Penn conventionals and humidity

jaidam

After seeing yet another sick Penn reel just wanted to give some advice if there are any other owners here. The humidity and heat seems to quickly rust together the spool and pinion gear. You can tell if it has happened to your reel because you will not be able to put the reel into free-spool. Only way you can let line out in that case is by letting off the drag and pull line out by hand. Over the years I have seen so many Penns that have this problem here including some of my own reels that have been sitting in the rod rack in the den.

Its an easy problem to avoid. Every so often play with the reel by putting it into gear and then freespool a few times. It will keep the spool shaft lubed and free. Takes a minute and saves repairing the reel. It is a PITA to get the stuck pinion off even after a good soak in Sonex and normally leaves some scarring on the spool.

BTW I'm on the lookout for an old stock 349 with the chromed brass spool to add to the collection, if anybody has one for sale please PM me.