Swedish tourist drowns at popular Phuket beach

webfact

Swedish tourist drowns at popular Phuket beach
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_20131128143628257_HhGMHWsRfNb
Tourist drownings continue at Phuket’s popular Karon Beach, despite warning notices. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Big Phuket waves at Karon Beach claimed another tourist’s life yesterday afternoon.

Swedish national Ann Gorli Teres Fjellner, 59, was knocked over and dragged out by heavy waves at about 9:30am, Karon Police Deputy Superintendent Pachai Matthayan told the Phuket Gazette.

“Lifeguards saw the waves pull her out, but when they went to save her, she was already missing in the water. About an hour later, her body appeared and lifeguards recovered it,” Col Pachai said.

Ms Fjellner’s body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital, and the Swedish Embassy has been notified of the incident.

Kata-Karon chief lifeguard Uten Singsom has continued to warn tourists about the dangers that plague the popular west-coast beaches.

“The weather is changing, and the danger is changing from rip currents to hard-hitting waves, especially near the beach,” he said.

“Please be careful. Even in water only knee-high, the waves can knock you down and hurt you,” he added.

English tourist Edward Brookes, 63, drowned at Karon Beach last Thursday (story here).

His death was preceded by that of Norwegian tourist Chris Hangsao, 55, who drowned at Karon Beach on November 15

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Swedish-tourist-drowns-at-popular-Phuket-beach-22889.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-28

People have come a long way and some are determined to go to the beach and go swimming in the sea despite all manner of warnings. There is only so much you can do. Fatalities happen frequently in Phuket with its dangerous coast and seas.

• Like 1

It's sad to read about another death at Karon beach. I walked along the beach yesterday and while there was a light/medium swell it did not appear to be a life threatening sea state. Many people in the sea, no warning signs. Might have been a rip current but by the end of November ??

I'm sure the intentions were good but unfortunate wording.

I'm a strong swimmer, dive master and swam in some pretty hairy seas all over the globe and I have to say Karon struck me as one of the most, if not the most dangerous waters I've ever been in. I wouldn't even contemplate going in there now.

I've been in a couple of rip tides incl a strong one in the Similan islands which put about 50 metres of water between me and the rest of my dive buddies in seconds - very frightning initially but once you know whats happening its all about steering clear of the panic button! Remember peeps if a rip tide grabs you, you just have to wait for it to release you, which is usually the case within seconds, sounds stupid but relax, fight it, a natural reaction, and you're probably doomed!

Thanks for the heads up (out of water) tip.

Karon again and again, it doesn't stop. Once ever I spent time in Kovalam/India, where like in Karon the sea looked very inviting for swimming/bodysurfing. But when I checked into the hotel they sternly warned me not to go into the sea further than the water being at hip level, telling me many people had drowned there. Possibly hotels/guesthouses could be requested to hand out a leaflet to guests checking in, written in their language, warning about the dangers of swimming at that beach.

Before I even read the article, I thought; Karon….

That rip in front of the roundabout is a killer ! I got taken out over a mile but somehow managed to make it back, to be told by a local that sometimes 2-3 people a day are drowned here this time of the year !! They should have a permanent lifeguard on duty here in addition to the signs, with something like a surfboard for flotation !

We're afraid of sharks and box jellyfish but the real silent killer is undercurrents.

Since warning signs will never be enough maybe we should start educating the public more on how to handle yourself if pulled out to sea by such currents. Don't fight the pull, hold your breath, let yourself rise to the surface when the pull has subsided and swim horizontally along the shore until you start feeling less resistance from the currents pushing you away then swim at an angle towards the shore. Most people drown of exhaustion trying to fight the waves pulling them down or swimming against the tide. If your not physically fit enough to do the following I would suggest life vests while venturing out.