BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Protests force Thailand to lower interest rate

Protests Force Thailand To Lower Interest Rate
By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- Responding to the signs of the national economy slowing down due to waves of protests in Bangkok, the Bank of Thailand (BOT) has agreed to lower interest rate to 2.25%.

According to Mr. Paiboon Kittisrikangwan, Secretary General of the Monetary Policy Committee, the change was a necessary measure to the political turmoil and the delayed public investment.

The measure is designed to push for future growth as the Thai economy in 2013 performed less than expected because of low price sensitivity and a decline in internal debts, Mr. Paiboon said.

The announcement came after the country is risking delayed public investments and the fading confidence from private sectors regarding the political anxiety.

The BOT also announced its expectation for the kingdom’s GDP for 2013 to stay at 3%, and 4% in 2014.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5UWTFNVEV4T1E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-11-29

cheesy.gif Yeah, that's why they lowered interest rates.

Why do you think they lowered them?

Since when did banks raise or lower Interest rates by protest's! In that case I suggest a counter protest, to raise interest rates!

Hey, I'm all for it. Lower interest rates should mean a weaker Baht.

• Like 2

cheesy.gif Yeah, that's why they lowered interest rates.

Why do you think they lowered them?

No idea. Generally central banks lower interest rates in the hopes that banks will offer cheap loans in order pump money into the system to stimulate the economy. That's why the U.S. does it anyway To blame it on some protestors is pretty hilarious.

What a bizarre comment. The Secretary General of the Monetary Policy Committee didn't 'blame it on some protestors'. He gave reasons why the economy needs stimulating, one of which is the negative economic impact of the protests. This is completely obvious and uncontroversial.

• Like 1

No idea. Generally central banks lower interest rates in the hopes that banks will offer cheap loans in order pump money into the system to stimulate the economy. That's why the U.S. does it anyway To blame it on some protestors is pretty hilarious.

What a bizarre comment. The Secretary General of the Monetary Policy Committee didn't 'blame it on some protestors'. He gave reasons why the economy needs stimulating, one of which is the negative economic impact of the protests. This is completely obvious and uncontroversial.

Did you miss the headline in big bold letters?

Protests Force Thailand To Lower Interest Rate

I think they lowered them because the economy is in recession, the government - and especially Kittirat - are in denial, and it is both easy and politically advantageous to blame someone else.

If not (favourite choice) noxious foreign influences, then anti-government protesters.

They all do this, not just Peua Thai - I feel sure some of the forum's Red Shirt supporters would agree this is the case too.

That makes sense. I just thought outright blaming it on the protests was funny.

• Like 1

I think they lowered them because the economy is in recession, the government - and especially Kittirat - are in denial, and it is both easy and politically advantageous to blame someone else.

If not (favourite choice) noxious foreign influences, then anti-government protesters.

They all do this, not just Peua Thai - I feel sure some of the forum's Red Shirt supporters would agree this is the case too.

Recession is when the GDP falls in two successive quarters.

• Like 1

Exactly - as is the current case.

Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-19/thai-growth-slows-as-scope-for-monetary-stimulus-seen-limited.html

Or of course you can choose to believe Kittirat. White lies may mask the reality - but they don't change it.

Edited by dru2

A recession is when there is negative GDP in two successive quarters. If GDP does not grow as expected, that is not a recession.

re·ces·sion
riˈseSHən/
noun
noun: recession; plural noun: recessions
a period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced, generally identified by a fall in GDP in two successive quarters.
synonyms: economic decline, downturn, depression, slump, slowdown More

A recession is when there is negative GDP in two successive quarters. If GDP does not grow as expected, that is not a recession.

Edited by dru2

Exactly - as is the current case.

Nope.