I'm Quitting !

Kerryd

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 complete month smoke free now !!!! :D (32 days counting today actually)

This has been the easiest experience I've had at quitting. I've even been skipping my Zyban/Quomem without any noticeable effect. I've been enjoying life pretty much as I used to, including drinking in bars until weird hours of the morning. Haven't felt the urge to light up at all.

In fact, when ever someone else does light a cigarette, it instantly reminds me of some of the reasons why I NEEDed to quit in the first place.

I've also saved over 2,500 baht this month alone ! That's more than enough to pay for a visa run each month !

Going to stick that money in a safe place and add to it each month. Just think, if I make it 1 year, that would be a 30,000 baht mad-money bonanza. Could be used for a nice trip somewhere, or some other "luxury" item(s) :o

(so you can compare your situation to mine, I started smoking full-time around age 15, 30 years ago. I averaged a pack (25) a day for most of those 30 years, usually smoking the strongest filtered cigarettes normally available. In recent years, due to a change of jobs and activities, I found myself smoking even more. I've tried to quit twice before (unsuccessfully, obviously). The longest I made it before was 38 days, using a combination of Zyban, Nicorette patches and Nicorette gum. This time, I am using just the Zyban/Quomem, and a stronger commitment to the plan. It's working so far !)

Congrats KerryD - good going! Just don't follow my example over the past week :D

Have updated my blog with the story.

It's not too late ! Take a break away from the bar scene for a few days, or go to non-smoking places.

I keep a supply of Listerine Pocket Packs and Mentos candies handy. I don't have the cravings anymore, but once in awhile I get the feeling that having a smoke would be nice, like a cold coke on a hot day.

That's when the Listerine and Mentos comes in handy. I don't appear to be putting on too much extra weight either (bonus !).

That, and every time you see someone light up, or smell a cigarette, remind yourself why you NEEDED to quit in the first place. Think about the coughing fits, the bad breathe, smelly clothes and other bad things about smoking.

I go to the bars quite often. First thing I do when I sit down is get rid of the ashtray, then put a pack of Mentos candy on the table (the girls like it too, they are all candy junkies, if you are buying it :o )

When someone lights up near me, I start thinking about that list of reasons why I NEEDED to quit, and then maybe pop a candy or Listerine strip. So far so good !

Keep trying. This is the 3rd time I've quit. It seems to be a lot easier this time. Just keep reminding yourself why you NEED to quit. Fight the urge ! You can do it !!!!

^ Cheers Kerry - all good advice. Haven't lit up today, and have got no plans to. Going to the gym for the first time in a week - will be interesting to see how that 5km run feels after a week of smokes.

Regardless of bar closing hours, I'll be watching tomorrows England game from home if I do decide to watch it.

• 2 weeks later...

43 days smoke free today ! (Honestly ! Jing Jing ! Mai Gohok !)

I've had the desire to light up on ocassion, but not the craving, and have been able to resist quite easily.

The longest I went in my previous attempts was 38 days, so everyday now is a record-breaker.

I'm still surprised at how easy it is going, considering I have little to do all day, and still go to various "establishments" where drinking and smoking (and sweet, innocent farm girls from Isaan) are quite common. :o

Things would feel much better if I wasn't fighting a cold right now. Kinda pissin' me off, as it seems my health has gotten worse since I quit. :D

This cold is pissin' me off to. I was fine Monday afternoon. Went to visit the current soon-to-be-ex at her friends place. Had a nap on a couch at her friends place, no problem. Couple hours later, I started getting a wet cough. Went home at midnight with a full-blown, chest-ripping hack. From feeling fine to wishing I was dead in 6 hours ? Not impressed. I was hoping it would go away just as quick as it hit, but no such luck. :D

• 2 weeks later...

ive actually stated this week on tuesday.

Im on the nicotine gum, i have cheated and ive had about 3 smokes a day. But i guess its better then my 15-20 a day.

Hopefully next week im going to try have no cigg's and i might get the nicorette inhaler because the gum just doesnt do it for me.

Been smoking for about 10 years up to 2+ packs a day and have been wanting to quit for a long time. It was however the combined posts of Kerryd, George and especially Tuky's (though different habit - but a powerful message) that just told me to do it. Had purchased the Nicorette inhalers probably 6-7 months ago and just kept putting off stopping. Used the Zyban method a few years ago but the side effects (for me) were significant and just couldn't take them anymore.

This time I just stopped completely, cleaned up the rooms (both office and home), tossed all ash trays and other reminders, and just puff on the Nicorette when I feel the urge. Strange thing is that I haven't felt any discomfort or missing the cigs at all. No panic attacks or urges. Seems these inhalers work well in that it keeps my hands busy when I'm in a situation where I would normally light up (such as reading TV).

Down to only using about 2 cartridges a day now but was never more then 6, where they recommend a max of 12 cartridges a day. Last day was June 21st, little over 2-weeks now.

Problem is that I seem to be having pretty significant light-headiness and don't know if it is the result of stopping or something else. Plan to get a full physical soon to check out what it may be and if I can start exercising safely.

If not for the courage of other members here I would probably still be puffing away. Think my mini-mart lady may not be too happy, she automatically puts out a carton when she sees me coming and I had to tell her no more. :o

For Donz, I found the inhalers to work very well for me due to the satisfaction of both something in my hand and a nicotene hit when needed. I ordered them from the UK some time ago but they are expensive, but cheaper then Zyban.

I will buy the inhalers tomorrow i think, the gum tastes like crap and gives me a sore throat, I think the inhalers will work better because it still gives the hand action like the cigs

One of the most curious things about quitting is the psychological effects – the whole reasoning behind lighting one up. I did say originally that I enjoyed going outside for a smoke during office hours as it broke up the day and gave me time to think. Now I think that it was a hindrance stuttering my daily workload.

BTW, I’ve started smoking again and I hate it. Trying to keep it to 3-4 during the daytime, but of an evening it’s been almost levelling out at 20 a day. Absolutely gutted considering the initial effort I put in. I’m going to quit next week, and I’m promising myself that I’ll never relapse again.

Today is day 52 without cigarettes !

There have been a few days when I thought about having a smoke (not needing one, just wanting one).

Fortunately, it is easy to control those urges and they pass pretty quickly. At worst, all I've had to do is pop a Mentos candy or Listerine "Pocket-Pak" strip.

I remind myself that I've quit. I'm feeling better, smell better and am far better off by not smoking. I remind myself that if I start again, I'll end up like before. Coughing fits all day. Clothes/hair/apartment smelling of stale smoke. Knowing what other people smell when I walk in or talk to them.

The money I've saved isn't a major factor (yet). Only works out to about 4,800 baht so far (in less than 2 months). Still, after a year, it should be about 33,000 baht !! :o

Nice little chunk of change to spend on some luxury (maybe a nice flat-screen TV ?).

I still think the reason I've been successful this time, is the change in attitude. Before, I wanted to quit.

Now I look at is as "I NEED to quit" !

Big difference between want and need.

I know a few people that quit when they realised their lives depended on it (usually happens right after their first heart attack). They realise that they NEED to quit, or they will die.

I decided I NEEDED to quit, before having a heart attack.

I know it isn't easy. This is the 4th time I've quit. I've made it longer this time than the previous 3 attempts put together.

I used the Zyban, some ordinary candy, a notepad and a different motivation this time that seems to be paying off.

I'm trying once again to stop smoking after many failed attempts. I have stopped smoking at home altogether. But have found when i go out i light up. So this weekend since its a 4 day weekend i have decided to hole up in my apartment and not go out drinking or smoking. Its only been 2 days. But i'm determined to stop smoking and cut down my drinking. Wish me luck.

I'm sort of doing the same thing. I'm not a heavy smoker by anyone's definition, but I tend to social smoke when I drink. I had finally given that up, and got to the point where I could drink without smoking. But not after one too many beers, I'm afraid.

I started smoking again late last month, and am now suffering the effects. One thing that I've noticed: every time you start and stop, the withdrawl effects seem to get worse.

That is a very big reason not to start up again. But, if you did it once, you can do it again. And it gets even more unpleasant every time you start and stop again.

That is a very big reason not to start up again. But, if you did it once, you can do it again. And it gets even more unpleasant every time you start and stop again.

Possibly because if you start/stop smoking and then do it again fairly soon thereafter, the memory of the previous experience os still fresh in your mind. While you are going through the initial withdrawals, you are remembering the pangs from the previous withdrawals and that makes it seem even worse this time around.

Also, if you stop, then start, then stop again all in a short period, your body just starts to clear the poisons out when it gets flooded with them again, then starved of them again. Screws up the natural rhythm.

I think the Zyban really helped. I was able to resist the urge to smoke even when I was in a smokey bar and drinking alot. Had the Mentos candies as well.

55 days smoke-free as of today !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good for you, Kerryd. How are you doing?

I've stopped smoking myself, after a few attempts over the years. Cold-turkey.

It has been only a week so far. I think I'm going to come in this subforum more often from now on for inspiration and support. I've been cutting down my drinking too, so it seems like a huge effort for me.

I'm wondering how Jockstar, Insight and kat are doing. :o

Good for you, Kerryd. How are you doing?

Hiya LC ! :D

I'm doing pretty good. 68 days so far !

It's not easy, especially the first couple of days. It does get easier over time, especially if you can break the habits.

I still find myself wanting (but not needing) a smoke now and then. I find that having some candy (like those Mentos candies) really helps.

No weight gain either ! I weigh almost exactly the same as when I quit (80 kilos :D ). Weighed myself after supper last night in fact.

Can't give in to temptation. Especially when you are drinking :D

When I go to a bar/club now, I will often sit down, order my drink and then plop a roll of Mentos on the table (and/or a packet of those Listerine Breathe strips). I sometimes have to fight the girls for the candies though, so I usually carry a second stick in my pocket.

I keep repeating it, but I really think the reason I've been able to quit so easily this time, is the change in attitude about it.

Feeling that you need to quit makes it much easier than merely wanting to quit.

Whenever you get tempted to have a cigarette, remind yourself of the reasons you NEED to quit, and not start again.

Your health is (should be) prime reason #1. The sooner you quit, the sooner the body can start healing. The sooner you quit, the sooner you start reducing the risk of developing cancer.

There are other, lessor reasons to quit as well. I do find it nice to come home and not smell stale cigarette smoke when I open the door. It's nice to not have to deal with dirty ashtrays and cigarette butts anymore.

And I've saved over 6,000 baht so far !

Hmmmmmm, if only I had a girlfriend to spend that on................ :o

I'm wondering how Jockstar, Insight and kat are doing

In one word. Shit. I dont smoke at home anymore. Have a few at work and thats all. Unless i'm out on the piss. Then its like nearly a pack. But slowly getting there. I think when i get to OZ. If i am still smoking. It will be easier. Too expensive etc :o

Hiya LC ! :D

I'm doing pretty good. 68 days so far !

I still find myself wanting (but not needing) a smoke now and then. I find that having some candy (like those Mentos candies) really helps.

That's fantastic. Good job! :D

I am actually feeling the same - wanting to smoke sometimes, but not needing. I like that Mentos idea. That should help me a lot.

I have a couple of reasons to quit this time. One of them is about health. I should have quit a few years ago. But better than never, I guess. :D

Hmmmmmm, if only I had a girlfriend to spend that on................ :o

That's not bad. Anyway, living in Pattaya, I'm sure you'll find one way or another to spend it. :D

In one word. Shit. I dont smoke at home anymore. Have a few at work and thats all. Unless i'm out on the piss. Then its like nearly a pack. But slowly getting there. I think when i get to OZ. If i am still smoking. It will be easier. Too expensive etc :D

It's a good start anyway, my fellow piss 'ead.

Too expensive etc :D

Bloody typical Jock. :D

But good luck, mate. You can do it. :D

Hmmmmmm, if only I had a girlfriend to spend that on................ :D

That's not bad. Anyway, living in Pattaya, I'm sure you'll find one way or another to spend it. :D

I guess my hint was a little too subtle ? :o

No worries. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere............ :D

I'm wondering how Jockstar, Insight and kat are doing

In one word. Shit. I dont smoke at home anymore. Have a few at work and thats all. Unless i'm out on the piss. Then its like nearly a pack. But slowly getting there. I think when i get to OZ. If i am still smoking. It will be easier. Too expensive etc :o

Pretty crap here also. Went 3 days without but Friday evening out on the town was a bit too much. Lit up 3 that evening, 4 last night and I've smoked 5 this evening while having a few beers with a few mates. Having another go at cold turkey starting tomorrow - teasing myself like this isn't worth it.

If you've done 5 days cold turkey you're through the worst LC. Kindly stick at it from here on - it really does get easier.

Having another go at cold turkey starting tomorrow - teasing myself like this isn't worth it.

That's so true. Good luck! :o

If you've done 5 days cold turkey you're through the worst LC. Kindly stick at it from here on - it really does get easier.

I think having never been really a heavy smoker helps. I really hope I can stop completely this time round. :D

I think having never been really a heavy smoker helps. I really hope I can stop completely this time round. :D

Think little things.

Like walking into your apartment and NOT smelling stale cigarette smoke.

Like noticing the breath of a smoker the next time you talk to one (and knowing that you own breath smells like that when you smoke) :o

(you will also notice you can smell the smoke clinging to their hair and clothing)

Like seeing/hearing a smoker coughing up a lung after lighting another cigarette.

You may even notice (if you pay attention to it) that you sense of smell and taste has improved.

I never really noticed it, until I realized that I wasn't enjoying the Mentos "Sour Fruit" candies as much, because they were too tangy now. I used to enjoy them when I was smoking, and used them to try and disguise my breath.

My "friends" didn't really like them because of the sour "tang", which I found to be kind of mild. Until I quit.

Now I don't buy those "Sour Fruit" ones anymore.

I find that the desire to have a smoke seems to relate to the taste in my mouth at the time. It seems to be a stronger desire when my mouth tastes "yucky" (like first thing in the morning, if you get up and have a coffee before brushing your teeth). :D

Can't be brushing my teeth 28 times a day though. That's where the candies come in handy. It changes the "taste" in my mouth, and suddenly I no longer "desire" a cigarette, even when drinking.

Remember, you don't want to quit smoking.

You NEED to quit smoking ! :D

Think little things.

(you will also notice you can smell the smoke clinging to their hair and clothing)

Yeah, I start to smell it on MY hair and clothes after a night out in the pub. And I can't sleep until I take a good shower and wash my hair. I could put up with all that when I was smoking. :o

Remember, you don't want to quit smoking.

You NEED to quit smoking ! :D

Yes, I NEED to quit now. I ain't getting any younger, and ain't gonna get a chance to get a lot older if I didn't stop! :D

Yes, I NEED to quit now. I ain't getting any younger, and ain't gonna get a chance to get a lot older if I didn't stop! :D

Exactly !

And just think of the money you'll save !

Now if only you had someone to spend that money on............................... :o

:D

Exactly !

Now if only you had someone to spend that money on............................... :o

:D:D:D

Yeah, if only I had someone to spend that money on. Maybe I should start looking for one. :D

(See, I ain't too thick this time. :D )

Exactly !

:D:D:D

Yeah, if only I had someone to spend that money on. Maybe I should start looking for one. :D

(See, I ain't too thick this time. :D )

Much better !

Maybe quitting smoking also increases your brain power ! :D

Oh, the future is definitely bright. Literally! :o

It gets brighter !

When you coming down to Pattaya again ? Which reminds me, wasn't there suppoed to be a get-together/good-bye for britmaveric and daleyboy in Bkk ?