Why foreigners go to protest in Thailand ?

anthobkk

I saw some middle aged western guy on what must have been the Democracy Monument stage last week ranting Thai style but in English, beside a Thai doing translation for what looked to be a very bored audience.

Edited by kkerry

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, foreigners must not take part in it and if they do then my question to them is, what will their government do if Thais or foreigners in their country participate in such protests or mob against the power.

Your question is somewhat difficult to understand since you have some difficulties with the English language but actually in many countries foreigners participate in protests... watch this video of an ILLEGAL ASIAN IMMIGRANT in the United States heckling the President!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDEk3OTT_kY

Imagine if we did that to your beloved prime minister, we would probably get shot.

• Like 2

I agree, foreigners must not take part in it and if they do then my question to them is, what will their government do if Thais or foreigners in their country participate in such protests or mob against the power.

They get squirted with water cannons, fired on with tear gas and hit by Police officers like everyone else.

I love the assumption that all foreigners are guests here. Since you don't know anything about this guy's nationality, get off your soap box.

However, in general I agree that while in a foreign country it is impolite if not illegal to protest.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to take part in political protests in Thailand if you are a foreigner. This guy better wish the police don't get this photo.

I love the assumption that all foreigners are guests here. Since you don't know anything about this guy's nationality, get off your soap box.

However, in general I agree that while in a foreign country it is impolite if not illegal to protest.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to take part in political protests in Thailand if you are a foreigner. This guy better wish the police don't get this photo.

Chalerm will solve this, if he can get away from care taking the drinks cabinet.

Anyone who has watched any Hollywood movies know that when there is conflict in Asia, it requires a noble white skinned farang to come in and save the day.

For reference, see:

- The Last Samurai

- 47 Ronin

- Gran Torino

- The King and I

- Pacific Rim

- Avatar The Last Air Bender (movie version)

We should be cheering this white man who has stepped up to take his rightful place as the Thai Savior.

It would be a very long list. "55 Days At Peking " is one that still causes great resentment in China. One can only imagine how western countries would react to visiting Thais demonstrating on local issues....Obamacare, fox hunting, boat people, French pension reform, head scarves, gay marriage, whatever....

Having an opinion and contributing to discussion is healthy, getting involved in the streets .....certifiable

We saw this type of foreign involvement during the last 2010 Red Shirt uprising with those also claimed to be almighty-than-thou and we know what happen to them in the end.

Unless you are a permanent resident or have citizenship, and even then you’d be considered a little bit short in the membrane, one would have to wonder what the objective is behind getting involved in the first place?

• Like 1

Where's the problem? Some people try integrating into Thai society by going to school to learn the language and culture.

Joining protests is just a hell of a smart way of fast-tracking instead of paying for a crash course.

Edited by silent

1. It bothers me that we as foreigners must be considered "guests" in the country. I look at the USA where they have loads of immigrants, some illegal and nobody says they are considered guests. They have the right to assemble in public and rights the same as any other person on USA soil, except they cannot participate in politics - vote or hold office. And I guess they can't be civil servants either. Otherwise I have never heard the word guest used when we talk about Mexicans or other immigrants, be they British or Canadian.

2. It is not illegal nor impolite to protest. It is a function of freedom of speech. See point 1 for reference to rights.

Having said that, this is Thailand and I would not participate in protests. Although I have always manage to sneak into them. I like to collect the propaganda - T shirts, clappers, flip flops, CDs, and all. I do it for my own personal collection. My favorite piece is the cover of Matichon Turakij where they photoshopped a pic of Taksin as the Matrix. Taksin "Jao Paw, Hang Jao Paw". Its so great I framed it. The wife doesnt get that it is a joke so allows me to put it up at home but only over the toilet. The other stuff I keep stored for posterity. Maybe make a museum someday.

• Like 1

A lot of us have got PR and we can join protests without fear of deportation or any other problems. We made this country our home and we have the right to protest. As a matter of interest Permanent residents in New Zealand even have the right to vote

• Like 1

@Anthobkk

Why? Are the hordes of farang protestors interfering with the revolution? Is this really the western political influence you're worried about?

I can honestly say I would never think ask this question of any apparently-asian person at a rally in my country.

Maybe he can vote.

Maybe he was born here.

Maybe he's married here

Maybe he has been here longer than any of the students at these rallies.

Maybe he speaks better Thai than you do.

Maybe he's a tourist and was hawked this gear on the street without realizing the gravity of the situation.

Ahhh. Feels strangely comfortable being on the other side of the race card these days.

"I can honestly say I would never think ask this question of any apparently-asian person at a rally in my country."

Well the person who asked the question has made 63 posts on Thai Visa, so there's a good chance he's not asking it about an apparently-goofy person in HIS country.