Where can I have turkey this thanksgiving in Bangkok?

code88

My wife and I want to have turkey and pumpkin pie tomorrow. We found a few restaurants on the internet but weren't sure which one was good. Could you suggest the best restaurant in Bangkok for having turkey and pumpkin pie this thanksgiving?

We are Thai and want to taste authentic turkey and pumpkin pie. smile.png

From the stick !!! Good eating !!!

Various restaurants are doing something for Thanksgiving, this coming Thursday, November 28th. The perennial favourite is Bourbon Street which puts on a fabulous buffet feast every year. I note that due to its popularity a 2-hour time limit has been put in place if there happen to be people waiting and reservations aren't accepted. Bully's, between Sukhumvit sois 2 and 4, also has a buffet, but is a little more low-key. If you prefer a set menu with a choice of main that includes American prime Angus beef or turkey, the original branch of Sunrise Tacos is the place to go. Finally, if you'd prefer to have Thanksgiving at home, but don't fancy doing the cooking, Sunrise has a great deal with a roasted 6 kg turkey and accompaniments for 8 people all for 3,295 baht. Details on all these deals can be found below.

Bullys-Thanksgiving.jpg

Sunrise-Tacos-Thanksgiving.jpg

Sunrise-Tacos-Thanksgiving2013.jpg

Bourbon-Street-Thanksgiving2013.jpg

• Like 1

Not being a Yank I do not give a toss But enjoy any how smile.png

Yes , Thanksgiving is not quite a British tradition !! Being an American , it's kind of ingrained in me ( uh , food-wise ) , but I could surmise most of the rest of the civilized world not having a care for it. In a way, it's a ludicrous the whole idea , because the "White" settlers beat back the American Indian with reckless disregard. So, one day of sharing a feast together is some magnanimous event ? Just one Holiday that brings family together , which is good , but the thing it stands for ? A reason for the White New World Settler to celebrate himself. And these were my ancestors !!!

Just one man's opinion but if you're looking for a good Thanksgiving experience and good turkey and pumpkin pie AVOID Bourbon Street. Food thrown into buffet servers, not quality food, grab your utensils, no table service, overcrowded and competition for limited seating. Went last year, highly disappointed and ended up having good sushi for Thanksgiving at the Japanese around the corner.

Yes , Thanksgiving is not quite a British tradition !! Being an American , it's kind of ingrained in me ( uh , food-wise ) , but I could surmise most of the rest of the civilized world not having a care for it. In a way, it's a ludicrous the whole idea , because the "White" settlers beat back the American Indian with reckless disregard. So, one day of sharing a feast together is some magnanimous event ? Just one Holiday that brings family together , which is good , but the thing it stands for ? A reason for the White New World Settler to celebrate himself. And these were my ancestors !!!

Nice bit of self loathing cheesy.gif

In my American family and tradition it was much simpler - a time to give thanks as the earliest settlers did for surviving the perils and making a first harvest, sharing the thanks with family and extended family, the basic unit that we all count on to survive in life. No religious aspect necessarily and no commercial aspect. Pretty much a concept anyone in the world could recognize and accept but it happens to be an American tradition that acknowledges the universal value.

You don't get humor and sarcasm apparently. But for you to attack my right to express myself in this forum with some scathing attack that is clearly a character assassination , is highly offensive. Go stuff your face with turkey , all-american boy, and go sell your message to someone else. You are clearly a poser that has probably never in his life done a single thing to give back to the country where you were raised and coddled. And take your asinine emoticons and put it where the sun doesn't shine , child.

In my American family and tradition it was much simpler - a time to give thanks as the earliest settlers did for surviving the perils and making a first harvest, sharing the thanks with family and extended family, the basic unit that we all count on to survive in life. No religious aspect necessarily and no commercial aspect. Pretty much a concept anyone in the world could recognize and accept but it happens to be an American tradition that acknowledges the universal value.

"After the whiplash of visa on arrival, acquiring double entry visas with extensions and then converting to the Non "O" - time for gin and tonics and a long holiday from the adventures and the only 'in and out' to be done accomplished while swinging from the chandeliers, or wherever…"

Sound familiar? Tells me everything I need to know about you , why you're in Thailand and the glass house you live in , as you throw stones. Looks like the American Nationalist prefers not to live there. Good luck with your "in and out" adventures , swinging from chandeliers in LOS. I'd hate to get a real glimpse into your Thailand shenanigans , more than likely are of a very unsavory nature.

Just one man's opinion but if you're looking for a good Thanksgiving experience and good turkey and pumpkin pie AVOID Bourbon Street. Food thrown into buffet servers, not quality food, grab your utensils, no table service, overcrowded and competition for limited seating. Went last year, highly disappointed and ended up having good sushi for Thanksgiving at the Japanese around the corner.

Just had lunch with colleagues at Bourbon Street. It was a bit crowded right at noon, but it cleared out pretty quickly. Nice American craft beer being sold at the door for those waiting. The food was excellent and the staff was very attentive. Come 7 o'clock tonight it might be a different story, but lunch was great!

• Like 1

Sunrise Tacos? Who'da thunk, lol!

Edit: The Bully's menu looks fantastic.

Careful with buffet type spreads at Bully's. Great ambiance and nice staff , but…...

Uh-oh...planning to take the family there for dinner this evening. Have there been problems with the food quality there? Do tell.

Careful with buffet type spreads at Bully's. Great ambiance and nice staff , but…...

Uh-oh...planning to take the family there for dinner this evening. Have there been problems with the food quality there? Do tell.

I had a Cinco De Mayo style buffet there last May. Much as I like the place for its general atmosphere , the food quality was not good. Perhaps, a Thanksgiving buffet would be better ( because it's warm food and they will likely keep it that way ) , the Mexican style buffet is harder to put together and keep fresh, b/c there's tomatoes , shredded cheese , sour cream , etc that sits out on a table. The seasoned beef was questionable , the taco shells were stale , the taco fixings did not taste fresh and appeared to have been sitting out on the table all day. I believe the menu food is better than buffet food. It's a good place , maybe you can drop by , assess the situation and have a Plan B , in case you take a pass. Hope that helps.

I had a Cinco De Mayo style buffet there last May. Much as I like the place for its general atmosphere , the food quality was not good. Perhaps, a Thanksgiving buffet would be better ( because it's warm food and they will likely keep it that way ) , the Mexican style buffet is harder to put together and keep fresh, b/c there's tomatoes , shredded cheese , sour cream , etc that sits out on a table. The seasoned beef was questionable , the taco shells were stale , the taco fixings did not taste fresh and appeared to have been sitting out on the table all day. I believe the menu food is better than buffet food. It's a good place , maybe you can drop by , assess the situation and have a Plan B , in case you take a pass. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that. You make some good points. Having worked in the food business before (a looooonnnnggg time ago), I agree that a Mexican-style buffet is more difficult to keep fresh than other types. Some friends have said that Bully's does a good job for Thanksgiving, so we'll give 'em a shot. Sounds like Sunrise might make for a good Plan B. Cheers!

Just came back from Sunrise Tacos, Don't bother. overpriced for what you get, about half the portion size compared to last year. Turkey was cold, vegetables undercooked and no apple pie. The wife had the Pork chop and it was undercooked, raw in the middle, so had to send it back, The only thing that was almost good was the salad. They have lost me as an customer.

I didn't go to Bully's last year because we ate at home.

But for the two Thanksgivings prior to that, we had the Thanksgiving buffet dinner at Bully's, and it was quite good, and one of the more reasonably priced Thanksgiving offerings around town. We weren't lacking for anything during our meals.

I've also had the Bourbon Street buffet previously, and IMHO, Bully's does a better job of putting out a well maintained and stocked buffet

Foodland may carry some frozen turkey product , meat is chopped, pressed and formed with lots of lovely artificial ingredients and same with pumpkin pie , look in the freezer case. It may be a cheaper alternative to the Thanksgiving-loving expat and tourist that desires to emulate the tradition.

Not sure quite what you're referring to above...

The Foodland by my home in BKK has two approaches available:

1. is pre-prepared turkey dinner plates that can be eaten in their cafe or taken to go, usually priced about 299 per plate. We tried that option last year, and it was OK, but not great. This year, we opted for cooking at home. Their plate includes some roast turkey, a slice of baked dressing, mashed potatoes, soup, and a slice of pie.

2. For the fix at home folks, Foodland stocks frozen Butterball brand whole turkeys and turkey breasts from the U.S., as does Villa Markets. This year, we bought a frozen uncooked turkey breast of about 2 kilos in weight that was priced at 455b per kilo, After thawing, it roasted and cooked up fine in the oven at home in just about two hours time.

Foodland also stocks some supporting products such as canned Ocean Spray cranberry sauce. But Villa had Princella canned yams and Stovetop stuffing mix, while my Foodland had neither. Both, obviously, stock potatoes and mashed potato mixes as well as various gravy preparations.

I probably spent about 1600b in all for all the turkey dinner ingredients for myself and my wife, which basically equals to the price of about two one-time turkey dinners or buffets at the local restaurants. But in our case, we not only had dinner tonight, but now have several more meals in the frig of leftover turkey as well as extra mashed potatoes, candied yams, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc etc.

BTW, while I tend to think Bully's is a better Thanksgiving dinner choice than either Bourbon Street or Sunrice Tacos' Sukhumvit or Silom locations, Bourbon and Sunrise do have the advantage of offering their turkey meals again on Friday/tomorrow for those who want seconds or didn't catch turkey today.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Just came back from Sunrise Tacos, Don't bother. overpriced for what you get, about half the portion size compared to last year. Turkey was cold, vegetables undercooked and no apple pie. The wife had the Pork chop and it was undercooked, raw in the middle, so had to send it back, The only thing that was almost good was the salad. They have lost me as an customer.

I stopped by Sunrise's Sukhumvit location Thursday afternoon, and also was surprised to find they had no apple pie in stock for some reason. They did, however, (at least at that point in the day) have plenty of pumpkin and pecan pie slices.

The Thanksgiving style pies at Sunrise (apple, pumpkin, pecan, etc) are about as authentic as I've found around Bangkok, and priced at 85b per slice.

One of the nice features of their Tuesday and Friday afternoon/evening taco buffets is the inclusion of all the apple or pumpkin pie you can eat... yearround... not just during the holiday season.

Can't decide which I like more, their carnitas soft tacos topped with jalapeno salsa... or their apple and pumpkin pies.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Foodland may carry some frozen turkey product , meat is chopped, pressed and formed with lots of lovely artificial ingredients and same with pumpkin pie , look in the freezer case. It may be a cheaper alternative to the Thanksgiving-loving expat and tourist that desires to emulate the tradition.

Not sure quite what you're referring to above...

The Foodland by my home in BKK has two approaches available:

1. is pre-prepared turkey dinner plates that can be eaten in their cafe or taken to go, usually priced about 299 per plate. We tried that option last year, and it was OK, but not great. This year, we opted for cooking at home. Their plate includes some roast turkey, a slice of baked dressing, mashed potatoes, soup, and a slice of pie.

2. For the fix at home folks, Foodland stocks frozen Butterball brand whole turkeys and turkey breasts from the U.S., as does Villa Markets. This year, we bought a frozen uncooked turkey breast of about 2 kilos in weight that was priced at 455b per kilo, After thawing, it roasted and cooked up fine in the oven at home in just about two yours time.

Foodland also stocks some supporting products such as canned Ocean Spray cranberry sauce. But Villa had Princella canned yams and Stovetop stuffing mix, while my Foodland had neither. Both, obviously, stock potatoes and mashed potato mixes as well as various gravy preparations.

I probably spent about 1600b in all for all the turkey dinner ingredients for myself and my wife, which basically equals to the price of about two one-time turkey dinners or buffets at the local restaurants. But in our case, we not only had dinner tonight, but now have several more meals in the frig of leftover turkey as well as extra mashed potatoes, candied yams, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc etc.

BTW, while I tend to think Bully's is a better Thanksgiving dinner choice than either Bourbon Street or Sunrice Tacos' Sukhumvit or Silom locations, Bourbon and Sunrise do have the advantage of offering their turkey meals again on Friday/tomorrow for those who want seconds or didn't catch turkey today.

Was joking around only Tall Guy, I assure you. It was more of a dig at the frozen food industry on the lower end of the scale. Foodland is pretty much a class act in grocery stores around BKK and I'm certain they offer a gold Holiday option in regards to TG.

Speaking as an American, Thanksgiving the holiday certainly has its historical origins that go way back...and people can debate over the history of that.

But for most Americans, during my entire life, it's really a holiday devoted to getting together with one's family and relatives, and enjoying a good meal and company together, and "giving thanks" for the lives that we've been given.

You don't need to be an American to enjoy, appreciate and celebrate that kind of holiday.

• Like 1

The British equivalent of 'Thanksgiving' is the 'Harvest Festival' which happens around this time of the year. Great mounds of fruit, vegetables and flowers are piled up in the churches and Schools of farming communities ready for the Christian celebration of a another harvest safely gathered in. The British tradition dose not include a family meal.

I was lucky in that I lived and worked in the USA and came to value both versions of Thanksgiving. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and remembered your families back home.

Edited by indyuk

Do not go to Sunrise Tacos.

They're doing some kind of scam where they put a menu out saying you get mashed potatoes, stuffing, bread, etc. with your meat, and then when you order they say you only get to pick one side.

I complained that they didn't give me any stuffing as advertised, and after discussing with the manager for a minute, she went back to the chef and brought back a bowl of soggy croutons. I said that isn't stuffing, and she went back to the kitchen again and came back and said "It's Mexican stuffing."

I'm pretty sure they don't have Thanksgiving in Mexico.

The customer who came in after me was having problems too.

The owner was sitting in the store and didn't seem to care.

Not sure what their problem is this year. I went in years past and it was fine.

Edited by BlueEasySleep

They're doing some kind of scam where they put a menu out saying you get mashed potatoes, stuffing, bread, etc. with your meat, and then when you order they say you only get to pick one side.

I complained that they didn't give me any stuffing as advertised, and after discussing with the manager for a minute, she went back to the chef and brought back a bowl of soggy croutons. I said that isn't stuffing, and she went back to the kitchen again and came back and said "It's Mexican stuffing."

In looking at their menu, it certainly appears to say that you'd be given all of the side dishes...not only to choose one from the group.

post-58284-0-31470300-1385775199_thumb.j

In looking at their menu, it certainly appears to say that you'd be given all of the side dishes...not only to choose one from the group.

attachicon.gifPS1143.jpg

I was too kind what I said about Sunrise Taco, This years thanksgiving dinner was the worst I have ever eaten and it was out right theft what they did this year. Never again, you will get me once but not again.

Edited by pmarlin

Just a follow up on Bully's. we took the family and friends there for dinner - a total of 9 people. We were running late by over an hour but they worked us in as soon as we arrived. The service was a but off, but they were dealing with an unruly customer, so no biggie there. The food was fresh and well-stocked. They have a really nice setup that helps maintain things at the proper temperature. They have a new GM there, I believe her name is Abigale. Terrific lady with extensive international F&B experience. She was very attentive and kept the staff on their toes. For our first Thanksgiving away from the extended family in the US I would say this was a suitable replacement. We all left fat and happy, and the price was reasonable. We'll be back next year for sure.

Thanks to all those who posted on this forum. It really helped us decide where to go. Much appreciated! thumbsup.gif