 December(Mon) New Year's Extra Holiday
31 December (Tue) New Year's Eve National Holiday

On those National Holidays you can be sure immigration offices won't be open, including Thai consulates in such places as Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, etc.

This year, as has been pointed out, due to the political situation, Chaerng Wattana may also be closed or there may be demonstrations in the area.

Also expect there to be fewer staff in immigration during the kings birthday time frame .... taking holiday time off. (especially senior staff).

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I went to CW Immigration yesterday, Friday, November 29, around 1500 hrs. I was in and out for my 90 check in about ten minutes.

The mobs were giving speeches in the huge central atrium. It was about 75% full. No one interfered with the Immigration offices.

The only inconvenience due to the mobs was snarled traffic getting into the government complex. Our taxi driver diverted and we went in the back way. A lot of protesters parked their cars on the main road before you turn into the complex.

Are the Government Complexes at Nonthaburi and Chaengwattana one and the same? If so, Monday doesn't appear to bode well for trips to the Immigration Office there according to this article in The Nation:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Suthep-set-to-paralyse-govt-30220955.html

If, however, they are completely separate establishments, then please accept my apologies for an off-topic digression (and causing unnecessary alarm).