Teaching TOEFL and IELTS

suwit crisp

Hi Everyone!

So the bottom line is that I have finished my TELF course with text and talk.

I have been teaching English for a year and I want to start teaching TOEFL or IELTS.

I don't know where to start my training to teach this sort of stuff.

I know Text and talk academy has the advance diploma course to prepare teachers to teach TOEFL or IELTS

Has anyone done this course with text and talk?

Was it worth the money?

About CELTA and DELTA

I already have TELF certificate.

Is it necessary to take the CELTA course.

If it's not necessary would it benefit me in teaching TOEFL or IELTS

Would the DELTA course prepare me to teach TOEFL or IELTS?

Thanky you

First of all, just go teach for a few years. One year of experience and a TEFL will not prepare you to teach test prep courses unless you have some other background.

If you are truly interested in teaching test prep, I would suggest just getting the pre test booklets and study guides. Go through the tests and take the pre test if you have almost perfect score, then you might be able to teach it.

CELTA is necessary if you want to be an IELTS tester. DELTA is a one year course after the CELTA which is a lot of work and not necessarily related to being a TEFL IELTS tester, but will give you an enourmous amount of knoweldge.

Understanding how the tests are organized, administered and what they specifically assess, will help you prepare students. Being able to explain (in terms foreign students can understand) grammar and reading comprehension skills is very important. It just sounds right won't help students.

In my opinion only students with upper intermediate or advanced communicative ability will make progress with a native speaker in test prep. A lot of bi lingual teachers do a much better job for test prep. A lot of the skills and things can be learnt in the students first language. A lot of the tests are comprehension and don't require the skills that most native speakers are best at.

The problem with that is some students actually achieve a relatively good score on the test but still are behind with listening and speaking skills which will help them most if they actually live abroad.