Thai PM Yingluck easily survives no-confidence vote

webfact

Thai PM easily survives no-confidence vote amid street protests

BANGKOK, November 28, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's embattled Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday easily survived a parliamentary no-confidence vote against her, the house speaker said, as raucous protests continued on Bangkok's streets.

"Prime Minister Yingluck won the vote of confidence," said Somsak Kiatsuranont, with 297 lawmakers voting in her favour and 134 against.

The vote, which pivoted on a slew of allegations of corruption, comes amid ongoing mass street protests in Bangkok by opposition protesters seeking to topple Yingluck's elected government.

Demonstrators have paralysed government ministries in Bangkok to challenge Yingluck and the self-exiled Thaksin, in the biggest street protests since mass rallies in 2010 that turned deadly.

Protesters accuse Yingluck and her government of acting as a stooge to her brother, the billionaire tycoon-turned-politician who is adored by many of the country's rural and urban working class. But he is reviled by many in the elite and the middle classes.

The opposition Democrat Party brought the no-confidence motion alleging Yingluck and her government had overseen widespread corruption, including in a controversial rice subsidy scheme which is seen to have benefitted the rural heartlands of her Puea Thai party.

On Wednesday, protesters entered a major government complex in the northern outskirts of the capital and also forced staff to leave the Justice Department's besieged Department of Special Investigations.

Outside Bangkok, protesters gathered at about 25 provincial halls mainly in the opposition's southern heartlands -- including on the tourist island of Phuket.

While the demos have so far been largely peaceful, there are fears they could degenerate into another bout of street violence in a country that has seen several episodes of political unrest since Thaksin was toppled in a 2006 coup.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-28

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yingluck survives no-confidence vote with 297 votes of support

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra Thursday comfortably survived the no-confidence vote with 297 coalition MPs voting in her support.

A total of 134 opposition MPs voted against her while five MPs abstained.

The vote was held at 9:56 am.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-28

• Like 1

I think I heard my neighbour cheering. He runs an European luxury car import business. Would seem that some of his customers have just received a windfall from Montenegro. He'd better hope it isn't a case of "the cheque's in the post"!

Totally EXPECTED, BUT, what was revealed in the house was the truths came out and the public were hearing what many were not allowed to hear before. this no con/vote on TV live spoke to the international community things that they unaware of before. It will be on websites, the feedback from UNIVERSITY to rural families will be interesting.

If the P.M. smiles at the result it will be a big mistake, the N/C/Vote opened up another can of worms. I noticed the P.M. went missing for periods during questions.

• Like 2

"Prime Minister Yingluck won the vote of confidence," said Somsak Kiatsuranont, with 297 lawmakers voting in her favour and 134 against.

This is exactly why 50% of the MPs should be "selected".

Else, like now, there is no cheque and (bank) balance.

Yingluck, Charupong survive censure vote
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan Thursday comfortably survived a no-confidence vote.

The vote was held at 9:56 am after two days of showdown between the Democrat and Pheu Thai MPs.

Yingluck Shinawatra received 297 votes of confidence from coalition MPs while 134 opposition MPs voted against her. Five other MPs abstained.

Charupong won 296 votes of support while 135 MPs gave him a no-confidence vote and four MPs abstained.

Charupong gave a broad smile after flashed thumb-up sign to fellow Cabinet members after he learned the results.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-28

They had the majority for the vote so it was always doubtful, but I wonder how many voted against it because of the current lawlessness of the occupation-movement, formerly peaceful massprotest movement. I don't think it was a deciding factor but I'm certain that some people sided with Yingluck just because the protests have turned anarchic.

In any case, her failings are encyclopedic and she has to face the music on a lot of issues. The best we can hope for is that the antigovt crowds return to peaceful massprotest without the incendiary rhetoric and the occupation of sites. And for Yingluck's opponents in the political sphere to keep the pressure on her, and demand she attends Parliament and defends her deeply flawed decisions of the past years. Her surviving no-confidence vote is meaningless, she does not command respect in the nation she is charged with overseeing.

• Like 2

Dopey Dems.....they had their chance and couldn't get the job done.....

Names and acurate figures of the corruption may have made some difference.....but it's not the "polite" way.....

I don't think they have a plan B!

What different would it have made?

Seriously? After all the useless pathetic answers she gave, she still passes the vote?

All the sheep, with something to gain voted for her.

Believe me as in all countries -government-even your friends when YOUR funds dry up so do most of your friends.

You see the friends that you thought you had, were not really in the first place.

I want to give you an example-In all the top hotels in London you have a clientele of mega rich people, they are CLANS these clans frequent a different hotel. in one of the clans on (un-named) VIP went bust, within a week the word got round so was not welcome in the clan any more. Do you get my drift ?????

These party members are of the same type. they are greedy to say the least, and most have not got a clue how to run their departments.

Hence the mess we are in.

They had the majority for the vote so it was always doubtful, but I wonder how many voted against it because of the current lawlessness of the occupation-movement, formerly peaceful massprotest movement. I don't think it was a deciding factor but I'm certain that some people sided with Yingluck just because the protests have turned anarchic.

In any case, her failings are encyclopedic and she has to face the music on a lot of issues. The best we can hope for is that the antigovt crowds return to peaceful massprotest without the incendiary rhetoric and the occupation of sites. And for Yingluck's opponents in the political sphere to keep the pressure on her, and demand she attends Parliament and defends her deeply flawed decisions of the past years. Her surviving no-confidence vote is meaningless, she does not command respect in the nation she is charged with overseeing.

I doubt Suthep's tactics had any effect on vote, MPs voted according to party lines.

Regards your second paragraph, I don't see what's wrong with Suthep's tactic really. It just happens that in this case I don't support the protest. But if I did think they were justified in bringing the government down, peaceful occupation of govt buildings is a step I'd definitely support. Of course, if it's to remain completely peaceful, it tends to mean when police do decide to act, you're out. If not, there's an ethical dilemma over how much force is acceptable when resisting police etc. But anyway, point is, you can have 500,000 people in a park and it'll have zero effect. The cameras show up for a bit but then they get bored because there's no violence or much else of interest because generally, once you've heard one speech, you've heard them all. That sort of thing is easily absorbed by the system & ignored. It's generally the case that protests need to be disruptive to be effective.

I want to give you an example-In all the top hotels in London you have a clientele of mega rich people, they are CLANS these clans frequent a different hotel. in one of the clans on (un-named) VIP went bust, within a week the word got round so was not welcome in the clan any more. Do you get my drift ?????

No, not at all... What are you waffling on about ?

I think I posted this question last week already in another thread.

How do you impeach a PM who has the majority in parliament ?

Let's hope the anti-government protesters don't give up until mission accomplished.

I am trying but I can't think of a case where a democracy has been overthrown by a dictatorship willingly. Can you? Suthep wants to appoint leaders and Yingluck wants to elect them. I can see a problem there.

• Like 2

No surprises there, Yingluck and co were always going to win with a parliamentary majority. But the Dems have achieved their objectives, they didn't want her impeached but they did want her corrupt practices and inept leadership publicised for all to see. Yinglucks reputation has been sullied both nationally and internationally not that she was ever held in high esteem and she has been shown to be morally bankrupt. Now with this evidence out in the open its up to the judiciary to decide whether further investigation is warranted and if there is any criminal charges they have to answer.

Seriously? After all the useless pathetic answers she gave, she still passes the vote?

why not? The MPs are who vote for her are from PTP and would would for a concrete pole if ordered to do so.

Thailand or in the West, the same.

No, not at all... What are you waffling on about ?

Stop TRYING to be clever with your post. If you read the first part of my post you WOULD understand--when your in a click and you follow the rules you will stay in the click---

What are you Waffling on about if you cannot get the gist of my post.???? picking out half of the post -trying to show other posters that is all I posted. NOT TRUE

After brownie points are we, get your head on straight and understand. I am not the best writer BUT do make or try to make valid points, unlike you nit picking.

Dopey Dems.....they had their chance and couldn't get the job done.....

Names and acurate figures of the corruption may have made some difference.....but it's not the "polite" way.....

I don't think they have a plan B!

What different would it have made?

No difference at all....the vote was always going to go the PT way.

But...it may have enlightened those that are blind believers, that all is not good among their beloved party....then again...probably not...som nom na ~~