Young, Scottish and an aspiration of living with monks.

DestinedTravel

We have a Scottish monk at our temple... Graham Ross

https://www.facebook.com/TempleStayThailand

http://www.templeretreatthailand.com/

And someone who once wore a uniform to work?wink.png

I cannot see what difference it makes in this context whether they have a scottish monk or a monk from Mars. It may be of help if someone can speak your native language well but the nationality of a monk should have been left far behind together with most other worldly things.

I was visiting my FIL (Buddhist Monk) in Nakon Sawan and met a man from England who was a monk. He wrote a book named Phra Falang. You might try to find a copy of it and see if it may give you an idea what it is like being a monk in Thailand.

When I was an Investment banker in Tokyo, one of the Directors (a big boy) was a 29 year old genius. He was a nice guy and a good boss. But what I remember most about him was that for one year he was a monk in the harsh Japanese-style of monkhood. I think it made him a better person. He wrote about it but I can't find it.

I'm telling you this, because others will mock your idea, or tell you to get a good education first. But many of them are from the Boomer generation, where constant hardwork did lead to a reward. Your generation has to find other ways of getting the best from life. Doing the monk thing may change your perspective on life, change your character, and... look great on your CV.

Go for it.

(and I should point out: I am Scottish and kind of young)

Thankyou for your kind reply.

It's nice to hear from another Scottish person understanding why I'm doing this. I'm primarily doing this for myself and to get myself back on track with my life. To learn to apprecaite life it's self and just live outside of my own little bubble.

Do you have any idea how this director went about contacting these monks and such?

Thanks again

This is just a young man`s glorified holiday adventure, if you were seriously considering doing this to get back on track on your life, than a year would be a more realistic period.

I doubt if your family have any concerns for the time being, because they probably believe that once your 2 month holiday at a temple is over, you will be going straight home again and will continue on whatever you were doing prior to arriving in Thailand.

Perhaps later you could write a book about your 8 weeks adventure stay at a Thai temple, some may find it interesting.