Korat Zoo

gk10002000

Last week I spent two days in Korat as I was traveling around. I managed to get down to the zoo via a motorbike taxi for 150 baht. I couldn't figure out how else to do it despite asking around. Anyway, the bike ride was fine and scenic.

At the zoo I paid the 100 baht admission then 20 baht for the little tram ride that takes you around the zoo. The tram was full of about 50 or 60 school kids! They were funny. I was the only falang on the tram. I think the kids spent more time looking at me than at the zoo exhibits! Some of the kids did talk, although they were very reluctant to use any english. I asked a few how they were in Thai, what their names were, etc. I told them I was from America and that I was an engineer. I spoke with two of their teachers. They were from Sisaket. Later when I got off the tram to walk around on my own they all waved bye bye. I thought it was funny. The zoo was pretty good. Certainly worth 100 baht if you are in the area.

I did go to the big mall. I found the people there to be very friendly. I chatted up with some of the girls working at the pizza place.

Hotel wise, I didn't like Korat. While there were some ok priced hotels, the quality was not what I was looking for. I only stayed 2 nights then left.

Great Post.

Whenever we visit Korat we stay at the Korat Resort, basically turning left out of the Zoo gate, not right to head into the city, and a few km along that road. Excellent hotel, pool, small gym, good food .. inexpensive!

Like the OP, we are not big fans of the city itself.

I've been two or three times with my son and wife, always a nice day out, but getting expensive now he wants to spend half the day on the motorcycle/boat/go kart rides :)

As said above, not a world class zoo, but a pleasant one, I would recommend it to anyone.

Welcome to the Khorat area!

The zoo is a pretty good one.

I've been there a few times and see new things every time I go.

There is also a pretty nice little water park there with a food court.

The people in the area are friendly to farangs.

I don't think they have met many rude ones yet!

There are also some decent ,fair priced hotels in town.

Check on the internet before you come next time.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit!

I'll attach a couple of photos from the zoo.

Enjoy!

"I am the monkey on the left."post-147745-0-95753600-1385881835_thumb.

I call this one " Faster, faster!"post-147745-0-88514100-1385881921_thumb.

"Some good humps?"post-147745-0-27534200-1385882013_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii

Been to the zoo sevral times over many years, makes for a good trip out for the family and kids. The last highlight was hand feeding the Giraffes.

The water park is right next door, in the same complex. It too, is well worth it for the young ones. Can get a bit busy with school trips, but it is big enough to enjoy all the same.

Only ever stayed at one hotel in Korat (have a house there now), this was the Sima Thani Hotel on the entrance to the city if coming in from Bangkok. Was quite a long time ago though, but was quite good.

If you get the chance, visit Khao Yai National Park and Phimai.

Cheers