For smokers: will the ecigerette catch on in Thailand?

R123

I saw a minibus driver waiting outside Hua Hin immigration for is customers who must have been inside last week, he was smoking one of these electronic cigarettes.

He said he'd tried to give up smoking many times before but always failed, now he's swapped over to these and they work just fine.

He was a Thai guy in his late 50's to 60's by the looks of it.

They're catching on so much that even Phillip Morris, the last of the 'hold outs' in big tobacco has announced that they will be producing a line of electronic cigarettes. Until only a few months ago they were releasing statements against electronic cigarettes.

You can't get much bigger than Phillip Morris and they would not have acted in this way unless they felt they had to. They can see this massive change looming on the horizon and they want their cut.

• Like 1

I saw a minibus driver waiting outside Hua Hin immigration for is customers who must have been inside last week, he was smoking one of these electronic cigarettes.

He said he'd tried to give up smoking many times before but always failed, now he's swapped over to these and they work just fine.

He was a Thai guy in his late 50's to 60's by the looks of it.

They're catching on so much that even Phillip Morris, the last of the 'hold outs' in big tobacco has announced that they will be producing a line of electronic cigarettes. Until only a few months ago they were releasing statements against electronic cigarettes.

You can't get much bigger than Phillip Morris and they would not have acted in this way unless they felt they had to. They can see this massive change looming on the horizon and they want their cut.

I agree that they have been around Thailand for some time now, but just a couple of points on them.

Against popular belief, they do not stop the nicotine addition, this is what is in the refills, at differing strengths. It is a substitution for normal cigarettes only.

The reason that they are deemed illegal in Thailand is not because of the act itself, but controlling the refills. You have really got to ask yourself how much you are saving when you use these cheap refills.................... Very little control on the quality of this.

Still, several million can't be wrong with other home-made cooking, eh?

Keep the kids out of the kitchen Nigga as the old saying goes..............:)

I wish they would just get on with it and legalise them, make them freely available. I can't imagine that kids would see them as a cool ( or whatever the right word is these days) alternative to the real thing. Quality control with the juice is key....it could be a good export earner for Thai Tobacco. I' a bit wary of the .Chinese juice for quality reasons. There has been a case or two of exploding batteries....one guy lost his choppers when the battery blew, mid-smoke

I wish they would just get on with it and legalise them, make them freely available. I can't imagine that kids would see them as a cool ( or whatever the right word is these days) alternative to the real thing. Quality control with the juice is key....it could be a good export earner for Thai Tobacco. I' a bit wary of the .Chinese juice for quality reasons. There has been a case or two of exploding batteries....one guy lost his choppers when the battery blew, mid-smoke

quality control is very important. i only buy from trusted brands and have never had a problem. i have several friends that have bought the really cheap ones and are complaining about headaches and sore throats. they take one puff of what i have and immediately realize its worth a bit extra.

i have heard the story of someone having a battery blow up in their face many times, never from a reliable source. if it was true, the anti vaping coalition would have it as front page news. i will believe it when i see some solid evidence of it occurring. i remember years back people spreading a similar story about cell phones. maybe we should all still be using landlines. tongue.png

Until the Thai Tobacco Monopoly starts selling them they will remain illegal

But once again one has to ask, just how many things in Thailand are illegal, but still permitted !

many have already...........

they realize that if you cant beat'em; join'em

Edited by yourauntbob

Ive been vaping now about 1 year and has been the best thing for myself ,Harm reduction at its greatest as there is no tar ,no 4000 chemical per smoke.Yes im a convert that would like to see things become legal in regards to this .

• Like 1

A friend nicknamed "Smokie", has been rushed to I.C.U. 5 times over the past 3 years, as smoking severely damaged his lungs. Each time, after recovery, he went back to smoking only to be rushed into hospital again. They then put him onto the electronic cigarette, which was fine for around 6 months but now Smokie is back on the hard drug (tobacco) again.

Had Christopher Columbus brought back Cannabis from the Americas and Tobacco had been only a recent discovery, we would all be smoking pot and tobacco would be banned as the dangerous addictive drug that it is. In 1604, King James I, wrote about tobacco: "custome lothsome to the eye, hatefull to the Nose, harmefull to the braine, dangerous to the Lungs, and in the blacke stinking fume thereof, neerest resembling the horrible Stigian smoke of the pit that is bottomless.

The e-cigarette helps smokers to wean themselves off but usually the damage has already been done. All the smokers in my Mother's family died by the time they were 45, whereas my Mother and two Uncles who never smoked, are 88, 96 and 98 respectively.

"When I researched the subject, the law in Thailand remains firm: E-cigarettes are illegal to import, use or sell in the Kingdom."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/409614-electronic-cigarette-illegal-to-import/

-see page 3.

Does anyone know for sure if legal or not in Thailand?

Yes, you're correct, they're illegal in Thailand

I found them to be a very effective way of weaning myself off of nicotine. Just taper the strength of the juice you use. Haven't smoked, e-cigs or analogues, for the past several months. The e-cigs were of the tank, not cartridge, variety. There is a choice of decent liquid available here in Bangkok, reliable Chinese as well as American.

A friend nicknamed "Smokie", has been rushed to I.C.U. 5 times over the past 3 years, as smoking severely damaged his lungs. Each time, after recovery, he went back to smoking only to be rushed into hospital again. They then put him onto the electronic cigarette, which was fine for around 6 months but now Smokie is back on the hard drug (tobacco) again.

Had Christopher Columbus brought back Cannabis from the Americas and Tobacco had been only a recent discovery, we would all be smoking pot and tobacco would be banned as the dangerous addictive drug that it is. In 1604, King James I, wrote about tobacco: "custome lothsome to the eye, hatefull to the Nose, harmefull to the braine, dangerous to the Lungs, and in the blacke stinking fume thereof, neerest resembling the horrible Stigian smoke of the pit that is bottomless.

The e-cigarette helps smokers to wean themselves off but usually the damage has already been done. All the smokers in my Mother's family died by the time they were 45, whereas my Mother and two Uncles who never smoked, are 88, 96 and 98 respectively.

Tobacco was the most addictive drug I have ever done...and I did my share....pure hell for me to get off the cigs but fortunately haven't touched one in well over ten years and could not be more happy to no longer spend every waking moment thinking about my next cig....not to mention smelling like an ash tray and who knows how much money I have saved ....and of course my health is WAY better now.

I'm vaping right now. My two Thai brothers-in-law vape. My wife's Thai cousin vapes. I was eating on Thong Lo last night and a Thai was vaping like crazy at a table across from me. I know of about 5 brick and mortar e-cig shops in Bangkok, and there are dozens of Thai e-juice and e-cigarette vendors on Facebook and various Thai forums. There is an active English language forum with reputable vendors here in Thailand, selling both Chinese and USA e-liquids and hardware.

My first time playing with e-cigarettes was one of the little cartridge, puff activated ones about 5 years back. Nothing more than a novelty, ended up in the rubbish. I can buy one 100 times better for 400 baht on the side of the road now, here in Bangkok. The higher end devices are a dream, as are the e-liquids. Vaping blueberry pancakes with syrup right now. No desire to go back to tobacco in any form.

Good thread. Was just going to ask if I can bring my Imperial Hookah e-cig with me to LOS. I was worried it might be construed as drug para.

That said, how much are vape kits going for in BKK and where is a good place to buy them? Thanks.

Ooops. I read the other threads--yikes. I guess they are illegal in Thailand. Scratch that idea.

Edited by KuhnPaen

i used jacvapour from the uk excellent they even deliver to thailand ..finished them now im on nicorette chewing gum.half price in boots thailand 2mg or 4mg 105 pieces for 460bht...i miss the roll ups but im not going back to them...good luck everyone..wai2.gif

Good thread. Was just going to ask if I can bring my Imperial Hookah e-cig with me to LOS. I was worried it might be construed as drug para.

That said, how much are vape kits going for in BKK and where is a good place to buy them? Thanks.

Ooops. I read the other threads--yikes. I guess they are illegal in Thailand. Scratch that idea.

I've been stopped several times at the airport X-ray (mine looks more like a light saber than a Marlboro) and after telling them what it is, continued right through. I've vaped in front of police several times, outside at the airport, in the airport smoking lounges, all without incident. Like I said before, they are sold all over the place in Thailand, usually at the same shops that sell lighters and stun guns. More and more Thais are vaping every day. You shouldn't have a problem.

"When I researched the subject, the law in Thailand remains firm: E-cigarettes are illegal to import, use or sell in the Kingdom."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/409614-electronic-cigarette-illegal-to-import/

-see page 3.

Just at the moment, do you think that even the "Law Makers" would know?

I stopped smoking April fools day in 1981. Cold Turkey. You have to want to stop smoking to do it. No wishing to stop,

. Just do it.

You're presuming everybody wants to stop. I quit for a year and I missed it every day. Vaping is safer, doesn't annoy people, and tastes better.

Congratulations on quitting smoking. You've been smoke free 4 months less than I've been alive. That really is impressive, no sarcasm.

To me, things are changing as technology changes. Vaping is to cigarettes what smoking coffee is to drinking it. When you remove the tar, carbon monoxide, etc., it just becomes a really pleasurable experience.

To each their own. Just don't try to legislate it away from me, how would you like if I banned your coffee. (not you specifically)

• Like 2

The nicotine juice is illegal to sell or have in ones possession. It falls under the Thai FDA regulations for controlled drugs. Hmmmm, how do I know this? My wife ordered some from China for her shop, was called in by customs, and well, the saga continues. As we all know, just because it's done here doesn't mean it's legal. Having an E-cigarette isn't illegal, it's the nicotine juice.

i am smoking one right now thumbsup.gif

Yuk, sooner you than me, I wonder how people would feel if they observed a goat or a cow smoking a dustbin full of straw through a drain pipe, and it had to do this 20 or 30 times a day ??????

-see page 3.

Just at the moment, do you think that even the "Law Makers" would know?

More importantly do you think anyone gives a damn in LOS what is legal or not ?????