Thai Buddhist Chanting

robitusson

The book I mentioned above was the base of the marital contract with my wife, the ethic concordance of our life together.

1. Take care of your wife or husband.

2. Take care of your mother and father when they are weak.

3. Give to your children the best education up to their potential.

4.You are a free woman and I am free man. We are not jealous, we trust the Buddha Teaching.

We gave a lot of teaching to thai/farang couples, some couple understood easyly, most not.

One couple will send their twins during the next school holidays to Wat Phatam, to learn the law of nature by doing.

Give food to dogs and to cats, not scare snakes and scorpions etc.

Vasalasutthapatha

The disccourse on Outcast.

Temiyagatha

The advantages of friendship.

He who maintains genuine friendship (truthfullness and loyalty towards friends) will, whenever he goes far out of his home-

receive abundant hospitality. Many others will be benefited through him.

He who maintains genuine friendship will, whatever country , village or town he visits, be honoured.

------------------------

My experience after 21 tears of Thailand: Old science works.

• 1 year later...

Temiyagatha sutta.

I gave the same book to my English student (a Thai) before he took his job in Wisconsin with special advertisement for this sutta. When he came back he only said: I have confidence to the Teaching of the Buddha.

In Wisconsin I met friends of all countries and all colours. The Buddha's Teaching is Truth and you open me the door.

I answer: A little bit English and a good book, the important work was made by yourself.

• 11 months later...

Update:

The Happy New Year ceremonies in the Wat.

My wife disapeared.

I look with members of the family in the Wat.

Family members stay. I look for my wife.

She was at home, chanting in her room, no books, her Pali came from heart--- with understanding the meaning.

The book.I mentioned above is a jewel for all who wants to go to deeper understanding.

Pali/English text and MP3 files are available at BuddhaSasana.

Very interesting website, hadn't come across it before. Nice encapsulated explanations of Theravada Buddhism as well. The one by Maung Kyauk Seinn was especially informative.

The chanting section reminded me that Thammayut monks at Wat Bowon once told me that in Thailand there is a difference between what monks in the Thammayut sect chant and what monks in the Mahanikai sect chant. I didn't hear what the differences were, but got the impression it was not the words that differed but the selection of verses for morning, evening and fortnightly chanting.

Yes, this is true... I have two chanting books.. one I got at Wat Saket in Bangkok, Mahanikai, one I got from Wat Pah Nanachat, Thammayut. Their selections for morning and evening are different, but they kind of blend in together somewhere..

If your in Bangkok, Wat Saket has a really good chanting book. Of course if your in upper Isaan, so does Wat Pah Nanachat..

Wat Pah Nanachat will mail you a book if you write and ask them..

Here's the problem with farangs at Thai temples. The abbot or no.#2 monk, usually sets the chants to be chanted both morning and evening, Each temple will vary on what chants they use. They don't tell you in advance or during, you just have to kind of fumble around in your book till you find the correct one. If you go to one temple all the time, you mark the pages and follow along pretty easily.. You go to another temple and they change them up on you.. after awhile though, you kind of get a feeling for them. My temple in Lopburi, uses the same chants in the morning every day, and the same chants in the evening everyday. I know where they are going by memory.. I go to another temple for a few days, and they change them up on me.. but I've been a monk long enough now that I can pretty much figure out where they are in the book.

It gets confusing, but no matter where you are, sooner or later, they will come back to some chants you know or are familiar with..

Someone with more smarts than me, needs to take the little yellow Thai chanting book, and copy it exactly into a romanized version for us who can't read Thai. Wishful thinking.

Does anyone know where online I could find what I need to say for the ordination ceremony?

There are actually two different ceremonies...

You need to find out which one you will use first.

You can pick up which ever one you need at several temples in Bangkok.

Wat Mahathat section 5

Wat Saket, the golden mount

Wat Bowon

Every chanting book I have ever read, has the ordination ceremony in them.

It's nice to know and understand the ordination ceremony, but what usually happens, not always, but usually,

Someone, called the Acariya, will stand next to you and have you repeat the chants after him.

I wasn't told this, so I spent approx. 3 weeks living at the temple, learning the ordination chant by heart.

When I ordained, I had the Acariya standing next to me, and I was pleasantly surprised.

They were surprised also, that I knew them.. lot's of smile all around..

Good Luck...

The yellow book i finished transcribing into correctly romanized pali last year. But there were complications in my getting it available to a wider audience. Caution tells me not to even think about releasing it via email due to the problems that can spring from it.

As for chanting differences, Mahan. uses Thai sounds for their chanting,; ex Put-tho, twee (for the sound of the t or th with the dot under it) while there. uses Indian pronunciation, Bud-dho, along with labial and dental, nasal sounds etc. Of course many monks here in both sects use Thai sounds, but there are a few around who still follow the original pronunciation before the before Thai language pronunciation shift came into occurrence.

A monk who ordained new in the there. Sect told me he prefers the Maha. pronunciation, as the there. makes him feel uneasy.

Some case endings are also switched when chanting between the two sects, and i noticed that when visiting maha. Temples, they chant in stopped form, while there. Chant without pauses - but this varies as well. While in Chiang Mai last year I had the opportunity to go and hear a very respectes monk chant the abhidhamma matrix, and I was lucky to have a recorder there as it was completely uknown to my ears. I believe it was a maha. Temple, though he was trained in Lanna culture so the difference was astounding.

The yellow book i finished transcribing into correctly romanized pali last year. But there were complications in my getting it available to a wider audience. Caution tells me not to even think about releasing it via email due to the problems that can spring from it.

As for chanting differences, Mahan. uses Thai sounds for their chanting,; ex Put-tho, twee (for the sound of the t or th with the dot under it) while there. uses Indian pronunciation, Bud-dho, along with labial and dental, nasal sounds etc. Of course many monks here in both sects use Thai sounds, but there are a few around who still follow the original pronunciation before the before Thai language pronunciation shift came into occurrence.

A monk who ordained new in the there. Sect told me he prefers the Maha. pronunciation, as the there. makes him feel uneasy.

Some case endings are also switched when chanting between the two sects, and i noticed that when visiting maha. Temples, they chant in stopped form, while there. Chant without pauses - but this varies as well. While in Chiang Mai last year I had the opportunity to go and hear a very respectes monk chant the abhidhamma matrix, and I was lucky to have a recorder there as it was completely uknown to my ears. I believe it was a maha. Temple, though he was trained in Lanna culture so the difference was astounding.

The temple I am staying at now, they chant without pauses.. My temple in Lopburi, pause between chants, which gives me a chance to find where their at in my chanting book.. I like pauses better. biggrin.png It's amazing to me, how many monks, even if they have only been monks for a couple of years, memorize all these chants... I probably only have memorized 12 chants or so and I've been a monk going on 5 years. Maybe I'm lazy.. yes, I am lazy. laugh.png

I would be very interested in your book.. do you need some help financially getting it printed?

I would be very interested in your book.. do you need some help financially getting it printed?

I am currently on my way to loei but will email when i can get to a computer .

Does anyone know where online I could find what I need to say for the ordination ceremony?

ordination-procedure.pdf

That's a good book, but it's very hard for a novice to understand and pronounce. If you can get to Bangkok, go to Wat Saket or Wat Mahathat and ask for their book.. Like I said before, there are two ordination ceremonies.. you have to know which one the temple you are ordaining at uses.

If your in Isaan, go to Wat Pah Nanachat and ask them for a book. If your in Chiang Mai.. try to get in touch with FabiaFred.. He will help you.. good luck.

By "ther/there" you're referring to Thammayut Nikai, correct? At the Thammayut monasteries I've visited in Thailand the resident monks chanted using the usual Thai pronunciation. I didn't realise there were some that tried to cleave more closely to the (perceived) Pali pronunciation..

• 4 weeks later...

The temple I am staying at now, they chant without pauses.. My temple in Lopburi, pause between chants, which gives me a chance to find where their at in my chanting book.. I like pauses better. biggrin.png It's amazing to me, how many monks, even if they have only been monks for a couple of years, memorize all these chants... I probably only have memorized 12 chants or so and I've been a monk going on 5 years. Maybe I'm lazy.. yes, I am lazy. laugh.png

Not lazy... It is just that the Thai monks often learn as novices so it is much easier because of their youth.... Plus it is their language after all...

I would also be interested in a transcript of the yellow book too...

• 2 years later...

I have two books. My favorite is the Buddhist Pali Chanting with Thai and English Translations.

Maliwan McIvor

Copyrighted 2003

Library of Congress number: Txul-091-098

The book is layed out page by page with Thai on one page and English on the opposing page. Great for people like me who read Thai (slowly) but I find it invaluable because I used the Thai to understand the correct pronunciation of the passages and where the tones rise and fall, but I use the English Pali transliteration because I can not yet read Thai fast enough to keep up.

The other book is A Bhikkhu manual that was generously given to me when I ordained.
Sanghaloka Forest Hermitage
PO Box 152, Kallista

Vic. 3791, Australia

I've attached pictures. Hope this helps.
post-87058-0-39433500-1432723208_thumb.j

Pages from Buddhist Pali Chanting with Thai and English Translations

post-87058-0-82535700-1432723263_thumb.j

Best of luck -- metta.

attachicon.gifordination-procedure.pdf

That's a good book, but it's very hard for a novice to understand and pronounce. If you can get to Bangkok, go to Wat Saket or Wat Mahathat and ask for their book.. Like I said before, there are two ordination ceremonies.. you have to know which one the temple you are ordaining at uses.

If your in Isaan, go to Wat Pah Nanachat and ask them for a book. If your in Chiang Mai.. try to get in touch with FabiaFred.. He will help you.. good luck.

That's a good book, imho. I used it when I ordained. Memorized the passages prior to ordination.

What I did was to ask the wat's office assistance, who was also in charge of preparing those of us who were ordaining, to read the passages for me and my wife recorded them on her smartphone. It took maybe 15 minutes. Not too long. He only recited the passages I needed to learn, not the entire ceremony. I used the book and the recording, and practiced every day for a couple of months. I came back a few days before ordaining and recited passages for a couple of minutes and got a thumbs up. Thai monastery. I was the only farang ordaining as the wat did not normally ordain farang. We talked a little about the upcoming ceremony, and I was good to go. It was a fulfilling experience.

Not a bad reference for chanting either, but you need to hang out, read, follow along (or bumble along Lol), say what your can, and don't be too serious about it all. In time, and with repetition, you'll 'get it'. I like chanting. It's just another form of meditation.

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone,

I know this thread is really old, but I'll be getting married in February and if anyone knows what prayers will be said by everyone, I'd be extremely grateful! It being my own wedding I'd like to participate fully. ???? 

Thanks so much!

Jen

Archived