Ambassador Kent: British travelers consider Thailand a year-round tourist destination

webfact

Taking care of, or looking after it's citizens is not, and never has been, the primary function of an embassy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/priority/supporting-british-nationals-in-thailand

Supporting British nationals in Thailand

The British Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand works with our consulate in Chiang Mai and local partners to assist British nationals. Read more.

Taking care of, or looking after it's citizens is not, and never has been, the primary function of an embassy.

No but it would be nice if it were A function.

It would :) and I suppose they do a few things, for money, that could be classified as taking care of us. Well, providing what the host country requires of us and making us pay through the nose for the privilege is probably more accurate ;)

But we have to remember that the embassy is there to represent the interests of the country it represents, not the individuals who happen to have been born in that country.

Also, it, and we, aren't in the UK, so people who fall foul of the laws of whatever country they're in often expect more from their government's staff than they are able to provide.

Sleeping, drinking in bars and buying cheapo sex is a come-rain-or-shine activity for us Brits.

The Russians haven't quite cottoned on to Thailand's USP yet. They go to the beach, or rather, sit around glumly in Pukhet hotels for 8 months of the year!

While this is true, he would be a fool in this country to spout any of that out at a public luncheon at a bank. That sort of stuff is discussed behind closed door, where face can be maintained and things can be negotiated for. Throwing his rattle out of the pram will simply ostracize him, and make his efforts with Thai authorities impossible. He has little "power", what he has is diplomacy and negotiating ability - that is used in tact, as and when needed, and privately until agreement is reached.

Many posters in this thread have demonstrated their complete ignorance of diplomacy or just indulging in anonymous bashing. I attended a briefing by the executive responsible for Consular Services who talked to the services they are empowered to provide to UK citizens in Thailand & other matters e.g. assistance and support for 23 sexual assault victims in 2011/2012. Some questions from the attendees were childish, as are some of the comments in this thread.

Hey simple, I think you may be referring to mine ??? but to inform you the said Ambassador should offer services where needed within the guidelines of his work. My other points he could try to help with many matters appertaining to retired/ex pats here, similar to those I mentioned --WHY NOT ???? these guys are not above doing normal feedback to London. they are paid servants by the public.

No, not you specifically. Ambassador or rather Consular more than likely does provide feedback to the FCO on issues faced by UK citizens in Thailand. I believe it was mentioned publically by the last Ambassador, prior to departing, regards pensions. Whether this will contribute to the Department for Work & Pensions who can change policy is questionable, given the political climate in the U.K.

I recall FCO have made it clear why U.K. passports are not processed within Thailand.

I assume people have made themselves aware of what the Embassy can/cannot do for UK citizens in Thailand, if not go to:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211217/FCO_BritsAbroad_web_13.pdf

I recall also the FCO making it clear. That is not the point, anyone in authority can "make it clear" the question is why their answer is not good enough, Stingy saving money, ??? they are spending more by handling here sending to UK sending to HKong <deleted>, a sorry way out couldn't care less, back to the old days again. We came from the past improved and now returned to backward thinking.

I worked under FCO in London, (Robin Cooks days) smoother running then.

My point is on pensions--pay up-we earned it, it doesn't matter if I spend it on the moon, I paid it in all I want is to be paid back what is rightfully mine. Then when I depart they can stop the payment---some go at an early age, they save billions on them.

My point re passport issue. less work and more DINNERS for our Ambassador.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Actually it used to be for many hundreds of years but in the 20th century it got watered down and Tony B'liar decided that instead of assisting ALL UK citizens regardless the FCO should become a profit making business. That is why if you are a businessman you get treated better than the rewst of us hoipolloi.

oh really ?who would go in summer except old pervs .the reason he kisses ass is because of the trade imbalance between the 2 countries .

thailand exports more to the UK than vice versa .

so theyre always desperate to cosy up to any thais that can sway orders his way .

in summer Brits go to europe as its much cheaper and sunny too .instead of cloudy and rainy LOS

Actually it used to be for many hundreds of years but in the 20th century it got watered down and Tony B'liar decided that instead of assisting ALL UK citizens regardless the FCO should become a profit making business. That is why if you are a businessman you get treated better than the rewst of us hoipolloi.

I agree with your sentiment that it no longer happens to the same degree that it might have in say, the 19th, or mid 20th century. But the initial, and primary purpose of an embassy is to represent its nation's interests and to carry out diplomacy. The very first embassies did nothing else.

Edited by bifftastic