Thailand ranks the world’s third in highest road fatalities

Lite Beer

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give it up... There are problems on both sides of this equation. Crap drivers with no desire to change and crap police with no desire to stop extorting money.

I have yet to read a thread about traffic enforcement that doesn't include some farang right early in the thread claiming its being done to extort money from foreigners.

Doing their duty, as policemen, enforcing traffic laws, obeying their superiors orders, doesn't play a part in traffic enforcement? It's only about the money?

If I was a Thai cop - indeed I'd pull every farang over and find a way to give them a ticket, just to spite their "they only do it to extort money" attitude, which in itself would reinforce that attitude, but at least I'd get back at the f*cking farang. If that's what they want to think, well, "200 baht please!"

Sort of disgusting to think that 15 other TV readers liked this opinion.

1.Let's start first by not allowing motorcycles to block the pedestrian crossing while waiting for traffic light.Wait,is there even a pedestrian crossing in thailand?

2.Learn thais to use turning signal while actually turning

3.Drink & drive - let drivers actually pay the penalty and consequences instead of taking that 200 baht bribe

4.12 year old on 125cc bike.Well it must be legal in thai

It's really not that hard to see motorcycle taxi people opening bottle of whiskey,especially in pattaya(although most of pattaya dark side has different laws than most of thailand).Let them pay penalty,hit them in the pocket where it hurts

I would add:

5) National sport: totally out of head lane change, with frequent crashes with taxis, motorbikes or other private cars.

6) Drive against traffic (now it happens regularly in Bkk with motorcycles, but after Bangkapi for example, it becomes countryside with even pickup (who else?) frequently doing it

7) Abolish those modified motorcycle/cart without light and so dangerous for general street safety.

...but there's much more! biggrin.png

This entire tread is so similar to one yesterday... and I appreciate seeing something in the way of suggestions.

Putting in again my suggestions at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688444-thailand-keen-on-reducing-road-fatalities/page-4#entry7152841

with the ones above... because someone with influence might actually choose to implement a few:

I wish Thailand well, and read all the comments knowing that experience is otherwise.

For a few suggestions at relatively low cost...

1) Traffic signage posters distributed to each school (or social studies teacher for students in Bo 4 and up.) These need show and explain the meaning of each traffic sign, as well as road line markings. Added option is to explain stopping distances in dry as well as wet pavement conditions. Lastly, explain how to estimate needed viewing range before passing, including the problems of hills and curves in the road.

2) Make a version of the poster that is also sent home to parents.

3) Have police announce a plan to impound vehicles of unlicensed drivers - awaiting documents and some regionally scaled to daily wage fee for release of impounded vehicles to the legal owners.

4) Have police start their search for driving credentials at the gates of local schools... though unannounced processing of same elsewhere would help.

5) Change the process of license testing so the morning is not just a cram session for the afternoon test. The poster described earlier COULD be nearly comprehensive enough to cover the drivers ed manuals that are now lacking in the regional centers - meaning that currently the only training any driver has is the cram session of the morning of their test. Thus the posters can become an ongoing reference for rules of the road.

Probably most of the this won't happen, and items that come to mind beyond this require more expenditures and policing to enforce... so I'll stop while only partially behind. ... though I would expect the cost benefits of these 5 would help lower Thailand's high ranking in per capita highway mortality.

1.Let's start first by not allowing motorcycles to block the pedestrian crossing while waiting for traffic light.Wait,is there even a pedestrian crossing in thailand?

2.Learn thais to use turning signal while actually turning

3.Drink & drive - let drivers actually pay the penalty and consequences instead of taking that 200 baht bribe

4.12 year old on 125cc bike.Well it must be legal in thai

It's really not that hard to see motorcycle taxi people opening bottle of whiskey,especially in pattaya(although most of pattaya dark side has different laws than most of thailand).Let them pay penalty,hit them in the pocket where it hurts

It's a mite hard to learn Thai folks much stuff theze daze!

Just thought I'd check these statistics, and there seems to a problem with them - Thailand was 73rd in 2009 with a death rate of 19.6 per 100,000 kilos, so it's extremely unlikely to have jumped in one year to 3rd with a death rate of 38.

I drive about 5,000 km a month in Thailand and have done for a few years; my experience is quite different from most of the posters here, but that no longer suprises me.

I'd be interested to see some statistics about vehicle ownership among farangs in Thailand; some that I've met use bicycles or motorbikes for short hops around the towns, most have no transport at all; I rarely see farangs driving cars or pickups. I know that many farangs do have a lot of experience of driving barstools, and I can only assume that's where their experience and insights are gained.

Not too bad in Bangkok, I drive a motosai here, just keep your eyes open, look in the mirrors, go with the flow, jai yen yen, don´t go crazy, shout or give the middle-finger!

Outside the capital, it´s pure and utter mayhem, and that´s why I don´t go there.

Look in mirrors while driving is very much dangerous!

Mirrors on motosai in Thailand are very much intended for popping of the pimples only!

You pop pimples when drive you get very good accident I think!

post-147745-0-83878400-1386905049_thumb.

I have driven all over Thailand for the last 10 years. Had two minor accidents - both undeniably my fault. I really dont think driving here is that difficult. Where i come from you spend all your attention on looking out for cops and watching your speedo. Here you just concentrate on the drive. Thai drivers are very predictable. Dont see what all the fuss is about...

We Foreigners all seem to know very well what to expect from the driving standard in Thailand (or lack thereof).
Therefore as this seems very clear we surely have to adjust our style accordingly.
"All people may see and hear and fear and enjoy, but it's very possible that we aren't seeing and hearing and fearing and enjoying in the same way as they are" Henry Holmes: from his book 'Working with Thais'
My efforts to adjust to the conditions and therefore reduce the risk while driving in Thailand are:
1. Drive a vehicle with higher ground clearance, i.e. Pick up or SUV. This will allow you to have a better chance to observe whats going on further ahead (brake lights of 5-6 vehicles in front). If they suddenly make a strange manoeuvre you have a better chance to react in time. Saloon vehicles only allow observation of the vehicle directly in front....too little too late if they suddenly stop or swerve to avoid something
2. Expect the unexpected!
3. Don't be tempted to break the rules yourself...and it is tempting.

I´m very defensive, i never cut anyone, i never change lanes all the time, i always indicate erarly to make it clear what i´m going to do, i check my mirrors more frequently than at home, i don´t tailgate, i follow the normal traffic flow and don´t try to use my western style "it should be like this way" that will confuse everyone=stopping for pedestrains causes more mayhem than just ignoring it. Giving way causes confusion too, they will be in some kind of shock when someone stops or slows down to let them pass, they won´t move and wait because they never expected that. And Somchai behind you gets angry and others even overtake and might cause a crash then.

But unfortunately all that doesn´t help either, they will still cut their way in front of you dangerously close while they overtake others, motosais will go zig zag through traffic and hit you because they overestimated theirself, someone tries to overtake very fast on the hard shoulder and suddenly realises that there is not enough room and so much more. You just cannot avoid disaster, though i´m still lucky.

I'm just telling you guys again, that:

- U-turns on the open highways are the killer, because U-turners use EVERY opportunity with no regards to human life to push the gear pedal into overdrive.

- many truck drivers take too many drugs and wobble on the roads swinging back and forth at night, that you're too scared to overtake them

- pick ups are overloaded and race for the pace, with no regards to human life

- Rich kids without any social dignity rush into anyone whom they do not like without regards to Human life, right after the motto "You know who my father is???"

- even buses and Song -teaw pick ups are very nasty and just change the lane, whenever they want without further warning, and without regards to human life

- finally in some areas, people drive during red lights, as if it were nothing, without regards to Human life

- and finally, most people buy cars, because public transportation is unsafe and deadly without regards to Human life

There you have it folks whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

I think Max is on to something here!

Without regard for human life....

Is the way that most Thais drive!

How many people have actually seen traffic police here actually doing their job? Not at the intersections directing traffic, or collecting tea money?

Let's be even more specific, is there a highway police in Thailand?

Start fining on the spot for violations by all these idiotic "motobike" drivers and the status-displaying car owners who can't fit their (overcompensating) SUVs in their soi....problem solved. Of course the government might not get elected again, but that's a different story.

Probably been said already: it's those 12 yr old girls holding umbrellas on scooters! It it weren't for them, Thailand would be statistically on a par with England.Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Uh, would probably not be.

Give it up... There are problems on both sides of this equation. Crap drivers with no desire to change and crap police with no desire to stop extorting money.

I have yet to read a thread about traffic enforcement that doesn't include some farang right early in the thread claiming its being done to extort money from foreigners.

Doing their duty, as policemen, enforcing traffic laws, obeying their superiors orders, doesn't play a part in traffic enforcement? It's only about the money?

If I was a Thai cop - indeed I'd pull every farang over and find a way to give them a ticket, just to spite their "they only do it to extort money" attitude, which in itself would reinforce that attitude, but at least I'd get back at the f*cking farang. If that's what they want to think, well, "200 baht please!"

Sort of disgusting to think that 15 other TV readers liked this opinion.

And just WHERE did I say that the purpose is to extort from FOREIGNERS? The Thai Extortion Patrol is an equal opportunity crook.

To your other claim, just where do you think that 'fine' goes? Maybe in Thailand, extortion is in the Standard Operating Procedures manual. I am sure it goes up the superior chain. There is likely a standard chart of up-pays...

Very much a chicken and egg situation and like most problems in this country the root cause lies at the feet of the administration and enforcement department. The Thai public are not going to change habits and attitudes unless they have no other option but to do so. Strict enforcement of existing traffic laws with punitive punishment that removes substantial cash from their pockets and detention for repeat offenders. If they really want to reduce the carnage and congestion then do so, otherwise they should simply shut their flapping mouths.

In my opinion the rate of road traffic fatalities is a measure of how much an administration gives a sh1t about it's people. It is similar to public health expenditure, however Thailand seems to do quite well in that regard and look after it's people, probably because hospitals lead to votes, whereas enforced traffic discipline just annoys people. In Kathu Phuket, there is a primary school 500m from the copshop. I pass it regularly at schools-out time, and it is kiddy-chaos. Four 11yr-olds hanging on a brand new scooter ripping accross 4 lanes is a common sight. Parents have to blamed for this as well, too lazy to drop off and pick up the kids so they send them off on a scooter? Thats lovely, but you should be in jail for it.

Driving in Thailand is DEFINETLY not a pleasure that's for sure.

Hopefully in years to come it will improve......

Don't hold your breath. And they only count the ones dead at the scene, get to hospital and die you don't make the states.

There is a adage...

"if you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got"

Nothing is gonna change for the better 'only get worse'

This isn't news I posted these figures about 2 months ago!

Can anybody tell me why 90% of U turns are from the right, fast lane into a fast lane??

And why are Thais adverse to turning on their lights until its nearly pitch black, are they saving on electric...then when their lights go on its like being in a star war movie.

Back to U turns wouldn't roundabouts be the answer on maybe reducing the carnage, maybe not with the Driving mentality here.

Riding and driving in Thailand is no big deal if you do not ride / drive with preconceived notions of how it should be done. Thailand is not Australia nor is it America or UK or Europe. Every country has it's own unique driving styles and it's up to us to adapt to it if we want to survive.

Sure, the majority of Thai drivers drive like idiots. I put this down to ignorance, lack of knowledge and plain stupidity. I would wager that 9 times out of 10, the slow driver in the fast lane does not even realise that he or she should not be in that lane. When I was learning how to drive in my home country, there were lots of signs on the highways saying "Keep left unless overtaking". I don't even know if there are such signs in Thailand (sorry, I can't read Thai).

In the 5 years I have been living here, I have done over a few hundred thousand kms in my cars and on my bikes, covering pretty much the whole of Thailand with the exception of the deep South. I drive defensively and rely on my many years of experience in reading the traffic conditions and adapting my speed and mentality accordingly. Yes, mentality in that while it may be easy to get angry and then aggressive, we must learn to calm down and this will improve our concentration and thus, our driving / riding.

I'd be interested to see some statistics about vehicle ownership among farangs in Thailand; some that I've met use bicycles or motorbikes for short hops around the towns, most have no transport at all; I rarely see farangs driving cars or pickups. I know that many farangs do have a lot of experience of driving barstools, and I can only assume that's where their experience and insights are gained.

While you may be right in not seeing many foreigners driving in tourist areas (probably a good thing if they like a drink or three), in the anonymity of suburban Bangkok there are quite a few foreigners living quietly, married with families. Almost every one I've met in my area has a car with some like me riding a bike for short trips or for exercise. The other reason why foreigners go unnoticed is quite simple... most cars here have dark tint so even up close it's hard to tell who is behind the wheel.

Roundabouts really don't work well with people who can't/won't stay in their lane.

The problem with roundabouts in Thailand is the number of car drivers who enter the roundabout going the wrong way, just to save driving an extra 50 meters if they drove around correctly. I see this every single day where I live.

cutting the road toll would require kon Thai to change there mind set,and to get an understanding of cause and effect,this will never happen,because they would rather risk their lives by not bothering with basic safety issues,as it is all to difficult,example; why do motosias here rarely every stop and look when turning onto a main road with the traffic flow,because they would have to stop and put their foot on the ground,so better to risk death,why overtake a turning car or truck clearly indicating,better risk death than have to stop or slow down,anyway Budha will take care,my wife cousin just purchased a new motorbike,the first thing he does;remove the mirrors,they don,t look cool!I have driven in many countries for 31 years,and i have to say in 18 months since i have lived full time in Thailand i have had more near misses[mostly with motorsais],than all those 31 years,i really do not enjoy driving here,it really is a lottery if you will get home ,i too go slow,but even that cannot prevent an accident arising from the idiocy i see every day,as i see it Thai drivers have the worst of all driving traits; impatience,laziness,selfishness,lack of awareness,lack of anticipation and lack of driver education, my wife who is a good carefull driver,passed her test after one day of practice in her brothers pickup,this was all the expirience she had in a car,and was then legal to drive on the road.i can only see things getting worse i am afraid

Archived