Bangkok Immigration opens temporary office: Announcement

I kinda hope everybody takes this as Imperial is the way to go and there will be less crowds at Chaeng Watthana than usual. Every year its a tiring full day trip with 5 hours wait to apply for visa extension.. and now with mob outside i would probably have to plan sleepover right there. Visa extension is my most hated day of the year.. just thinking about the ridiculous 'fresh' pics we have to bring every year, with all family member must be in the pic and housenumber in the back, second on the sofa inside

Arr, the the wonders and enjoyment of owning a motorcycle.. Hope the mob doesn't drag me off "Funny" my little Honda, though.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telephone numbers for temporary office:

Section Telephone No.

Non Immigrant - Visa ( B Extension Section (งานขออยู่ต่อประเภทธุรกิจ)

084-3666877

Non Immigrant - Visa (O) Extension Section (งานขออยู่ต่อประเภททั่วไป)

089-9807121

Official, ED, Sec.15 Visa Extension Section (งานขออยู่ต่อประเภทราชการ)

089-8153120

Tourist Visa Extension Section (งานขออยู่ต่อประเภทท่องเที่ยว)

081-9166226

Transit, Without Visa, Visa on Arrival Extension Sction (งานขออยู่ต่อประเภทอื่นๆ)

086-3166196

legalized special Labor of Laos, Cambodia and Mynmar (แรงงานต่างด้าว 3 สัญชาติ)

084-5588229

Re-entry Permit Section (งานขออนุญาตกลับเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักรอีก)

086-4452459

Visa Issuing & Change type of visa Section (งานขอรับและเปลี่ยนประเภทการตรวจลงตรา)

089-7776111

Resident Permit Section (งานขอมีถิ่นที่อยู่)

081-4414055

Residence Certificated Issuing Section (งานใบสำคัญถิ่นที่อยู่)

083-5566599

Alien registration Section (งานทะเบียนคนต่างด้าว)

087-4956691

I attended the discussed Temporary Immigration office this morning to have my visa transfered to a new Passport. Teeming with Cambodian/Myanmar bodies doing whatever they need to do, but I was in and out, mission complete within 30 minutes! Best Immigration office visit....EVER!....As with any immigration visit, just be sure to have photocopies of every relevent document before you go.

I went this morning. I arrived just before 10.30, but ti already looked like it had been open for a while. It looks quite chaotic at first, but there is order in the chaos. The different things are marked on the wall. So I went to line L for retirement extension. Waited about 5-10 mins for all documents to be checked. Woman stapled them all together and gave me a queue ticket. There were about 15 in front of me for visa extensions. Took about 90 mins. Handed paperwork in at counter (standing up, no desk), woman checked through and handed to another person to check again and add stamp. Different queues for everything are clearly marked and the numbers come up on an electronic screen. The immigration officers were working very hard and having lunch at their desks while they worked through the lunch break. They deserve a big thank you. Seems to be much less busy by the time I left, so I think it would be much quick to go in the afternoon. From Lad Prao MRT, take exit 3 and then a taxi - 70 baht. All over for another year.

• Like 1

I was there in the afternoon for 90 day reporting.

Totally chaotic, a noisy red mob nearby, hordes of Myanmar / Khmer people being shoved around, no place to fill the forms (people sit on the floors), waiting time 2-3 hours as there were only 2 counters for 90 DR.

Avoid it by all means. The most unpleasant immigration visit so far. Maybe worse because of the holiday tomorrow.

Before that, I tried to figure out if Chaeng Wattana was open or not. Could not get any information at any of the phone numbers or immigration website. Why they cannot deliver even some minimum service to the farangs here?

Totally chaotic, a noisy red mob nearby, hordes of Myanmar / Khmer people being shoved around, no place to fill the forms (people sit on the floors), waiting time 2-3 hours as there were only 2 counters for 90 DR.

Avoid it by all means. The most unpleasant immigration visit so far. Maybe worse because of the holiday tomorrow.

Before that, I tried to figure out if Chaeng Wattana was open or not. Could not get any information at any of the phone numbers or immigration website. Why they cannot deliver even some minimum service to the farangs here?

I think the immigration people are doing an excellent job under very difficult circumstances. I wonder how you'd cope under these circumstances. It's not all about you. When I was there, there was a man with a megaphone who spoke a few times to apologize for the delays. The staff are working extremely hard.

Maybe you should have made it easier for them by reporting by post. But you chose to add to the numbers when there was no need.

I think the immigration people are doing an excellent job under very difficult circumstances. I wonder how you'd cope under these circumstances. It's not all about you. When I was there, there was a man with a megaphone who spoke a few times to apologize for the delays. The staff are working extremely hard.

Maybe you should have made it easier for them by reporting by post. But you chose to add to the numbers when there was no need.

Of course, farang is wrong. How could i forget that?

Did you ever think about that answering the phone or making a note at the website would make our lives much easier?

And yes, i saw the guy with the megaphone on a power trip. Made the quietly and well behaved Myanmar folks sit on the floor while they were queuing standing. In a very rude way.

@davejones

Immigration could make things a lot easier for themselves by requiring long-term expats (with one-year visa extensions) to report their address only once a year -- since that group is not likely to be moving around a lot.

Besides, at the one-year extension visit you are asked to provide your cell phone number.

So I am not impressed if they process the 90-day folk efficiently.

Don't lose sight of what the 90-day report is really about.

@davejones

Immigration could make things a lot easier for themselves by requiring long-term expats (with one-year visa extensions) to report their address only once a year -- since that group is not likely to be moving around a lot.

Besides, at the one-year extension visit you are asked to provide your cell phone number.

So I am not impressed if they process the 90-day folk efficiently.

Don't lose sight of what the 90-day report is really about.

I agree with you, but no need to shout.

In my earlier post I was commenting on the difficult situation that staff are in at the moment. Probably they would also like to do away with the 90-day report. I think the wrong people are being blamed. Blame the decision makers if you want, but don't blame the staff that are working very hard at the moment. It's a difficult time for them as well. Seems like some farangs on this forum think the world should revolve around them. Take some time to see things from the other side instead of all this me, me, me attitude.

In any case, for people in Bangkok a 90-day report is supper easy. A few photocopies, two envelopes, two stamps and a few minutes and it's done. Yes, it would be great with out it, but surely most people have a few minutes to spare every 3 months.

Disagree if you want, but that's how I see it.

• Like 1

In any case, for people in Bangkok a 90-day report is supper easy. A few photocopies, two envelopes, two stamps and a few minutes and it's done. Yes, it would be great with out it, but surely most people have a few minutes to spare every 3 months.

You may believe it is super easy, but being a bit more realistic, it is quite a risk trusting the postal system here or trusting that they just don't lose it even if it arrives at immigration.

And because of that, I would not recommend to do it by post. Even if some of you have no problem.

Remember: if something goes wrong, it is the farang's fault!

There has been a few mentions here that CW was "closed" and that IO's from CW had been seconded to LP...

There is also mention on the Immigration website advising people to use LP.

There's also advice here to get there early, those who have done so have been home in time for lunch...

Heed the warnings here or not, up to you, but hardly fair to be ranting about the process given the situation.

Yes, the 90 Day TR is cumbersome, but that's how it works, if you don't like it, find an alternate means in which to do it. Plenty out there.

I'm hoping that CW is up and processing ASAP, I found LP quite creepy given its other residents..

You may believe it is super easy, but being a bit more realistic, it is quite a risk trusting the postal system here or trusting that they just don't lose it even if it arrives at immigration.

And because of that, I would not recommend to do it by post. Even if some of you have no problem.

It's no wonder you get blamed with an attitude like that. Good luck.

That is why you report by registered mail, so you have proof it was send (and received).

With all the reports they receive reports do get lost, but with proof of sending it, it is not a problem.

Interesting news, and looking for confirmation I found it here:

...The news conference was held at the red-shirt movement's office at the Imperial World department store's Lat Phrao branch...

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Red-shirts-want-foreign-observers-at-leaders-trial-30145794.html

I was going to post this, but you guys beat me to it.

I live right behind Imperial Lad Prao. It is my normal go-to shopping center and Big C.

I can absolutely confirm as above. I've never been into the immigration office there since it is quite new and primarily for the three neighboring Asian countries, but the rest of the fifth floor is indeed Red HQ, and it is kinda creepy. Definitely do not wear a yellow shirt or any other "colors" if you are coming here.

On a brighter note- if you want a good cup of coffee served by cute girls, go to the coffee bar on the second floor that is closest to the "rock climbing" tower that reaches up from the ground floor mezzanine.

And as mentioned, Lad Prao MRT is the nearest station. About 5 clicks from the station to Imperial Lad Prao. Tell the cab driver "Big C Lad Prao". They all know it as that. Don't use Imperial World. They won't understand unless you use the Thai phonetic "Imperion Lad Prao".

Good tip. I had a coffee there today.

There has been a few mentions here that CW was "closed" and that IO's from CW had been seconded to LP...

That was during the mob occupation. The mob has since moved and there is actually no reason why Chaeng Wattana should not be open. There wasn't any damage done there.

Why can't they make some automatic announcement on the phone or on the internet if and until when it is closed? I'm not even sure it wasn't actually open today. I just did not want to try out.

That is why you report by registered mail, so you have proof it was send (and received).

With all the reports they receive reports do get lost, but with proof of sending it, it is not a problem.

Yep Mario, but you stay here longer than many of us, and I believe you can understand that some of us just don't want to come into a situation where we have to "prove" something when the officer claims you didn't do the reporting.

There are many other more serious cases where a farang has "proof" for something and it does not always have a happy ending. Why take the risk? The reporting at CW wasn't actually that much of a nuisance and indeed quite efficient.

Today at LP they just didn't move their staff there, it was understaffed as I have reported above. Try to avoid it if possible, postpone your visa/reporting if your time frame allows. That's my advice.

Yep Mario, but you stay here longer than many of us, and I believe you can understand that some of us just don't want to come into a situation where we have to "prove" something when the officer claims you didn't do the reporting.

There are many other more serious cases where a farang has "proof" for something and it does not always have a happy ending. Why take the risk? The reporting at CW wasn't actually that much of a nuisance and indeed quite efficient.

Today at LP they just didn't move their staff there, it was understaffed as I have reported above. Try to avoid it if possible, postpone your visa/reporting if your time frame allows. That's my advice.

I do understand you don't want to get into that situation.

But reports from people that have been in that situation have been that it is no problem. Just show them the slip for sending by registered mail or EMS and they will take care of it.

As in every country there are some rotten apples, but I general I always have found they do a decent job and try to help you. Sometimes I forgot a document and could just send it the next day by mail, in the mean time extension approved.

• Like 1

That was during the mob occupation. The mob has since moved and there is actually no reason why Chaeng Wattana should not be open. There wasn't any damage done there.

Why can't they make some automatic announcement on the phone  or on the internet if and until when it is closed? I'm not even sure it wasn't actually open today. I just did not want to try out.

Yes it was initially due to the "mob occupation" however their website still advises to attend LP for immigration concerns, irrespective of the current situation - I believe they're actually still "occupying" the Government Complex - if that's the advice, it's best advised to take it.

As I mentioned before, there's also anecdotal evidence that suggests to get there early to avoid potentially lengthy delays. I can assure you of that. I was there myself on Monday and have mentioned it at least twice.

You've - seemingly - chosen to go after the aforementioned times advised and suffered the frustration that this advice gave in order to potentially avoid.

You could have done a quick trip across a border and been back the same day, time taken probably would have been the same - cost a bit more though - but avoided the queues, value of time & money and all that.

And how do you suggest they make an announcement on their website and hotline, when, in all fairness the situation is far from stable?

It's not ideal, I'd even go so far as saying they should open Suan Plu and the One Stop Shop to cope with the influx.

But they made a choice and we have to adapt to it.

• Like 1

Yes, I wish they'd open Suan Plu or Chamchuri Square.

I think CW is still occupied and they want to wait until everything is calm before switching back. If they switched back to CW today then had to switch back to LP on Friday if things kick off again, many would be complaining. They can't go changing every day. They need to stay in one place until everything is properly resolved. I don't see what else they could do.The website says to go to LP, so I don't see what the issue is. Many have reported that they've been and had an ok time. You can't please all the people all the time. Whatever you do, some angry farang will complain about something or other. Meanwhile, all the other farangs just get on with it.

I would rather have not gone, but I did.Sorted everything, had a coffee, and had a look around an area I've never been to. So a good day all in all.

The apologists here may have had their best time of the year, including some great coffee.

But most farangs I saw were rather stressed. Many did their visa works, and I was glad i had only the reporting.

Therefore: if you can, avoid Lad Prao. Or at least bring your ice skating stuff for the waiting time at the floor below.

Why can't they make some automatic announcement on the phone or on the internet if and until when it is closed? I'm not even sure it wasn't actually open today. I just did not want to try out.

thx for your confirmation, that the democrats & demonstrators did NOT ANY damage there. but why do you call them "the mob"? just mobbing a bit yourself?

the immigration just wanted to protect our beloved farangs by getting them out of any danger zone into a safer place. why do you complain? just niggling again?

Edited by haroldcane

Went to Big C Ladprao this morning. For those who have been forced to go there due to the CW closure, there are no signs directing you to immigration, at least that i could see. I was a newbie and just followed others. You just go into the shopping center, find the elevators to the 5th floor, turn left out of the elevators, go straight, turn right into the parking deck, then left turn into immigration. I got there at 9:30 an hour before they opened and there was already at least 150 people there already for various reasons.

As someone posted before, you wait outside in the parking lot in one line to write your name on the cue sheet, then when they are ready to open the office they will call your number and start lining you up to go inside. Felt like mustering up from my old Navy days. When it opens you go single file into the building, grab whatever forms you might need and take a cue number. There were enough English speaking staff there, despite the hoards of people. It was relatively orderly despite what they have to endure, and I was out of there in just under 2 hours after they opened.

In my opinion, they were really professional and were doing a great job despite all the masses of people. Hopefully the Ladprao staff will get a reprieve when CW opens again. They have earned it!

post-57363-0-23017000-1386309715_thumb.j

post-57363-0-73056000-1386309769_thumb.j

I went to Ladprao this morning. Overall, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The whole process was about an hour and a quarter. I took other posters advice and went there early. I got there about 9.35 a.m. I didn't have to wait in the car park area when i arrived, just walked straight in. It was already busy with several hundred people inside. Went to the main desk where they issue you the relevant form for your visa and showed my passport and photocopies. They said i needed one more copy of some of my stamps and directed me to the photocopying area. Queued for 10 minutes to get this then returned to main desk. They check your form, PP and documents then issue you with a numbered ticket and then you go through to a waiting room with lots of counters. You have to wait till 10.30 a.m before they start to process applications. I waited about 1/2 an hour for this and my number to arrive, paid the visa fee then had my PP returned in about 10 minutes. They seemed to be trying hard to assist in obviously a difficult situation.

I saw someone later wandering around the plaza looking for somewhere to get a photograph. Get this sorted in advance because I presume there's no photo facilities in the office. I later spotted one downstairs in the basement area if you need to get one but i would advise doing it before you go to get finished a lot quicker. It started to get much busier while i was waiting to be served, so again i would definitely suggest going early.

Yes went there today, for 1 year retirement extension and re-entry visa.

Took 4 hours, very slow, SO many people there.

And the NUMBER machines were not working properly.

Caused CHAOS, was waiting for my number and suddenly the numbers did not change for over 15 minutes.

Then i noticed a guy at the counter that i knew came after me.

After i complained to the lady she said i could go next.

Same thing happened when i did the re-entry visa.

Will never complain about the Government Complex again, except for getting there.

I went to Ladprao this morning. Overall, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The whole process was about an hour and a quarter. I took other posters advice and went there early. I got there about 9.35 a.m. I didn't have to wait in the car park area when i arrived, just walked straight in. It was already busy with several hundred people inside. Went to the main desk where they issue you the relevant form for your visa and showed my passport and photocopies. They said i needed one more copy of some of my stamps and directed me to the photocopying area. Queued for 10 minutes to get this then returned to main desk. They check your form, PP and documents then issue you with a numbered ticket and then you go through to a waiting room with lots of counters. You have to wait till 10.30 a.m before they start to process applications. I waited about 1/2 an hour for this and my number to arrive, paid the visa fee then had my PP returned in about 10 minutes. They seemed to be trying hard to assist in obviously a difficult situation.

I saw someone later wandering around the plaza looking for somewhere to get a photograph. Get this sorted in advance because I presume there's no photo facilities in the office. I later spotted one downstairs in the basement area if you need to get one but i would advise doing it before you go to get finished a lot quicker. It started to get much busier while i was waiting to be served, so again i would definitely suggest going early.

I read on Thai Visa that it opened at 10.30am.

People complain at Twitter too about the mess there.

Chaeng Wattana has only very few "protesters" in the big hall, mostly bored house wives. Would be no problem to reopen. Where are all the officers gone? They certainly can't be all at Lad Prao.

If you happen to be at Lad Prao these days, take a look at the red TV station, you can also buy red t-shirts and calendars "Thaksin and Yingluck 2014". Lots of photoshopped propaganda posters with lots of blood too.

Otherwise, do some skating at the arena below. This is probably the only immigration in the world with an attached ice skating arena.