Farang, go home!

Mapguy

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you really think that the general Thai populace actually think any different to her? After being here for a long time, it is blatantly obvious that we are not welcome here, we are tolerated because we pay, we are just as unwelcome as foreigners are in our home countries... You will meet individuals that dont fit the mould certainly, but to Thais as a "collective" we are not welcome but our money is, perpetual paying guests, that is all we are and all we will ever be.

The sooner you accept that fact the better.

That's not my experience. However, I observe foreigners who inhabit the lower echelons of society by marrying uneducated poor women or even sex workers and their experiences are very different to mine.

I pay my way but nobody asks me for money. I can't think of the last time I knowingly paid a different price for something in Chiang Mai. I visited the zoo a few weeks ago and there is 2-tier pricing for foreign tourists. The girl behind the counter saw my wife and children and without asking charged me the same as a local.

I'm sure there are Thais that don't like me simply because I'm a foreigner. This would be no different to the attitudes of many people in my home country towards foreigners as well. I don't assume the attitudes of a few bigots represent the general feeling of most Thais.

Sir

you are correct,i am sure many many thais will not like you

• Like 1

you really think that the general Thai populace actually think any different to her? After being here for a long time, it is blatantly obvious that we are not welcome here, we are tolerated because we pay, we are just as unwelcome as foreigners are in our home countries... You will meet individuals that dont fit the mould certainly, but to Thais as a "collective" we are not welcome but our money is, perpetual paying guests, that is all we are and all we will ever be.

The sooner you accept that fact the better.

That's not my experience. However, I observe foreigners who inhabit the lower echelons of society by marrying uneducated poor women or even sex workers and their experiences are very different to mine.

I pay my way but nobody asks me for money. I can't think of the last time I knowingly paid a different price for something in Chiang Mai. I visited the zoo a few weeks ago and there is 2-tier pricing for foreign tourists. The girl behind the counter saw my wife and children and without asking charged me the same as a local.

I'm sure there are Thais that don't like me simply because I'm a foreigner. This would be no different to the attitudes of many people in my home country towards foreigners as well. I don't assume the attitudes of a few bigots represent the general feeling of most Thais.

I agree with everything you say.

I think there may be some resentment/dislike in Bangkok in recent years but have never noticed it here in the North. Also in places like Hat Yai, Pattani, etc. I never noticed it. I did see some absolute hatred for the Russians on my last visits to Koh Chang and Phuket, but the feelings were not directed at all farangs; only Russians.

I have to say that the woman in the article working on her Ph.D. can barely write in English. Mae Jo University has many, many butch lesbians including teachers so maybe the woman disliked the male farang English teacher for some other personal reasons. (Flame away, but true). I would not read too much into a facebook posting anyway.

I don't know why Mapguy bothered posting this at 3:00 (most likely after a few), only to stir up controversy as he always does, I'm sure. I see it as a non-issue.

• Like 1

There is so much "cooked up" noise in the media at the moment it is hard to see the truth. Even if this is true then it is a fairly benign comment on the whole. Half-baked, unthought, reasoning for "foreigners to go home"? I hear the same rubbish in the UK constantly and, in a VERY similar way, I have to remind them that ALL Brits were foreigners and our great nation was founded on those international relations. Without the Roman empire we would be nothing, as an example.

In a similar vein there is no "true Thai". The people here are a melting pot of Khmer, Chinese, Burmese, Indian and Western people. If she wants all foreigners to go home then the country will be pretty empty. Thailand has had the advantage of being a geographical cross-roads for a long time. It is about time they woke up, realised the strength in foreign interest and moved forward. Change the outside view of Thailand from beaches, cheap sex and the odd temple to the regional powerhouse. Unfortunately for Thailand that doesn't start with the words "We are making Thailand the hub for...."

• Like 2

She is just another person letting words flow from her mouth,

before thinking it through, about what actually she is saying.

It happens both to Thais and Farangs,think the scientific name

for this illness is Verbal diarrhea.

She may just be upset because a Farang cut in front of her at

the Rimping checkout,it takes very little to upset some people,

but as long as Thais are shooting themselves in the foot with

all this fighting among each other,effecting Tourism,and Investment,

we and our money will be grudgingly accepted,for now !

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

I would say they do care about foreigners and anywhere you have lines say at the local food stall this is why Thai's believe they should always be served first. There are people who will simply push in front of foreigners in line because they because foreigners are second class citizens and deserve to be treated as such. It's attitudes like this lecturers that reenforce these notions.

All of this eminates from such Party slogans as Thai love "rak" Thai etc etc.

Edited by steffi
  • Like 2

She may just be upset because a Farang cut in front of her at

the Rimping checkout

It is more likely that she tried to cut in front of him, but he would not allow it. All you have to do is tell them that you were there first - in Thai - and they back always down.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Thais don't care either way. As long as they get to eat and watch their soaps they are happy. In 20 years I have never heard a Thai use the 'go home' line. They know which side their read is buttered. Foreigners drop Thailand and it becomes North Korea. Idiots like this alleged University Lecturer obviously haven't thought that far ahead.

• Like 1