Why foreigners go to protest in Thailand ?

anthobkk

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the hell do any of the people writing smart-arsed comments know about the guy.

He COULD easily have Thai nationality and you wouldn't know.

I know a number of farang who look like any tourist or visitor, but who ARE Thai by citizenship - multiple pages of comments from people who have no clue about the guy at all.

Edited by Greer
  • Like 1

I agree, foreigners must not take part in it and if they do then my question to them is, what will their government do if Thais or foreigners in their country participate in such protests or mob against the power.

Thais and other foreigners in my country (Sweden) praticipate in protests and they are allowed to speak up.

We (Swedish people) don´t call the foreigners guest when they have been there for 10 years.

Maybe you meant countries like Afghanistan, Irak, Syria and Somalia when you said " their country". In those countries foreigners would never participate in protests.

Why?

Because they would be kidnapped and beheaded.

Little bit amazed (but not surprised) that some of you think that it's okay to live in a country, pay taxes and work and contribute to the society of that country, even be a legally recognised citizen of that country and yet should give up all rights to politically protest or be involved in politics at all. That's like a government's wet dream- obedient little drone workers who'll pay their taxes on time and bow their heads and do exactly what they're told. :)

• Like 2

Your approaching is absolutely wrong.

Many farangs whose live here for long time they feel this country is their country.

I think this isn't problem at all.

Better to don't judge cause you don't know what will happen to you after 5-10-20 years if you stay here.

About the immigration office warning: this is a full idiot and arrogant warning as it can. Shame for the officers.

no mate, YOUR approaching is wrong !!!

i also live 15 years in Th... i dont have the Thai nationality (why would i), and even when i should have the Thai nationality, i wouldnt make a fool of myself like this bloke by interfering in such political manifestations !! again, this is RIDICULOUS !!! at the end he is NOT a THAI but will always stay a (stupid) falang ! Period !

• Like 2

I love the assumption that all foreigners are guests here. Since you don't know anything about this guy's nationality, get off your soap box.

However, in general I agree that while in a foreign country it is impolite if not illegal to protest.

TV is our soapbox, we are allowed to have an opinion, if we want. Merry Christmas

I remember the farang on the stage in the red shirt protests .what happened to him?

I think the guy in the pic was just on vacation and had the pic taken as a joke or it could be a red shirt incognito LOLcheesy.gif

That crazy guy connor purcel was initially locked up and then deported back to the nanny state of W.A

I wonder what he is doing now?

I've met a few foreigners who CAN VOTE. been here for several decades. before you could become a citizen much easier. now a days it's not possible.

What is the big deal of a foreigner going to protest, if he lives here, married here, have family here, then why not WISH the best for his host country?

• Like 2

I've met a few foreigners who CAN VOTE. been here for several decades. before you could become a citizen much easier. now a days it's not possible.

What is the big deal of a foreigner going to protest, if he lives here, married here, have family here, then why not WISH the best for his host country?

Cos Thai folk don't know whats good for their country so why should a farang..............coffee1.gif

I love the assumption that all foreigners are guests here. Since you don't know anything about this guy's nationality, get off your soap box.

However, in general I agree that while in a foreign country it is impolite if not illegal to protest.

TV is our soapbox, we are allowed to have an opinion, if we want. Merry Christmas

Yeah, God forbid we get down off our barstools and out from behind our keyboards and put some skin in the game.

Foreigners are stupid when they think they are welcome in yellow/red shirts protests. This stays a Thai thing, limited to Thais, understandable only by thais (or so they say!) and about which we should not care at all.

Any Thai government is going to be xenophobic and enforce racist measures such as those warnings on deportation.

So, why bother if the Thais destroy their own country?

So, why bother if the Thais destroy their own country?

Heuuu...simply because some of us live in it coffee1.gif
  • Like 1

I hate the assumption that all foreigners are guests here. We are not, and I don't think I need to tell the posters why.

• Like 2

This thread has really cemented the feeling that had been creeping up on me since I moved here a couple of years back; That, not only am I a foreigner, but living here longer, learning the language and taking part in society will never make me any less a foreigner.

Thank jeebus my country isn't like that.
Oh, we have millions of racists and xenophobes, sure. But no intelligent citizen is going to say you can't become an American if you choose to try, regardless of where you were born. Damn proud of it.

Freedom does not stop at a national border. With that in mind, that same freedom carries additional responsibilities and risks when the border is crossed.

It's a personal choice, apparently not affecting others who opt not to do the same. Live and Let Live.

• Like 2

For those who don't understand and think, it is a freedom of speech- matter, if you are only paying taxes:

This is NO democracy, there is no freedom of speech and no matter if you pay taxes or not- if Thailand tomorrow decides that ALL OF US farang have to go home...that is what will happen!

You and your opinion are not welcome here!

DocN,

Do you even realize the hypocrisy of your post?

If other opinions aren't welcome here what makes you think that yours is??? In the same breath, you rant about not having the right to free speech while you were simultaneously exercising that right.

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Good thread and it caused me to Google "Solidarity"'

From Wikipedia (underlines mine):

• International solidarity is "not an act of charity but an act of unity between allies fighting on different terrains toward the same objectives." - Samora Machel
  • "Unlike solidarity, which is horizontal and takes place between equals, charity is top-down, humiliating those who receive it and never challenging the implicit power relations." - Eduardo Galeano[7]
  • "The most important word in the language of the working class is solidarity." - Harry Bridges[8]
  • "Solidarity is not a matter of altruism. Solidarity comes from the inability to tolerate the affront to our own integrity of passive or active collaboration in the oppression of others, and from the deep recognition of our most expansive self-interest. From the recognition that, like it or not, our liberation is bound up with that of every other being on the planet, and that politically, spiritually, in our heart of hearts we know anything else is unaffordable." - Aurora Levins Morales[9]
  • "Solidarity does not assume that our struggles are the same struggles, or that our pain is the same pain, or that our hope is for the same future. Solidarity involves commitment, and work, as well as the recognition that even if we do not have the same feelings, or the same lives, or the same bodies, we do live on common ground." - Sara Ahmed[10]

I won't be out protesting, but neither will I be disrespecting those who do.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solidarity

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Bravo!

" Solidarity comes from the inability to tolerate the affront to our own integrity of passive or active collaboration in the oppression of others..."

Great post!

• Like 1

If the guy has citizenship he would have every right to protest, however he looks like a total ass hole and an embarrassment. Re the official message what is hi park?

even I may agree that its a bit silly of him to bother protesting... but you must understand,,, if he (or any foreigner) has lived in this country for more than a couple of years, then they read the papers, see the news... the political situation probably makes them just as angry as the next person. just coz he isnt paying tax it doesnt mean he cant voice his opinion.

i think its pretty naive that anyone would question if a foreigner shares his voice about another countries politics.

most people in the world criticize the American government and they are not american! so lighten up everyone!

foreigners have every right to protest in any country if they so wish.

I think its disgusting that immigration threaten to deport anyone who protests against the thai government!!!

how about all of us here on thai-visa criticizing the thai government or opposition on a daily basis (for years!!) perhaps we should all be deported too for making our opinions public? !! geez everyone! its not illegal to voice your opinions (unless its about the monarchy).

I found it offensive and rude and racist for immigration to threaten deportation to any foreigner that joins the protest.

I have no intention of protesting, but I dont like the threat against foreigners.

Edited by easybullet3
  • Like 1

I agree, foreigners must not take part in it and if they do then my question to them is, what will their government do if Thais or foreigners in their country participate in such protests or mob against the power.

In my country, if you're Mexican, you have nothing happen to you. In fact, you might get invited to give your sob story in front of a congressional committee.

In my country, if you're Mexican, you have nothing happen to you. In fact, you might get invited to give your sob story in front of a congressional committee.

Maybe so but that's also something great about the USA, IMO.....

• Like 1