Abhisit: Democrats determined to evict Thaksin regime

Lite Beer

Abhisit: Democrats determined to evict Thaksin regime

BANGKOK: -- Opposition Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva Thursday insisted his party is determined to overthrow the Thaksin regime, saying the government has lost the legitimacy to remain in office.

Abhisit said Democrats were ready to support people movement within constitutional means. He did not rule out the possibility of his MPs resigning.

"If it leads us to win in the battle we won't hesitate [to do it] with unity," he said.

He said he would like to invite all people to join the Democrat to reform the party with the goal to help the country.

"Our aim is to uproot Thaksin regime. If we succeed, all of us in the Democrat Party will not accept any post as a result of unconstitutional way of fight,’" he said.

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.DZvwah7W-x.
-- The Nation 2013-11-28

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor old Mark, he just doesn't get it. He's so intelligent, educated, smart, and yet he just cannot win power legitimately because the people prefer the Shinawatra family to him. so now he is giving tacit support to Thug-sabarns extra parliamentary mob. Patience Mark, the election is under 3 years away, and then you will have another chance to persuade the Thai people that your squeaky clean, government of the intelligent, is really what they want, rather than a decent health system, a decent price for their rice, an end to exploitative rents from landlords etc etc. Good luck with that, Matk, sincerely.

Wasn't one of the first things PTP do when gaining office to cancel the free healthcare system to go back to the old failed Thaksin 30baht health care system? How many farmers, not middle men, not land owners, but subsistence farmers, have profited at all from the rice pledging scheme that has all but killed the Thai rice export business (and bankrupt the government banks)? What protection did PTP give you with regard to explosive rents up here in the Red heartland Pedr?

Having said that, I think the Dems should be sitting back and watching rather than putting themselves in the way of a potential dissolution charge. Abhisit is bandwagon jumping - like Suthep (but at least he had the balls to go all in). I can't see any real upside for Abhisit in this regard - I doubt he is going to increase his vote numbers - at best he will have a much easier opposition next time around.

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 2

Poor old Mark, he just doesn't get it. He's so intelligent, educated, smart, and yet he just cannot win power legitimately because the people prefer the Shinawatra family to him. so now he is giving tacit support to Thug-sabarns extra parliamentary mob. Patience Mark, the election is under 3 years away, and then you will have another chance to persuade the Thai people that your squeaky clean, government of the intelligent, is really what they want, rather than a decent health system, a decent price for their rice, an end to exploitative rents from landlords etc etc. Good luck with that, Matk, sincerely.

........you still pushing that healthcare <deleted> still.top quality cancer care eh ......dont troll.. Edited by winstonc
  • Like 1

Democrat party will strive to topple Thaksin regime

Democrat_Party_logo-wpcf_728x413.jpg

The Democrat party will continue to continue to strive for the overthrow the Thaksin regime in parallel with the street protesters, announced party leader Abhisit Vejjjajiva on Thursday late afternoon.

The party will not recognize a government which rejects the authority of the Constitution Court, said Abhisit, adding that the campaign to topple the regime will begin tomorrow.

The Democrat party leader stressed that the party and he himself would not accept any positions in an interim administration if there is a political upheaval which is not accordance with parliamentary system.

Referring to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s overture for talks in order to put to rest the political conflicts, Abhisit said the prime minister has no right to make any claim or to host the talks “because she is the centre of the conflicts”.

Besides the move to overthrow Thaksin regime which was adopted by the party at a caucus today, the party also unanimously agreed that it needs a major overhaul with a new initiative to open up the party to allow outsiders to come in and involve in the party’s operations.

Source: http://englishnews.t...-thaksin-regime

--Thai PBS 2013-11-28

• Like 1

Actually the next election is only 19 months away, and Yingluck will only be caretaker-PM, during the run-up.

• Like 1

Given the time when all this started & intensity and considering the current situation China/ Usa ( Senkaku, ending $ accumulation...) could it be that more mighty players are involved and have taken sides...

Cui bono ?

• Like 1

I see the reality very clearly - on both sides of the divide. The reality is that an unelected mob is trying to usurp power by undemocratic extra parliamentary measures. I find that unacceptable. So would you in your country. Why do you find it acceptable over here?

You still fail to see what is going on in reality, despite the dozens of TVF posters who have went out of their way to inform you of reality.

You are just wandering around in your own little world seeing what you want to see, reading what you want to read and thinking what your red Thai family have told you what to think.

Why don't you allow your brain to have a little independence and freedom of thought.

You really are brainwashed.

Don't. Nor did I find the terrorist insurgency in 2010 acceptable. Did you ?

Of course he found it acceptable, his messiah, the convicted criminal, currently a fugitive living o/seas told him it was ok - therefore it must be ok - no need to think for yourself if it was right or wrong - just following along like the rest of the sheep.

Edit to include the following:

".. that unaccountable destiny which leads men to destroy each other for the interests of people who are strangers to them and who often do not even know that they exist." The Three Musketeers, Alexandre Dumas.

Edited by Artisi

"exploitative rents"!!!!

On the Chiang Mai thread you blamed greedy Chinese landlords who I'm sure are mainly red shirts in CM.

Explain what Thaksin has done to control rents. Under his current government, his property-developer sister has persuaded banks to offer 110% mortgages so that her construction company friends can get in and build property across the N and NE that nobody wants. This has pushed values and rents up - it's called market forces. However, don't worry because very soon the banks will discover the property they have mortgaged is valueless because nobody wants it and this will lead to another 97-type crash. Yingluck and her brother will have left the market by then.

You keep blaming the Chinese for the failure of your business. You are in so much denial it's shocking.

Edited by Loaded
  • Like 2

Power grab plain and simple. A power grab that uses Thaksin solely as an excuse or reason to manipulate, rally and incite the masses. They would find a reason to do this regardless who is in power provided it is not them. Then the other side does the same when the grab power.

But I don't think we'd be in this position if the current government had not tried to ram two bills through and then when told it was wrong, said they didn't respect the legal ruling. Right?

The government should be focusing on the needs of the people, not the needs of the few. Or themselves. Corruption or not.

• Like 1

The people don't prefer the Shinawatra's more than anyone else. What they prefer is the populist policies and the money hand outs for their vote.

What they don't realize is that the money they are handed actually comes out of their own pocket and that populist policies are not sustainable in any country.

In simpler term , they are fighting against the rich for the sake of super rich, now that is what you call an irony :) Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

Would be interesting if they got rid of the Shinawatras .. would the rest of the party shoot themselves in the leg before the next elections ? I'd say probably, if I were Abhisit that would be my strategy. Just a superficial cut at first sight, but the infection would take care of the rest.

• Like 1

Power grab plain and simple. A power grab that uses Thaksin solely as an excuse or reason to manipulate, rally and incite the masses. They would find a reason to do this regardless who is in power provided it is not them. Then the other side does the same when the grab power.

But I don't think we'd be in this position if the current government had not tried to ram two bills through and then when told it was wrong, said they didn't respect the legal ruling. Right?

The government should be focusing on the needs of the people, not the needs of the few. Or themselves. Corruption or not.

Didn't they try this last year also? 2008 . . . And will happen again if it works again this time. It is their country to do with as they please, but at least call it what it is and stop making excuses.

Edited by F430murci

I see the reality very clearly - on both sides of the divide. The reality is that an unelected mob is trying to usurp power by undemocratic extra parliamentary measures. I find that unacceptable. So would you in your country. Why do you find it acceptable over here?

Dam_nit, I'm sliding back to principles which makes me a "red apologist" I guess, although I'm not to be because I don't believe Yingaling has done squat and this government needs to go.

However, what was the cause of that 2010 debacle? Track it back to 2006, and you would be correct. 2010 didn't happen in a vacuum, like they woke up one day and decided to torch the city. What we are seeing right now, which is a replay of 2008, is exactly the lead up which caused 2010.

To cherry pick 2010, like a stand-alone incident, is disingenuous.

What we are seeing right now can be tracked back even further to 2001 and an "honest mistake" that was made.

Dam_nit, I'm sliding back to principles which makes me a "red apologist" I guess, although I'm not to be because I don't believe Yingaling has done squat and this government needs to go.

However, what was the cause of that 2010 debacle? Track it back to 2006, and you would be correct. 2010 didn't happen in a vacuum, like they woke up one day and decided to torch the city. What we are seeing right now, which is a replay of 2008, is exactly the lead up which caused 2010.

You are also cherry picking. As some of the most honest and respected thai diplomats have correctly quoted in an article on this site yesterday the root cause goes back to when Thaksin came to power, and he and his wife used their maid and butler to hide their illegal gains from their declarations. If you want to pick the actual day it started it was when the judges under threats from Thaksins mobs ruled he was innocent, a decision that some of those who voted in his favor later admitted was wrong.

• Like 1

right, but these marches and occupations were planned long in advance and they were waiting for the right time to strike, leaders of the yellow shirts are the masterminds, they are the strategists who took counsel, preparing the tactics, this was told me in August, Suthep is pushed to the forefront.

You still fail to see what is going on in reality, despite the dozens of TVF posters who have went out of their way to inform you of reality.

You are just wandering around in your own little world seeing what you want to see, reading what you want to read and thinking what your red Thai family have told you what to think.

Why don't you allow your brain to have a little independence and freedom of thought.

You really are brainwashed.

Why choose 2006 as an arbitrary date? All problems Thaksin stem from the 2001 assets concealment case.

Change is not something welcomed by the establishment or the hordes of poor demanding a better life, and change must be careful, gradual and peaceful. Neither side likes this. One side says, "we do not need change" and the other says "we need change NOW". Both are valid viewpoints, but neither is complete...

Compromise is the basis of all civilization. And only a lack of compromise can make a civilization fail...

History teaches us that all sides must compromise, or all sides will bear the burden of responsibility when a system falls apart.

Unfortunately, history repeats itself much too often.

• Like 1

I wonder whether the Democrat Party's own polls (all political parties do them, and the results are rarely made public), have told them that they are not going to win the next election, and so they have decided that their only option, if they are to get into government, is if Sutheps shenanigans result in an appointed government. After all, even if they manage to get Pheu Thai disqualified through the courts, and therefore form a government " legitimately", they will be out at the next election.

Do away with elections and the road to long term government is a lot more open.

I know that they have said that they will not enter office in an appointed government, but of course that would quickly change "in the interests of the country".

Edited by JAG