Immigration vows strictness on retirement visa requirements

I will demonstrate that I have pension when it begins June 2014. One should not have to show that the income has been coming for the 3 months as stated, but only that it is a fixed income, and is guaranteed for the future, and then never have to show it again.

"An alternative is to show a regular pension or investment income of at least 65,000 baht a month, he said. Applicants must show proof of this income for the three months prior to submitting the application."

Edited: Removed improper statement. Ubonjoe

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is a "married to a Thai" visa only requiring 400,000? Makes no sense that it should be 400,000 when two people are being supported. Why not 1,600,000 baht for a married farang?

the 400,000 option is much more difficult to obtain it also allows you to look for work

• Like 1

I will demonstrate that I have pension when it begins June 2014. One should not have to show that the income has been coming for the 3 months as stated, but only that it is a fixed income, and is guaranteed for the future, and then never have to show it again.

"An alternative is to show a regular pension or investment income of at least 65,000 baht a month, he said. Applicants must show proof of this income for the three months prior to submitting the application."

Edited: Removed improper statement. Ubonjoe

you tell 'em. Let us all know how you go.whistling.gif

Why are people so unhappy, it's just ฿800'000.-

I'm happy, i can afford it.

It's their rules, if can't afford then just don't apply...Simple~

I think you miss the point. I was given the OA visa with 800000 in the bank and much more per year in pensions and other income. I can afford to stay under any changes. If I did not have the income what would I do with the auto I bought etc. - It would not be fair - simple, na ?

ohhhh....I am so cornfused!

so let me get this straight...50% per person really means 100% per person?

biggrin.png Yep, Something like that. I've chucked in the towel with regard to ever marrying in Thailand. The laws, once you've signed up, can change according to the whims of the governing party, then misunderstood, manipulated, or simply ignored, according to the mood of regional officials. It's all a load of crap, due to monumentally bad governance.

• Like 2

Retirement Visa ?

I thought there is no such thing. I learnt here that it is only an extention of stay.

rolleyes.gif

Correct...there is not such thing as a "Retirement Visa" or a "Marriage Visa"

It is an Extension of Stay based on retirement or marriage to a Thai national.

Why is a "married to a Thai" visa only requiring 400,000? Makes no sense that it should be 400,000 when two people are being supported. Why not 1,600,000 baht for a married farang?

the 400,000 option is much more difficult to obtain it also allows you to look for work

That is correct. I know several retirees who have given up applying for the extension based on having a Thai family member, as it became too much of a hassle, and switched to the much easier (apart from the higher financial hurdle) retirement extension instead. Some who are working have switched back NON-B visas instead. The grass is not all greener.

• Like 1

There is a conflict between the Ministerial Order and the Police Order. The former does NOT allow wifes of retiries to piggy back n their husband retirement extention. The latter does. They tried to enforce this in Bangkok a couple of years ago and it lasted about 2 days.

• Like 1

Marriage to a Thai is a lot of work! cheesy.gif

Marriage to a Thai is a lot of work???? I'm married to a Thai, and I don't do any work.

Then you are a lazy Cu** tongue.png

Would you like to tell me what work I should be doing. I always clean up after myself, in the toilet, kitchen, bedroom etc, if that's what you mean, I am retired now and do not want to work, what's wrong with that? Also, I am not lazy, I exercise most days in the park.

Not married so this does not apply to me, but I really don't understand why the Thai government wants to make things more

difficult for what I consider high quality tourists who are here full time. All they do is take money out of the system in there

home countries and inject it into the Thai economy. Housing, food, entertainment. Year round trickle down effect to the

Thai economy that you can count on. Through political unrest, natural disasters, low season. I really don't get it.

• Like 2

Can the "dependent spouse" still be under age 50, or do they need to meet all the qualifications independently for a retirement extension, including age?

If they were to actually do what they said there would be no extension available for a spouse that is under 50.
  • Like 2

The retirement Visa extension requirement amount of 800,000 is completely unrelated to a Thai Visa extension by marriage. The 400,000 baht in the bank for two months requirement for a Visa extension by marriage makes perfect sense. Rather than tie up an addional 400,000 in an account for three months the government policy gives you more leeway as it understood you would be (or should be) putting more money directly into that Thai family relationship.

I switched from a retirement Visa to a marriage Visa three years ago. It's a little more paperwork on the front end but once you do, it's a hour at most (I use the online appointment scheduler) in Immigration each year.

Edited by lifeincnx
  • Like 1

What's new? This is the way it has been for years. We have been coughing up with 800K each for 5-6 years by now. I wonder when they will raise it...

It really makes no difference...............People will still be buying the visas under the table, those who receive the bribes won't change. From officials to the bank managers who sign the papers when there's no money in an account. 40k in Pattaya, 25k in KK, and even as low as 10K in Buriram.

Retirement Visa ?

I thought there is no such thing. I learnt here that it is only an extention of stay.

rolleyes.gif

yada yada hairsplit yakety-yak yawn yawwwwnnnnn.... coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Your thinking is so weird!

You should be asking why do we need to have anything in our bank accounts for the sake of a retirement or a marriage visa.

Can you tell me of any other country that stipulates this requirement?

What's new? This is the way it has been for years. We have been coughing up with 800K each for 5-6 years by now. I wonder when they will raise it...

Following the law will often result in a cough. Wondering is nice, but may cause a worrisome persons cough to worsen.

Living Life on Life's Terms.

Edited by Benmart

.Retirement Visa ?

Posted Image

yada yada hairsplit yakety-yak yawn yawwwwnnnnn....  Posted Image
He is correct. You would not believe how many times calling an extension a visa has created confusion on this forum. Or how many times I have had to ask the question do you have a visa or an extension of stay from immigration.

Retirement Visa ?

rolleyes.gif

but immigration called it a retirement visa

Some regular used words by foreigners are very hard to find in Thai dictionaries

Like why?

Now perhaps this is one of the main structural problems in Thai society, not to question anything except when it is useful (prayood)

opposite world were we question in order to gain knowledge They question when its to late.

Oh well

A nice day anyway.

And your point is, exactly ? ? ? ?

Cheers,

'Proud To Be Frysian'

thumbsup.gif

The rules since Nov. 2008 have already been posted in this thread and is how immigration handles cases.It might be that there is a lot lost in translation.

To me it seems that immigration might be trying to say is simply that a person applying for an extension based on retirement must fulfill the requirements by him/herself, so no joint accounts. (In the past a joined account was often allowed, provided it was at least 1,6 million baht).

If one of the partners doesn't have 800,000 baht or otherwise meets the financial requirements, he/she will have to apply as dependent and not for an extension based on retirement him/her self.

States can be sued and embarrassed in front of the world for breaching their international commitments to Human rights if they are unreasonably forcing married couples and families apart, ie by prohibitive and unreasonable financial requirements, 400k baht is pushing their luck.

• Like 1

You should be asking why do we need to have anything in our bank accounts for the sake of a retirement or a marriage visa.

Perhaps a simplistic answer is, because Thai law requires it. Another countries requirements are

moot unless one is complying with its visa requirements. When in Thailand, I hear and obey. When I can't or won't do that, I can exercise other options.

• Like 1

Yet more senseless idiotic ideas designed to disrupot and cause as much comfusion and uposet to foreign retirees. Think about it....retirees bring in foreign money to spend in Thailand and Thailand sees this as an issue?

If the couple are married and are living together then what the heck does it matter who has the money and in what account? If they are a genuine couple then the money would be theirs....not his or hers.

I think that is the very point that has caused this rule to be reinterpreted in Phuket. Some marriages are not genuine and people have been circumventing it through marriages of convenience. Just like the days when you only needed to have the cash in the bank for one day. People passed around the same money to each other and hence, now it has to be there for three months. Some hassle is actually caused by a minority trying to circumvent or take advantage of the rules. Hardly surprising Immigration react.

The question in my mind is why it's taken five years for Phuket to catch up to the real interpretation of the law. They've been easy going for so long, I can't see the need to get knickers in a twist now they've caught up. It was bound to happen.

States can be sued and embarrassed in front of the world for breaching their international commitments to Human rights if they are unreasonably forcing married couples and families apart, ie by prohibitive and unreasonable financial requirements, 400k baht is pushing their luck.

Agreed. IMO, it would be an uphill battle to demonstrate this requirement is prohibitive and unreasonable.

Perhaps a simplistic answer is, because Thai law requires it. Another countries requirements are

moot unless one is complying with its visa requirements. When in Thailand, I hear and obey. When I can't or won't do that, I can exercise other options.

Try obtaining a UK settlement visa for a Thai wife with a zero bank balance !

• Like 2

Why should a falang married to a thai be treated any different from what i have seen thai woman seem to cost more to keep than a falang wife think it is time to move onto the next door neighbours Malaysia, Cambodia or even the Philippines.

Off you go then, I am sure you will be missed.

or is that just some bravado there?

You ask why, why not? As am I, you can follow the rules of the country in which you are staying, or go, simple really !!

• Like 2