What do teachers want for Christmas?

I'd like to get my son's teacher a nice present - she deserves it! Was thinking a gift certificate to a fancy restaurant but would love to hear suggestions.

Also, what is an appropriate gift for the classroom's Thai teaching aide, also a nice lady whom I would like to thank for being so great?

Something they can use in their classroom would probably make a nice gift (e.g. a nice pen, diary/notebook or maybe a USB drive). I know that if a parent was going to give me a gift, something like this would be well appreciated. Although sometimes diaries / notebooks aren't always a good idea, as many prefer to keep notes electronically these days (But the people who do use paper diaries, would probably really value a good one).

As a teacher I was always appreciative for all the gifts I received throughout the year. The most given gift was a fruit basket or an assorted gift basket. For a lady teacher I think a 'gift certificate' to a department store is fine, the gift certificate for a restaurant may cause some problem if they take another person who will need to pay - could be a bit expensive for her.

Anyway, as a teacher for many years, I found that gifts from students varied according to the school I was teaching at - one school they gave simple gifts of flowers - that was nice too. It also saved face for a teacher who didn't receive gifts of substance.

be assured that whatever you give will be accepted graciously and kidly - that's been my experience.

I don;t get too much these days, probably because I teach m3/m4 and I'm a hard ass with the students. If kids behave and do their work that's enough for me. And I tell them that. For a foreign teacher, a thank you is enough. Thai teachers can be given gift baskets, snacks, etc. They will appreciate anything, actually.

Respect for a foreign culture in Thailand .. A day off for xmas day.

ETA: Instead of the humiliation of wearing a santa hat and singing jingle bells on stage during the morning assembly.

Edited by recom273

Duh .... First of all, I would never consider giving a Thai a Christmas present when they are Buddhist!

Sounds like more than your son needs some education. wai2.gifclap2.gif

Please, the spirit of Christmas is in giving, not receiving. I am sure a Thai teacher, like any other nationality of teacher, would appreciate the thanks of any of their students' parents. It would make no difference if it's Christmas or not.

• Like 1

Respect for a foreign culture in Thailand .. A day off for xmas day.

ETA: Instead of the humiliation of wearing a santa hat and singing jingle bells on stage during the morning assembly.

I'd be more than happy just to wear such a hat. They want me to "play" Santa Claus. The only problem is that a couple of reindeer are hard to find. -coffee1.gif

• 2 weeks later...