Abstract photography

Tywais

Following on the "Is Photography Art?" and as I was playing with my new tripod with my long lens on it, I started panning around at 600mm to see anything of interest. Found a gap in my balcony wall and as I looked through it saw an interesting pattern. So, put on your thinking caps and see what you can come up with as a photographic abstract.

Definition: Abstract Photography

Like abstract art, Abstract photography concentrates on shape, form, colour, pattern and texture. The viewer is often unable to see the whole object. The focus is often only a small part of it. Viewers of an abstract shot may only know the essence of the abstraction or understand it by what is implied. Normally the object or image will not be a literal view of the subject. The subject tends to come second to the observance of… More here

11216819346_64943cbdfd_c.jpg

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To give some guidelines on how to:

Abstract photography can produce very dramatic images. It relies on our more primal sense of form, color, and curves than it does on detail. The problem is that most photographers tend to think in terms of detail when evaluating photographic opportunities. However, it takes a different way of looking at our world to perceive the abstract photography opportunities that surround us.

The purpose of this article is to investigate the techniques and subject matter opportunities of abstract photography. This is an in-depth, multi article series that will cover the following topics:

Abstract Photography Definition

There is no standard, universally accepted definition of abstract photography. Actually, it is not easy to create a clear-cut definition of an abstract concept. However, for the purposes of this article series, it is necessary to create a definition in order to put some boundaries around the topic. This makes it easier to determine what falls within the domain of the subject matter. Thus, for this article series, abstract photography will be defined as photography that:

• Does not represent the subject in a literal way.
  • Communicates primarily through form, color, and curves rather than image detail.

This definition brings about a very important point. Since image detail takes a back seat to form, color, and curves, the brain's logical processes are more subdued when viewing abstract images. Instead, the reaction is much more instinctual. In essence, abstract photography communicates to the viewer primarily through the viewer's emotions. This plays to the photographer's benefit because humans' emotional systems are much more powerful than the logical systems.

Abstract Photography

The second is a condo building, with the image turned upside down to make it look less like a condo. The third is a close-up of a condo, with overflow pipes adding a little something.

Now they are not abstract any more!

The first is a piledriver into the pits of hell! Or?

Now they are not abstract any more!

Yes, I knew when I asked the question it reduced it to the norm but wanted the perspective for my future 'eye' at looking at things. I'm new at this on a photography level but owned several abstract artwork pieces in the past.

This rather abstract thing struck just after I clicked the like button

of FR's Pile Driver in Hell pic.

post-146250-0-82746000-1386381302_thumb.

Love that shot FR.

The first condo shot has the same effect on my eyes as posters

from the late 60's did...kinda psychedellic even in monochrome

or one of those mess with your eyes posters/artwork.

The little drain pipes give away what the third shot may be...

however...now that the secret's out so to speak...it still makes

one wonder what it is!

Good Stuff!

The pile driver is actually a mushroom. I stuck an LCD light underneath and all these amazing colours came through. Given I shot it using manual focus and a mirrorless camera, I am amazed it worked at all.....

A "shroom"!!!....bloody hell mate....now that you mentioned it...yeah!

Great Shot!

I initially though it was one of those Golden Lance things that burn through

carbon steel & strombonium in a flash & wondered how you caught the rag

on it's "stem" before it was vapourised...hah!

If you want to submit the pic to Corbis or Getty PM me.

Probably not sufficiently abstract, but I was trying to bring out the patterns and textures rather than photograph the object. This was from the phase I went through that produced the mushroom shot, i.e. stick a light under something and see what happens.

7733538104_b3106d3a57_c.jpg
P1070957-Edit.jpg by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

Archived