"Lao Falang" - Sources dried up for Western whiskies

Petruchio

For a long time I have been going to the Liquor Store on the east side of Jedyod Rd not far from the red light at the Boulevard. As far as I have found they are about the only place with any sort of decent selection of Western spirits at fairly reasonable prices. Six items in particular, I have been buying there, and multiple bottles of each, about every 2 weeks for me and certain Thais in my village for our little get togethers. But last time I went in, these six had all gone up over 15%, and it seemed nothing but those particular ones had gone up - making me wonder what the price would have been to a Farang other than me. I took it as a personal gyp and walked out without buying anything, saying to myself, I'll just go to MaeSia, cross into Myanmar and go to the Duty Free shop on the left just across the river where they have a far larger selection at far cheaper prices, and in larger bottlesas well, if I wanted those.

The last time I went there, one could bring 5 bottles back across, and if I took 3 or 4 Thais from the village with me I could bring back about as many bottles as I wanted. So yesterday I went to Mae Sai, but when I walked into the Duty Free shop I was foored to see that they had vastly reduced their whiskey offerings. Their wines looked about the same - they always seemed to have a good selection, but I don't drink wine generally. Even more disheartening, they had absolutely none of the stuff I had always bought there before, and the other Western whiskey (other than the usual Thai whiskies) was either discontinued or in the process of being, since several varieties only had a bottle or two in stock. It strongly appeared they were basically getting out of the whiskey business, though they claimed otherwise.

I have heard that farther back into Tachelik there are two or three other whiskey shops with good selections and fairly reasonable, but those I have asked who seemed to know, say the selection is very limited as to the Western stuff. Nonetheless I had decided t go back and look for these other shops, but a neighbor gal who has a non-resident Korean husband who had been to these other shops with him, also said the selection was very limited, but she crushed me with the news that now the Thai Immigrqation will only allow one bottle per person to be brought back into Mae Sai. This being true, there would be no justification in going up there at all, other than as necessary to Thai Immigration.

On the way out of Mae Sai I stopped at Tesco Lotus who has somewhat of a selection of stuff I like, but they too, appeared to have greatly reduced their stock.

So unless any of you out there know specifically that more bottles can be brought back from Tachelik - or of another place either in Chiang Rai or this area, I am as they say, S _ _ t out of Luck for my favorite stuff, and Chiang Mai is the next best bet. I could justify a trip there when next I must get an Income Affadavit for a Retirement Extension, but I don't know much about Chiang Mai or where a good shop is located. So otherwise I will just have to make do with the Barton's Vodka and Gin from Makro at 399b per bottle.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions....

Petruchio

P. S. - Some of the things I usually get are stuff like Captain Morgains' Original Rum, Captain Morgains' Spiced Gold Rum, Southern Comfort Whiskey, Sweet Vermouth, Calanes Orange Liquer, Hiram Walker's Triple Sec and especially their Creme de Cassis, and other whiskies.

I checked out what I consider to be the two major liquor stores in Tachilek today, the duty free opposite immigration and another in the back streets that occasionally has a senior Thai police officer hanging around.

Both had an excellent range of wines from around the world and Scotch whiskeys ranging from "top shelf" single malts to supermarket brands.

The duty free did not have Captain Morgan rum that I could find but there was a good range of West Indian white and dark rums.

Vermouths were available and also a reasonable selection of liqueurs and cognacs.

I bought a couple of bottles of wine and found the prices compared favorably with Tops and Big C in Chiang Rai with a far better selection.

• Like 2

Thanks to all repliers. Looks to me like I am not alone in my problem and there are no easy solutions.

My village "friends" are seriously helping deplete my curret stocks, and my liver is getting desperate.

Please continue thinking about this problem. Perhaps we should petition Thaksin's sister. (Rotsa ruck).

It is times such as these that make me reconsider and turn into a wine snob. (Gasp, cough, upchuck).

Actually I am a wine snob of sorts. I have always made my own, but it is difficult here - no access to good wine yeasts, and bread yeasts are way too problematical.

Petruchio