Tyre pressure

JaiLai

I run my tires 6 - 8 PSI below the max, with a bit of adjustment up or down to suit the ride characteristics. Between Thailand and USA I have a Toyota PreRunner DoubleCab, a Chevrolet Silverado CrewCab 4x4, and a Jeep Wrangler. Each vehicle likes a different amount of departure from the maximum pressure. None of the vehicles has original equipment tires, so the manufacturer's recommendations are not really applicable.

I have never experienced any problems with rain traction running at or near max pressures. I do lower the Silverado by 3-4 PSI for winter driving. The Jeep I lower about the same amount, but I tend to run lower pressures on that one generally, due to the limited amount of highway driving.

I find the ride of my vehicles to be too soft and bouncy at the lower pressures. But that is a personal preference.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

6-8 psi below what max. The max on the tyre wall means nothing except max safety pressure for that tyre, nothing to do with the recommended pressure for a given ride.

I've got a MU-7 which my father-in-law used to insist should be 30PSI all round but the car handled like a water bed. In my Cayenne at home the recommend PSI was around 36 front and 43 rear. I tried this on the Isuzu and it was bouncing around like a giant space hopper. I'm happiest at 35 all round, still feels like a boat though.

Everyone has a different idea, even Isuzu say it depends what you are carrying. I think really it's down to personal preference, but, and I haven't looked (it's dark), I believe the maximum load is about 60 on the tyres, wouldn't try it though.

SDM

I run my tires 6 - 8 PSI below the max, with a bit of adjustment up or down to suit the ride characteristics. Between Thailand and USA I have a Toyota PreRunner DoubleCab, a Chevrolet Silverado CrewCab 4x4, and a Jeep Wrangler. Each vehicle likes a different amount of departure from the maximum pressure. None of the vehicles has original equipment tires, so the manufacturer's recommendations are not really applicable.

I have never experienced any problems with rain traction running at or near max pressures. I do lower the Silverado by 3-4 PSI for winter driving. The Jeep I lower about the same amount, but I tend to run lower pressures on that one generally, due to the limited amount of highway driving.

I find the ride of my vehicles to be too soft and bouncy at the lower pressures. But that is a personal preference.

6-8 psi below what max. The max on the tyre wall means nothing except max safety pressure for that tyre, nothing to do with the recommended pressure for a given ride.

6 - 8 PSI below the max pressure 'stamped' on the sidewall. I understand that is the maximum safe PSI...I drop down some from that and adjust from there.

If I start at the 32 PSI that seems to be 'standard' I end up adding more air to get the ride and handling I prefer.

• Like 1

I find the ride of my vehicles to be too soft and bouncy at the lower pressures.

How can a vehicle be too soft and too bouncy at the same time.

When pressure is too low it rides soft, when pressure is too high it's bouncy.

If you consider those terms to be mutually exclusive, I do not. By bouncy I mean that because of the low pressure the tires are softer and compress more, and therefore rebound more...bouncy.

The ride you the from the air pressure being too high, I would describe as "stiff".

I find the ride of my vehicles to be too soft and bouncy at the lower pressures.

How can a vehicle be too soft and too bouncy at the same time.

When pressure is too low it rides soft, when pressure is too high it's bouncy.

I tend to agree. I experimented (as most here know whistling.gif ) with my 4x4 Vigo pressures, advised pressures 29psi all round even when loaded. In the end I settled on 30 rear and 32 front. IF, I went a few lb's over that the ride turned into a bouncy castle laugh.png, terrible ride.