BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Protests cause number of foreign tourists to drop by 300,000: Thailand

Protests cause number of foreign tourists to drop by 300,000: permanent secretary
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- On-going protests have caused the number of foreign tourist to drop by 300,000 so far, the permanent secretary for Tourism and Sports said Wednesday.

Suwat Sitthilor, the permanent secretary, said the drop of foreign tourists had caused the country to lose about Bt16 billion in what it should have received from the foreign tourists.

The damage would be higher if the protests continued until the end of next month, Suwat said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-27

I just realised that I'm not sure if the Thais use the US or UK standard in defining a billion. Is it 109 or 1012 ??

Anyway, dividing the 16 billion baht into the 300,000 lost tourists, it works out to be circa 53,000 baht per tourist on the US scale, or 5.3M Baht on the UK scale. It's a pretty good guess they use the US scale on that basis.

So the government is assuming that each tourist spends 53k Baht on their visit here on average. I guess that seems about right for a 10 day holiday.

So much for the two week millionaires - they're obviously overstating their financial position!! blink.png

Three hundred thousand lost tourists already?

Borrocks!

So how many have not come already? If you know the number is wrong surly you must know the correct number. The correct number is?

• Like 1

No worries. Quality Chinese tourists are always an option.

• Like 1

"On-going protests have caused the number of foreign tourist to drop by 300,000 so far, the permanent secretary for Tourism and Sports said Wednesday."

I wish they would make up their minds. One day the report is that tourism is up and continues to grow. The next day it drops by 300,000. Makes one wonder if TAT and T&S just make up these figures to suit their agenda whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

Well, didn't PM Yingluck tell the TAT to concentrate on quality tourists rather than simple numbers? Anyone spending only 53,000 Baht on a one/two weeks holiday here obviously doesn't fall in the category of 'quality tourists'. rolleyes.gif

"On-going protests have caused the number of foreign tourist to drop by 300,000 so far, the permanent secretary for Tourism and Sports said Wednesday."

I wish they would make up their minds. One day the report is that tourism is up and continues to grow. The next day it drops by 300,000. Makes one wonder if TAT and T&S just make up these figures to suit their agenda whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

The government agenda is anti government riots to destroy tourism and business? Hmmmm.

Well, didn't PM Yingluck tell the TAT to concentrate on quality tourists rather than simple numbers? Anyone spending only 53,000 Baht on a one/two weeks holiday here obviously doesn't fall in the category of 'quality tourists'. rolleyes.gif

Your point is?

No harm done wai.gif

Your point is?

First of all, it is just a number the PTP government made up, they have no factual numbers to back up their statement.

Secondly, even if it was true, then big losses is usually not a concern for the PTP government, who is currently losing a similar amount of tax payer money each month on the rice scam alone. So I do not know why they are suddenly concerned about losses in the tourism industry?

How was this determined? From ticket cancellations?

It can't be due to hotel cancellations because we were told just a couple of days ago that there haven't been any.

A nuclear bomb or bubonic plague will not keep the sex tourists away. The Chinese might get a bit jittery over the prospect of civil unrest. The Russian tour companies have already warned they might redirect tourists. I'm waiting for the bombs to start going off in Bangkok.