Do you go strapless?

Tywais

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-01-01 at 9.20.52 pm.png

I just bought the Red CarrySpeed Sling...... i can tell you its heaven sent. Just bought a Nikon D610 with the 24-70mm Lens, you might as well be carrying a brick around, especially if you add a SB-900 to it.

The Nikon OEM strap really sucks, and in the above config, i bet you will get about 20 mins before the blood no longer can get to your brain ( too much pressure on neck )

The Sling above is real good............ love it, and can walk for ever with the camera now, no probs.

I think these things may save the DSLR market from the predations of the small camera or telephone. It's almost like you're not carrying the thing. Clever stuff really, simple but clever.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It takes some adjustment, both as in strap length and getting used too. But yes. Much more comfortable.

Remember, your neck is like Rhino hide after forty years of a heavy Nikon sander belt round it.

I'm a little more delicate. Like petals on a rose.

A long day out in the heat...even when the sun's not out and the back of me neck,

which is usually like you said...Rhino Hide...gets a nasty sweat/heat rash and

always has. Even when I run the strap around me head (opposite side carry)

the rash still creeps up at times but the comfort kinda takes second seat.

I'm playing with the CS now...so far so good. Thanks all. Mind you this is

akin to trying to teach an old dog Mandarin.

MJP I think hanno was trying to say he could no longer go WITHOUT his Black Rapid

I'm afraid English isn't my first language, so I get a bit confused by some posts.

No worries MJP. I did indeed mean that I could not live without it.

MJP I think hanno was trying to say he could no longer go WITHOUT his Black Rapid

I'm afraid English isn't my first language, so I get a bit confused by some posts.

No worries MJP. I did indeed mean that I could not live without it.

No one understands my first language. It goes sort of "Ug, ug, ug . ak ak, ug."

Even I don't understand it half the time.

• Like 1

Ok guys - back to camera straps.

I have CS but black rapid looks good to. My CS band on the shoulder is rubber which gives a bit, and there is nothing like a big red rubber band to say "hey look at me " smile.png

CarrySpeed do black ones, nimes black. Called the FS-Pro whatever that means.

It should go easily over your flak jacket down there in Bangkok.

• Like 1

I have CS but black rapid looks good to. My CS band on the shoulder is rubber which gives a bit, and there is nothing like a big red rubber band to say "hey look at me " smile.png

blink.png

Hey, try wearing a Black Rapid and a red garter belt. That will definitely say "hey look at me" wink.pngcheesy.gif

• Like 1

blink.png

Hey, try wearing a Black Rapid and a red garter belt. That will definitely say "hey look at me" wink.pngcheesy.gif

It's not Saturday night yet Fiddles.

1. This is a serious forum for technical discussions

Several flippant posts have been removed

2. If you use the Quote button, please trim down the quote to the relevant paragraph

or even better sentence.

Consider using the Reply box at the bottom and if necessary referring to the poster

using @postername

Thanks

It's nice to see someone also focusing on the aesthetics of the strap as well as it's functionality ... thumbsup.gif

Sort of like having a technically great photo of an unappealing subject.

Black can be so boring sometimes.

For those brave enough to stand out from the crowd ...

kilikahechoamano_diy_correa_camara.jpg

and I reckon it looks great!

final-strap.jpg

diy-sunday-camera-strap

This would certainly say ... "hey look at me "

• Like 1

David,

I am reasonable secure in my masculinity but I absolutely refuse to walk the streets with my camera hooked to one of these dandy scarves. Aesthetics be damned! w00t.gifsick.gif

It's not a bad idea. Imagine that slings in a more suitable material and pattern.

I can't for the life of me figure out why for so long camera manufacturers have included a torture device with each purchase.

Where's their brain?

Edited by MJP

David,

I am reasonable secure in my masculinity but I absolutely refuse to walk the streets with my camera hooked to one of these dandy scarves. Aesthetics be damned! w00t.gifsick.gif

Could always have one in your or Thailand's national colours or their/your Flag?

But, being a DIY project ... I do worry and the stitching of the leather to fabric.

Get that wrong and it's bye, bye Camera ... facepalm.gif

David,

Could always have one in your or Thailand's national colours or their/your Flag?

But, being a DIY project ... I do worry and the stitching of the leather to fabric.

Get that wrong and it's bye, bye Camera ... facepalm.gif

Look around for a person who has a heavy duty sewing machine

and is good with it. Come up with a design & give em some work.

Back in the old daze (early 1970's) all camera straps were narrow

neck cutters until somebody decided to try & market those brightly

coloured 2" wide straps...which sold in the millions btw. Then the

camera makers realised almost everybody was tossing the makers

straps in the trash so the camera makers started to make wider

neck straps; loudly displaying the model of camera around some-

ones neck...theives loved that & still do. I got ahold of some 2"

wide nylon parachute harness webbing and had a few great

straps made from that stuff by a feller who had a heavy duty Pfaff

sewing machine...even the first one lasted years without anything

going wrong. The second strap we added some 7.62 ammo pouches

to the strap so's I could toss in some film cans & wotnot...that was

a great idea back then & I reckon still is today whether ones uses

a sling or a neck strap. He made a few variations along the same

theme and they were all great straps. Only thing was...the straps

& stuff attached were all OD green....nothing wrong in my opinion

though. The shoulder pads that you can buy in any auto parts

store...for the shoulder strap of the seat belt...make good stress

relievers and come in many colours/logos & thicknesses(sp!).

On another note of similar nature....just as there is no "perfect"

camera carry strap/harness everybody loves....there is no such

thing as a "perfect" camera bag either. Some are close but not

spot on & if some really clever photog does invent the perfect

camera bag....he or she will never have to take pix again for a

living...and that's dam_n near guaranteed.

^^

@Sunshine

Have you seen the National Geographic range of straps, cases and handbags?

I've got an NG sling I bought a few years back, it's alright so it is!

NG4568.jpg

Had for when my togging extended only as far as a Lumix LX5.

Oh how I miss those economically sensible days!

I could get the LX5, spare bats, SD cards, telephone thing, lipstick, foundation and a spare pair of tights in there.

Edited by MJP

Sunshine,

You have a VERY good point and hit on one of the biggest gripes I have about taking photos, carrying the system around with you! I have tried a few different bags (slings, shoulder bags, and back packs) yet have not found one that is both comfortable AND easy to use. I can get one but never the other. I've looked at vests and if I lived in cooler climes I would give them a go but here in sauna-land, wearing a vest would be too, too hot.

But I never stop looking! I also hope that someone will design the perfect DSLR bag FOR ME! I know that if it is perfect for me it will be overkill for others or maybe even insufficient. I have a feeling that before this ever happens, that cameras will become so technically advanced that one modest sized camera will be all we need to capture all the images that today, require numerous lenses, filters and gizmos. Yeah, that's it, give me a modest sized camera with a FF sensor, 10-300MM zoom with built in selectable doubler (like the new crazy Canon lens), a dynamic range equal to my own vision, f1.4 (since I am being reasonable) and ridiculously high ISO. Then attach that to my Black Rapid and get theses bags off my back! ! ! !

• Like 1

Sunshine,

You have a VERY good point and hit on one of the biggest gripes I have about taking photos, carrying the system around with you! I have tried a few different bags (slings, shoulder bags, and back packs) yet have not found one that is both comfortable AND easy to use. I can get one but never the other. I've looked at vests and if I lived in cooler climes I would give them a go but here in sauna-land, wearing a vest would be too, too hot.

But I never stop looking! I also hope that someone will design the perfect DSLR bag FOR ME! I know that if it is perfect for me it will be overkill for others or maybe even insufficient. I have a feeling that before this ever happens, that cameras will become so technically advanced that one modest sized camera will be all we need to capture all the images that today, require numerous lenses, filters and gizmos. Yeah, that's it, give me a modest sized camera with a FF sensor, 10-300MM zoom with built in selectable doubler (like the new crazy Canon lens), a dynamic range equal to my own vision, f1.4 (since I am being reasonable) and ridiculously high ISO. Then attach that to my Black Rapid and get theses bags off my back! ! ! !

Rabbit'll be along shortly to explain the many virtues of the Olympus M4/3's system.

Expect Tywais to chip in.

They may also have a point!