Democrat attacks PM Yingluck, govt over rice scheme

webfact

CENSURE DEBATE
Democrat attacks PM, govt over rice scheme

Hataikarn Treesuwan
The Nation

30220772-01_big.jpg
Warong

Yingluck insists pledging has done good to farmers as MP points to irregularities

BANGKOK: -- Democrat MP Warong Dechgitvigrom yesterday attacked Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her government over alleged corruption in the rice-pledging scheme.

On the second day of the censure debate against Yingluck and Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan, Warong alleged corruption in the programme's processes, related to government announcements of rice sales to poor people at Bt70 a bag, especially from the Public Warehouse Organisation stock. He referred to a PWO report that it had 600,000 tonnes, but the Democrat found that the rice in its stocks had not reached poor people.

He came up with a long list of the government's processes that he called dubious, and called for "an end to the rice-pledging scheme and an end to the current government".

He asked Yingluck, who he said also chaired the National Rice Policy Committee, to answer three questions.

l Why did the National Rice Policy Committee approve the pledging scheme on four occasions in 2012 and 2013?

l Why were no contracts signed binding the rice mills to have work done within a stipulated time?

l Why did PWO officers not sign their names on six contracts, related to PWO approval in December 2012, when 1.8 million tonnes of its rice stock was withdrawn?

He said the government sold paddy rice from PWO stocks to three mills - Chia Meng Rice Mill, Choke Woraluck Rice Mill and Singto Thong Rice Mill in Kamphaeng Phet.

Then the three mills sold the rice to three brokers at Bt65.60 a bag, and the brokers went on to sell it to the public at Bt70 a bag.

"During a meeting of the ad hoc committee, two rice brokers admitted that they had no experience of managing rice.

"So they sold the rice back to rice mills. An exclusive committee of a Siamrak rice broker has the same last name as the vice president of the PWO," he said.

He charged the government with collusion in managing the rice-pledging scheme. He also alleged that Singto Thong Rice Mill in Kamphaeng Phet was being influenced and had the backing of a minister, who was a close aide of "Jae D".

In response, PM's Office Minister Varathep Ratanakorn said Warong could not accuse him of any wrongdoing, as he had no involvement.

"If he has evidence of my involvement, I'll be happy to respond," he said.

Meanwhile, Yingluck said the rice-pledging scheme was transparent, there was no corruption, and it had helped farmers increase their savings.

"I never knew the name of rice mills and brokers, contrary to what the opposition claims. I would have ordered an investigation if there was any corruption," she said.

She denied that she chaired the National Rice Policy Committee and said she had assigned the duty to Deputy Prime Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-28

"I would have ordered an investigation if there was any corruption"

So every time there were allegations over the past two years, in the media or in Parliament, you never heard about them ? blink.png

As I recall, there were several Ministerial-denials of corruption, and one investigation revealed millions of tons of rice were unable to be accounted for, but this didn't ring any alarm-bells with the fragrant PM ? facepalm.gif

Sorry Yingluck, but it's a classic blatant lie fail, to claim at this point, that you never even heard, about any possible corruption-allegations. And You Did Nothing ! wink.png

Did she ever think that maybe they aren't going to tell her about their corruption and that maybe she should look for it?

It's a classic case of 'we can do what we want because our boss is stupid'.

First rate example of 'no confidence'.... she has to go.

"I never knew the name of rice mills and brokers, contrary to what the opposition claims. I would have ordered an investigation if there was any corruption," she said.

My brother said it was ok, trust my brother. When the government minister stated that the rice scheme could not go ahead for another year because it was losing money an the government couldn't afford it, who ordered it to continue when reds said they would protest....who takes responsibility for that incompetent cowardly decision?

Edited by ramrod711

Not me, not me, I didn't know. Repeat ad nauseam. Seems nobody in this government has responsibility for anything, not even the criminal not manipulating it.

Unfortunately, taking responsibility for ANYTHING is a failing of ALL Thai's, not just those in Government.

Now that does does know, is she going to take action against the guilty parties? At the top of the list would be the responsible Ministers. Will the axe fall? No, she'll just keep repeating that she knows nothing therefore can do nothing. That being the case, it's time for a new PM. This one is obviously incompetent.

• Like 1

She'll be packing her bags and running for the private jet soon...... If she can remember where it's parked that is ...cheesy.gif

She can delegate and form a committee to locate it. If it's anything like the rice they won't find it or, if they do, say at another airport or damaged, apparently they wouldn't be obliged to inform her of it ... although it'd be in her very best interest to know.
  • Like 1

"Meanwhile, Yingluck said the rice-pledging scheme was transparent, there was no corruption, and it had helped farmers increase their savings"

Really, rice farmers have savings and they are increasing? From what I have seen they are mostly in debt from rising land rental fees and costs of seeds and chemicals, which all increased when PTP announced the scam.

• Like 1

I am guessing she has been told to just deny everything and say she doesn't know anything to every question...

As eventually the opposition will run out of time/questions and no matter what the end result of the vote is already known...

So just admit nothing regardless of what is said and what proof is given...

This reminds me of a certain song..,,

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/x63mim_shaggy-it-wasnt-me_news

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

She'll be packing her bags and running for the private jet soon...... If she can remember where it's parked that is ...cheesy.gif

She can always rent a jet ski.... no wait.... bad idea!

Cannot be a helicopter she skips in...they cannot fly by night she said.

• Like 2

She is in love with Obama, and the two have perfected the blame game, accepting no responsibility for their lies and action/inaction/corruption. What I'm admiring about Thailand at this point is the willingness of the people to say enough is enough, take to the streets and demand the crooks step down. If only the Americans had the fortitude to demand the same of their corrupt politicians.......

The opposition want to bring PM Yingluck down because they alleged that her party members and their families are corrupt.

Millions of Thai people have waited sixty-seven years for a liberal all inclusive government to be elected, While many political parties in government facilitated themselves and their families access to the agri-products of Thaland for the purpose of self enrichment

Now at last the people have a party that care about their years of oppression and seeks to establish a fairer system of governance to care for all of the people all of the time.

The opposition want to bring PM Yingluck down because they alleged that her party members and their families are corrupt.

Millions of Thai people have waited sixty-seven years for a liberal all inclusive government to be elected, While many political parties in government facilitated themselves and their families access to the agri-products of Thaland for the purpose of self enrichment

Now at last the people have a party that care about their years of oppression and seeks to establish a fairer system of governance to care for all of the people all of the time.

post-46292-0-53144900-1385722964_thumb.j

Hmmm Thaksin has been in government from1997- 2006 then had his proxy government from 2006- 2008 and 2011 til now. That's 12 of the last 16 years!