Do you go strapless?

Tywais

Perhaps an odd question but how do you normally carry your camera, mainly referring to interchangeable lens cameras due to size/weight? Do you use a strap or carry it naked? If using a strap do you have it hanging over a shoulder or do you have it cross your chest, that is strap on one shoulder camera at the waist on the opposite side? A 3rd way is just around the neck and camera hanging in front of your body. That one feels a little dorky to me.

The reason for the question is I've never have gotten a comfortable position for the strap/camera arrangement. If it just hangs on the shoulder I feel I'm going to lose it or drop it at anytime. It has the advantage though of quickly removing the camera to get better positioned for a shot. But than you have the 'strap in the photo' incident. biggrin.png

Cross strapping has the advantage of security and can use tension to help steady the camera but the disadvantage is it can take time to slip it around and ready for a quick shot. Also a disadvantage in that it can swing around and hit something. Strap around the neck only gives a feeling of security and quick to bring the camera up and ready.

An alternative is a hand strap

Example methods

Strapping Up: A look at Camera Straps

Pros and Cons

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My boat anchor 5D Mark III weighs a bunch especially with my 16-35 or my 70-200 attached. I purchased a Black Rapid sling strap awhile ago and really like using it. It makes carrying the camera easy and when I wish to take a quick shot I simply lift the camera to my eye and shoot. If I want to use a tripod, I unclip the camera (which is fastened via the base plate on my camera) and pop it on the quick mount of the tripod. http://www.blackrapid.com/products/classic .

I don't use zoom lenses and as such I change lenses a lot whilst on a shoot and would find this nigh on impossible as well as precarious without a shoulder type strap which I always use. My preference is a longer type strap that I can wear across my chest and swing away when not in use and easily pull through and up to my eye when needed. Similar to the Black Rapid but I prefer fixed at the camera lugs. Swinging around on a single base connection would not provide the support for quick lens changes.

When I'm street shooting and "grabbing" shots I tend to stick to just a 35mm lens and not needing the lens change I wrap the strap around my wrist for speed.

Going "naked" is never an option. Dropping the camera, having it knocked out of your hand is too risky.

• Like 2

I don't use zoom lenses and as such I change lenses a lot whilst on a shoot and would find this nigh on impossible as well as precarious without a shoulder type strap which I always use. My preference is a longer type strap that I can wear across my chest and swing away when not in use and easily pull through and up to my eye when needed. Similar to the Black Rapid but I prefer fixed at the camera lugs. Swinging around on a single base connection would not provide the support for quick lens changes.

When I'm street shooting and "grabbing" shots I tend to stick to just a 35mm lens and not needing the lens change I wrap the strap around my wrist for speed.

Going "naked" is never an option. Dropping the camera, having it knocked out of your hand is too risky.

How do you carry your lenses?

How do you carry your lenses?

Varies. Using a Rangefinder or APS-C kit I have a couple of Contax G belt pouches, each holding 2 lenses. That gives me 5 with the one on the camera e.g. 28, 35, 50, 75 and 90mm. Quick to access and light. Using heavier gear (Canon MKII) I have a Contax G shoulder bag that holds 2 lenses plus the camera lens. 35, 50 and 85mm.

• Like 1

From the responses above, sounds like I haven't got comfortable with a strap due to not having a proper one, just the OEM one coming with the camera.

The OEM straps always assume that you are a shoulder carrier. Leica are the only strap that is of any decent length. Invariably I end up shopping for longer straps. I also look for swivel attachments as it really peeves me when the strap tangles up. The swivel links avoid this problem. I also never buy the grip type ones. Too restraining. The thin leather ones work better IMHO

I have been a neck carrier for years because when I started photography no

third party strap manufacturers seemed to exist. When out shooting I have

the neck strap over my shoulder and around my neck...as in the Black

Rapid opener video pic above...right camera over left side of neck, left

camera over right side of neck. For me this is as comfortable as it gets

no matter what lenses are attached to the cameras I'm carrying. Lately

...as of now that is...I'm using Crumpler(brand) straps. In the past I've

used Op-Tech (too bouncy but comfort of 100%), Lowe Pro & Think Tank

straps (both OK) and thier chest harness things. I detest the chest harness

type carry stuff because it's patterned after the military LBV (Load Bearing

Vest) only without the vest...just the harness & to me it's not that comfortable

if it's hot & hunid out...which out here it usually is any day.

I have tried the Black Rapid system but it doesn't agree with me since I have

to remove the wedge plate if I wanna put the camera on a monopod/tripod

and in a hurry....that's not good.

All my cameras have a hand strap attached to them along with the long

Crumpler neck strap. By keeping the hand strap loose enough it's easy

for me to get my mits in there for the required steadyness they provide

when hand-held shots happen...which is 95% of the time in my line of

work.

Any extra lenses or stuff needed to be carried goes into pouches attached

to whatever belt I wear to hold my trousers/shorts up with. The pouches I

use are a mix of Lowe Pro & Think Tank make.

Camera bags I use only when in transit to haul my gear and left in the

hotel room when on location. Camera bags instantly give away info

to a thief that there is most likely big $$$$ inside the bag. Also...

branded neck straps are a dead giveaway to a thief that whatever

you have hanging around your neck is worth big $$$$. Toss that NIKON

D4 or D800, CANON EOS 1Dx , CANON EOS 5D strap that came with

your camera into the trash can & buy a good third party neck strap.

Those branded straps are worse than neon signs advertising cold beer

and-or naked dancers/female mud wrestling!

Lastly...BTW...keep a written record of all your camera kit's serial numbers

with you just in case your kit is taken for a walk by anybody except yourself.

Please ...just don't hack it out in MS Word and save it on your laptop or

tablet or handphone....those have a habit of disappearing too. keep the

record in your hotel when traveling and in a secure place at home when there.

And get your dam_n gear insured!

• Like 2

On my Black Rapid, I attach the strap to the tripod mounting plate (Manfrotto) since the plate has a metal loop that can be turned to attach to the camera and then folded away flat against the bottom of the plate. I do not use the 'wedge plate' provided by Black Rapid.

Edited by astral
Removal of long quote

Twais - very similar to Black Rapid but I would get annoyed at having to mount and unmount the anchor plate when I wanted to use the tripod. If you do mostly handheld then it looks like a very nice system.

From what I could tell from YouTube videos the anchor plate is a Swiss Arca tripod mount and you can mount your other style quick release plate on top of it if the Arca doesn't fit your tripod head. So no unmounting, just remove the strap and slip onto the tripod.

Tywais, yeah, I was a little confused by the video and another one I watched. In each video they ended up mounting the tripod plate to the bottom of the carry speed plate. The other things I saw in a review was that because the carry speed plate attaches to the strap off center of the plate, there was a tendency of the bottom plate to move and not stay aligned the way you originally set it unless you really crank down the mounting screw and second, the size of their bottom plate can get in the way of opening your battery door on some cameras.

I think these are really nits and if you like it, go for it!

Edited by Fiddlesticks

Useful video on Finding the best camera strap. Seems quite a few really like the Carry Speed straps and at least on par with the Black Rapid. Seems to be compromises in any choices though not deal breakers. Probably will go with the Carry Speed due to quick availability and pretty positive reviews across the board.

Have to admit, I do like the Black Rapid quick clip attachment/release though.

Not a fan of complicated arrangements and chunky straps. Found a company called Barton 1972 who hand craft some very pleasing offerings.

On my E-M1 and its predecessors I have a leather strap with a design that makes for a comfortable and less sweaty feeling around your neck, and it has some spring in it which makes the experience of carrying a camera less jarring.

11362479023_5eb89c17d2_z.jpg
P1190880 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

On my TLR I have a strap with a look that I feel is fitting for the age of the camera and is of a length that facilitates using the viewfinder (i.e. it's short).

11362342145_e4269a716f_z.jpg
P1190883 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

No dealer in Thailand that I have found, but then that is what the internet is for:

http://www.barton1972.com/catalog/index.php

• 2 weeks later...

I have this very lunchtime purchased a CarrySpeed FS Pro for the ludicrous sum of 2,699 Baht from Big Camera.

Well I thought f-ck it! The kids have new bikes, electric guitars and rollerblades and all manner of cr@p for Christmas, why can't Dad have a camera strap that doesn't further his Quasimodo posture and I must say . . . 'tis very very good 'un all. Honestly I like this modern comfortable stuff over the price gouged retro look. I had a look at Billingham bags when last in the Blighty and what an overpriced flimsy load of old they were. Much sooner have the Lowepro all weather bags any day.

Anyway, back to the strap . . .

CarrySpeed2.jpg

This is so, so much better than a neck strap that comes with a camera. I mean the weight is distributed across the shoulder in a way that makes the thing feel feather light, it's just so comfortable. The camera also hangs down in the right position and it's easy to protect from bumps.

I can highly recommend this.

Edited by astral
Removal of long quote

Just to add, the CarrySpeed FS-Pro comes with a wrist strap as well as another strap to attach both to the base of the camera and a tele lens with mounting plate.

wrist.jpg

This thing is going to push the shutter count way up on this K-5 IIs. Much easier to use now.

Carry mine off the shoulder if i am walking, 95% of the time its with my 18-200 lens

Use the regular nikon strap but the name is blacked out as well as the NIKON on the camera front.

All the other ways with the way i shoot i cant get it up to my eye fast enough for the shot.

If i am shooting street work , its in my hand

Carry mine off the shoulder if i am walking, 95% of the time its with my 18-200 lens

Use the regular nikon strap but the name is blacked out as well as the NIKON on the camera front.

All the other ways with the way i shoot i cant get it up to my eye fast enough for the shot.

Rich,

Get a CarrySpeed or BlackRapid. If I'd known how much easier these things make shooting I'd have got one years ago. So comfortable you hardly notice the weight. It just works.

The old Pentax strap is like some sort of self-flagellation torture device.

• 2 weeks later...

Rich,

Get a CarrySpeed or BlackRapid. If I'd known how much easier these things make shooting I'd have got one years ago. So comfortable you hardly notice the weight. It just works.

Santa...or Rudy...don't exactly know who...placed a CarrySpeed Ultra Wide

under our tricked up mango tree.....I'm kinda hooked...still not quite sure though

...have to combat test it for that...but...so far so good.

Rich,

under our tricked up mango tree.....I'm kinda hooked...still not quite sure though

I couldn't wait for Santa. I said, "F-you Santa, give me get me I want it now" . . . been permanently bolted to the battery grip since I got it.

Rich,

I couldn't wait for Santa. I said, "F-you Santa, give me get me I want it now" . . . been permanently bolted to the battery grip since I got it.

Seriously....U like it? I'm trying to come to terms with mine...so far so-so.

Maybe it's just getting used to a sling.

It takes some adjustment, both as in strap length and getting used too. But yes. Much more comfortable.

Remember, your neck is like Rhino hide after forty years of a heavy Nikon sander belt round it.

I'm a little more delicate. Like petals on a rose.

• Like 1

Hi sunshine - Happy New Year! Regarding your new Santa gift . . .

Yeah, they take a little getting used to but after a little while they really are comfortable and handy. I have the Black Rapid but they are very similar. The hardest part for me was trusting that the camera wouldn't bounce around too much and get damaged but that fear has long been allayed. Plus it also has a long enough sling that I can freely hand-hold the camera but at a moments notice, let it simply hang from the sling. This also gives me the security of knowing that if for some crazy reason the camera slips from my grip as I am hand-holding it, it will not fall to the ground and be damaged. Win win.

• Like 1

Hi sunshine - Happy New Year! Regarding your new Santa gift . . .

Yeah, they take a little getting used to but after a little while they really are comfortable and handy. I have the Black Rapid but they are very similar. The hardest part for me was trusting that the camera wouldn't bounce around too much and get damaged but that fear has long been allayed. Plus it also has a long enough sling that I can freely hand-hold the camera but at a moments notice, let it simply hang from the sling. This also gives me the security of knowing that if for some crazy reason the camera slips from my grip as I am hand-holding it, it will not fall to the ground and be damaged. Win win.

I got so sick of the OEM neck strap that came with the camera I went naked for about a year, until someone on here mentioned that in doing so you could in fact drop your camera and it would break upon contact with the floor having accelerated under the force of gravity and that this would be an expensive event.

So 2699 Baht is a good insurance policy.

Edited by MJP

post-25605-0-61509000-1388586154_thumb.p

I just bought the Red CarrySpeed Sling...... i can tell you its heaven sent. Just bought a Nikon D610 with the 24-70mm Lens, you might as well be carrying a brick around, especially if you add a SB-900 to it.

The Nikon OEM strap really sucks, and in the above config, i bet you will get about 20 mins before the blood no longer can get to your brain ( too much pressure on neck )

The Sling above is real good............ love it, and can walk for ever with the camera now, no probs.

Edited by skippybangkok
  • Like 1