Pattaya's biggest bookstore

Briggsy

What is Pattaya's biggest bookstore in terms of new, English-language books.

I know of the 2nd hand book shops such as Canterbury Tales and Tops Pattaya Klang/2nd road but I am asking about new books here. In Bangkok, I would go to Asia Books or Kinokuniya.

What is Pattaya's equivalent to these and where are they located?

Thanks, Briggsy

I think Swiss 1960 may be referring to Bookazine on Second Road, not Asia Books, unless there is an Asia books store near there as well.

In any case, the largest books-store I have come across in Pattaya is Bookazine at the right hand end of The Avenue, facing out onto second road.

In the past I have been surprised by the variety of books stocked there, but that was some time back.

Personally I have found that Asia Books has a very limited collection of books and rarely stocks anything I want. Many years back, their stores in Sukhumvit and Central Chidlom were an absolute treasure trove of books - old and new - but those days have long gone.

These days, I use Amazon-Kindle - cheaper and more convenient.

For more obscure books, Kinokuniya book store in Siam Paragon is as good a store as you will find anywhere in the world. It's enormous.You can even go on line and see if the book you want is in stock and then order it for pick-up, at no (extra) cost.

Edited by Mobi

I think Swiss 1960 may be referring to Bookazine on Second Road, not Asia Books, unless there is an Asia books store near there as well.

In any case, the largest books-store I have come across in Pattaya is Bookazine at the right hand end of The Avenue, facing out onto second road.

In the past I have been surprised by the variety of books stocked there, but that was some time back.

Personally I have found that Asia Books has a very limited collection of books and rarely stocks anything I want. Many years back, their stores in Sukhumvit and Central Chidlom were an absolute treasure trove of books - old and new - but those days have long gone.

For more obscure books, Kinokuniya book store in Siam Paragon is as good a store as you will find anywhere in the world. It's enormous.You can even go on line and see if the book you want is in stock and then order it for pick-up, at no (extra) cost.

You are right Moby, it's Bookazine on Second Road, did not remember the name. However, there IS and Asia Book store on 3rd floor of Central Festival also and I have bought books in both these stores.

And you are right again... if you read a lot, Kindle (i just bought the Paperwhite) is the cheaper option in the long term, as e-books are just cheaper than paper books.

Edited by Swiss1960

You are right Moby, it's Bookazine on Second Road, did not remember the name. However, there IS and Asia Book store on 3rd floor of Central Festival also and I have bought books in both these stores.

And you are right again... if you read a lot, Kindle (i just bought the Paperwhite) is the cheaper option in the long term, as e-books are just cheaper than paper books.

Many, many ebooks are free if you know how to TORRENT.

A huge number books which out of copywrite ( i.e. most classics) can be found on Amazon for free if you look for them. Amongst many others, I got the complete works of Tolstoy completely free.

Project Gutenberg, (Google) also has a substantial number of free books available for download, and there are many others like this.

Also, if you keep your eyes peeled you will often find free offers for newly released books on Amazon for a limited period. It is a ploy to generate interest and kick-start sales. (I did this for my own book back in October.)

So one way or another, if you are very hard up, there are almost limitless numbers of ebooks available, free of charge to download. If you don't have a Kindle or similar device, you can even download free software that will enable you to read ebooks on your laptop or desk top, in the same way that they are read from dedicated reading devices.

Last but not least, of course you can find free, but illegal downloads of commercial books, in the same way as you can download illegal music or movies.

let your conscience be your guide.

I seem to recall that Asia Books and Bookazine are the same company now . Does not matter - a piece of trivia.

• Like 1

I followed up on the bookshops.

DK Books at the bottom of Central Road near the beach looks like it is on life support. It does have a prime location though and that is probably the only reason it remains open, just waiting for the right land developer to buy it and turn it into a hotel. The staff's attitude lies somewhere between leaves a lot to be desired and problematic. So as a book shop, forget it.

There are 2 book shops selling English language books in Central that I found. On the 3rd floor there is an Asia Books. On the 4th floor, there is another Asia Books inside B2S. There was a wide range of books which were very similar in their range and the 2 stores are probably in fact effectively one store. The staff were very helpful.

I was unable to find any trace of a book shop in Royal Garden Plaza.

I didn't find the Bookazine but I did not look very hard.

I followed up on the bookshops.

DK Books at the bottom of Central Road near the beach looks like it is on life support. It does have a prime location though and that is probably the only reason it remains open, just waiting for the right land developer to buy it and turn it into a hotel. The staff's attitude lies somewhere between leaves a lot to be desired and problematic. So as a book shop, forget it.

There are 2 book shops selling English language books in Central that I found. On the 3rd floor there is an Asia Books. On the 4th floor, there is another Asia Books inside B2S. There was a wide range of books which were very similar in their range and the 2 stores are probably in fact effectively one store. The staff were very helpful.

I was unable to find any trace of a book shop in Royal Garden Plaza.

I didn't find the Bookazine but I did not look very hard.

Well unless its been closed down since I last went to Pattaya, it's pretty huge and you really can't miss it. It's larger than anything in Central - at the far right end of The Avenue,facing out onto second road, not far from where all the taxis park.

I will look again next time I venture to the Enlightened Side. I imagine I missed it whilst simultaneously dodging the baht buses and vehicles popping out of side sois and side exits.

Avenue has never really been my haunt for anything. So I am not really familiar with what shops are there.