One can only hope there are no violent clashes: Thai politics

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
One can only hope there are no violent clashes

Samudcha Hoonsara
The Nation

30220847-01_big.gif

As the year nears its end, people must be getting anxious about the mass rallies at different key spots in the capital and the provinces.

BANGKOK: -- The government keeps heightening security measures as protesters step up their rallies and "civil disobedience" moves. Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra recently held an urgent meeting with the heads of different government agencies, and told them to be ready for anything.

However, with the anti-government camp mounting pressure via unconventional means, such provoking security personnel by rallying near barrier lines; spreading rumours and using the social media and word-of-mouth to mobilise supporters and discredit the opponents, it is getting quite difficult to verify what is reliable and what isn't.

After all, political battles in Thailand appear to have changed a fair bit. Previously, large masses of people did not gather to support politicians, and politicians usually kept their fights limited to a war of words via conventional media, queries in Parliament, censure debates and eventual House dissolution. Also, clashing political rivals knew when to draw the line and form a government.

Since 2006, however, the traditions in Thai politics seem to have changed completely. Now, opposing sides will take opposing views no matter what. For instance, the MPs and senators who backed the charter change related to the election and qualification of senators decided to reject the Constitutional Court's ruling on the matter. Then key protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban announced that he was rejecting the government's rejection of the ruling - a move that can be seen as him rejecting the Constitution itself, which in turn makes him a rebel.

These tit-for-tat measures only seem to stir up more frustration and dissatisfaction among supporters on both sides.

As political observers keep a close eye on the changing situation and each side releases information aimed at legitimising itself, the only end result is more instigation and mobilisation of people.

Though Yingluck has said she is ready to negotiate, there is slim chance that any such negotiation will take place as both sides have taken extreme positions.

Since there is no solution in sight for now, perhaps the best thing to do would be to hope there is no violence either.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-29

• Like 1

Previously, large masses of people did not gather to support politicians, and politicians usually kept their fights limited to a war of words via conventional media, queries in Parliament, censure debates and eventual House dissolution.

This is what is scaring the folk from The Nation. The are suffering from Relevance Deprivation Syndrome.

It is the birthday of His Gracious Majesty The King on 5th December and am sure it will all come to a stop out of respect.

Well, thats nice. You mean this will stop it forever on 5 December? It is a pretty big barrel rolling downhill. I am sure it may pause for a day....

Good news though! I am waiting for the 24(or more) countries to publish that 5 December will be a nice day for traveling through the streets of Bangkok, because everyone will just all of a sudden pull out and go home.

Then key protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban announced that he was rejecting the government's rejection of the ruling - a move that can be seen as him rejecting the Constitution itself, which in turn makes him a rebel.

The coffee isn't working yet. Can somebody explain this to me? I don't follow the logic at all.

• Like 1

This is a possibility, due to the riff raff that accompanies these type of street protests, some are well intentioned but miss guided intentions, to keep everyone under control is near on impossible, so each individual should on both sides carry their colours with pride not disgrace, however having said that the red shirts seem to be up to their old tricks of intimidation.bah.gif

• Like 1

Taksin have mobilizes his "Red Shirt mercenarys", so the circus will start immediatly. Now Yinluck can show, if she can control anything, she should do it. The anti-Government protests are peaceful and legal, because the Government going to undermining the Constitution, and people not agree with the amnesty bill deal for Taksin. The courts failed to stop them. What is the next name of this criminal Organisation? ...Free beer for Thais...clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Let's be honest their is only one way out of this mess and it seems that the moderators won't let it be said on this forum or people don't want to say how they feel. Neither party is worth voting for as they are both full of criminals, not polititions. Sutheps ideas are good but can't work out no peoples government would work. The onle thing is for the army to take over and have a decent person run the country. When I lived in Thailand their was a guy I think his name was something like Anand. He made a comment a few days ago. He did a great job and Thailand needs to find a man like him.

Then key protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban announced that he was rejecting the government's rejection of the ruling - a move that can be seen as him rejecting the Constitution itself, which in turn makes him a rebel.

The coffee isn't working yet. Can somebody explain this to me? I don't follow the logic at all.

Logic!?

This is Thai politics were talking about dear boy biggrin.png

not that a good idea...or did you mean only 'government' offices being closed, not public holidays? for many people less workdays means less money in their packets, so that would not be good for the consumer demand...

Extend the government holidays at the end of the year, kill two birds(idle government workers and slower consumer demand) with one stone

I can see that logic is not your strong point. I just had my coffee.

To review:

The CC made its ruling on the constitutional amendment - legally.

PTP or a large selection of PTP rejected the ruling - an illegal act to reject the (any) court's ruling.

Suthep says he rejects the PTP rejection - i.e. he accepts the court's ruling.

In this case it's not Suthep who is offside, it's the PTP 'rejectionaires'.

Clear?

My fruend went to a rally at democracy monument. Police weren't checking anyone for weapons. He could have brought an Ak-47 and a few grenades in easily.

You have a red-shirt friend who went to the Democracy Monument demo....Is that what you're trying to tell us? whistling.gif

Edited by Rob8891