International Or English Speaking School In Chiang Rai

roamp

I am thinking of living in Chiang Rai and wonder what the educational options might be for my 12 year old American daughter.

Thanks for any information.

hello roamp

my daughter his also 12 she attended anuban muang english curriculum school (AMEC)

untill last term but they only cater for children up to 12 years so my daughter and most of her class friends from AMEC have enrolled at samakkhiwitthayakhom school in chaingrai they have a english program and people speak highly of the school.

for more info=e-mail ****************

web site= ***************

hope its of some help

soap (an others on the forum) please be aware that links to external websites are not allowed under the rules. You can send it to them by PM or do them as a jump link such as samakkhiwitthayakhom school but not as a direct link.

I have also corrected your link - note to anyone using it that there is a mixture of English and Thai on the page and most of the site is in Thai. I did a quick search around and didn't find an English specific page aimed at foreign non-thai reading parents interested in this school.

regards

CB

Edited by Crow Boy
links to external websites removed

soap,

Thanks for the info. The link below doesn't seem to work. I tried www.sakakkhi.ac.th, but it goes to a Thai only page with no apparent link to an English version. I'll try the email. Does that go to your or someone at the school?

hello roamp

my daughter his also 12 she attended anuban muang english curriculum school (AMEC)

untill last term but they only cater for children up to 12 years so my daughter and most of her class friends from AMEC have enrolled at samakkhiwitthayakhom school in chaingrai they have a english program and people speak highly of the school.

for more info=e-mail ***********

web site= ***************

hope its of some help

As in the post above - making direct links to external web pages is against the forum rules.

regards

CB

Edited by Crow Boy
external links removed

About the following school I don't have enough information to go into detail. Maybe somebody else does. But I consider it absolutely worth to mention.

I only know that the founder and former director of the International Montessori School of Phuket and his wife entrust their children to it. He is also president of the Teachers-Parents Association of the school.

I met the director and he is a very pleasant person who gives a strong impression to know extremely well where education is about. He is American.

It is a school, if I am well informed, originally set up to educate the children of mainly American missionaries.

So it is a Christian school.

The school is based on the home schooling system and its final exam gives admission to universities world-wide.

At the moment (as far as I know) they are integrating some Thai programs in the curriculum so that its graduates even are entitled to enter one of the best universities (out of three) in Chiang Rai Province, the Mae Fah Luang University.

The present location of the school:

'Superhighway' up north, to the left after Ban Du, the big road towards the Rajabhat Institute (in the meantime Rajabhat University), first u-turn and then the last building at the left before you reach the superhighway again.

Limbo :o

About the following school I don't have enough information to go into detail. Maybe somebody else does. But I consider it absolutely worth to mention.

I only know that the founder and former director of the International Montessori School of Phuket and his wife entrust their children to it. He is also president of the Teachers-Parents Association of the school.

I met the director and he is a very pleasant person who gives a strong impression to know extremely well where education is about. He is American.

It is a school, if I am well informed, originally set up to educate the children of mainly American missionaries.

The school is based on the home schooling system and its final exam gives admission to universities world-wide.

At the moment (as far as I know) they are integrating some Thai programs in the curriculum so that its graduates even are entitled to enter one of the best universities (out of three) in Chiang Rai Province, the Mae Fah Luang University.

'Superhighway' up north, to the left after Ban Du, the big road towards the Rajabhat Institute (in the meantime Rajabhat University), first u-turn and then the last building at the left before you reach the superhighway again.

Limbo.Shame on you for recommending this school.

Please don't go near this school if you value your daughter's future.

It's a breeding ground for missionaries in Chiang Rai and a brainwashing centre for vournable young kids.

I have heard some of the tripe that these kids come out with and it's very disturbing.

Edited by tayto

Limbo.Shame on you for recommending this school.

Please don't go near this school if you value your daughter's future.

It's a breeding ground for missionaries in Chiang Rai and a brainwashing centre for vournable young kids.

I have heard some of the tripe that these kids come out with and it's very disturbing.

Limbo,

I must agree with Tayto. I'm shocked at this recommendation. I hope roamp will ignore this suggestion - unless he is a fundamentalist christian with no interest in his daughter receiving a well-rounded education.

:D Mymechew

soap,

Thanks for the info. The link below doesn't seem to work. I tried www.sakakkhi.ac.th, but it goes to a Thai only page with no apparent link to an English version. I'll try the email. Does that go to your or someone at the school?

hello roamp

for more info=e-mail **********

web site= ************

hope its of some help

hello roamp

i also have just tried to find the school web site in english but without success, the web site and e-mail address was given to me in a brochure (in english ) about the schools english program when i attended a meeting at the school, if you wish the phone/fax number please contact me.

we left it up to my daughter what school she would attend next semester and along with most of her friends they all picked samakki

I have ammended the web link in the post by Soap - it works now.

regards

CB

I am thinking of living in Chiang Rai and wonder what the educational options might be for my 12 year old American daughter.

Thanks for any information.

I agree with "soap" that for junior and senior high school in Chiang Rai - Samakhee is your best bet. Chiang Mai does have one or two real international schools - boarding and day programs. Another option is home schooling that you good arrange with a school back in America.

Good luck

:o Mymechew

• 1 year later...
One school that teaches mainly english is Monti Souri (sp), but is quite expensive.

How expensive is the Montessori School? I cant find anything about the fees on their site, http://www.pitisuksa.org.

Before you will inform at the Piti Suksa school I want to inform you about this school. The organization and management of this so called Montessori school is not okay.

At this moment they have about 22 so called teachers.....only 2 (TWO!) of them are certified Montessori teacher. Isn't that strange? Besides that they think that you can become a Montessori teacher by studying an online course, without any practical instructions while the certified Montessori course usually takes 4 full time years. And the English of the Thai teachers (also with bachelor degree) is very, very bad.

I advise you to be careful with this school.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Can anyone advise me the cost of study (tution fee) at AMEC Anuban Muang Chiang Rai School?

I am very interested to find school for my kid (daughter at age 2.5 yrs now) in the future.

When kid can start to learn in this school? At what age?

I try to find details on search but I didn't find in details.

Thanks in advance

Lakdee

Hi

Can anyone advise me the cost of study (tution fee) at AMEC Anuban Muang Chiang Rai School?

I am very interested to find school for my kid (daughter at age 2.5 yrs now) in the future.

Thanks in advance

Lakdee

May be you can visit the AMEC school. It on the Super Highway in the direction of Chiang Mai, on the left site. About 5 km.... It seems like a nice and good school.

Hi

Thanks in advance

Lakdee

the term fees for amec

tuition fee 25,000 baht

food 2,500 baht

insurance 150 baht

support fee 7,000 baht paid once a year

May be you can visit the AMEC school. It on the Super Highway in the direction of Chiang Mai, on the left site. About 5 km.... It seems like a nice and good school.

Hi ISpy,

My family and I are in Swiss right now.. We have plan and want to move to live in CR in the near future.. However, I would make a visit at AMEC in my next trip.

Thanks for your reply and giving me school direction.

Regards,

lakdee

Hi Soap

Thanks for your information.

I keep note for the cost.

Regards,

Lakdee

I really would stay clear of this school,(amec) there are a couple of good teachers but generally there just back packers trying to earn a living (dont blame them) or non qualified teachers , from a parents point of view it shows, the quality of the teaching, the teacher and parent interaction is terrible.

The price is not to bad but it does reflect in the the school , it reallty does need some money spending on it. A doctor friend of mine moved his kids there, one of them was doing really well at the previous school, but her grades went straight down when she went there, so they pulled them both out. I took my daughter out after 4 months.

Personally I don't believe in international schools for young children in Chiang Rai. Not yet anyways, it just pretends to look good and it seems "intER". Then again, comparing the books and what for example 12 year-olds study at AMEC with ordinary schools there is a difference. Just because a student's grades go down doesn't necessarily mean that the school is bad, does it? Rather that it is more difficult at AMEC or that moving to a new school means more pressure on the kids.

I really would stay clear of this school,(amec) there are a couple of good teachers but generally there just back packers trying to earn a living (dont blame them) or non qualified teachers , from a parents point of view it shows, the quality of the teaching, the teacher and parent interaction is terrible.

The price is not to bad but it does reflect in the the school , it reallty does need some money spending on it. A doctor friend of mine moved his kids there, one of them was doing really well at the previous school, but her grades went straight down when she went there, so they pulled them both out. I took my daughter out after 4 months.

i agree with you that the percentage of unqualified english speaking teachers is very high

not only in amec but also chaingrai province,i would be interested to know were you and your thai doctor friend have sent your children in order to solve the problem.

my daughter attended amec for 3 years before going overage 2 years ago,she and 6 of her friends

from amec applied at samakkhi for the english course,i believe of the 200 children that applied for this course only 60 could be accepted and i think 4 of the amec children were in the top 10 and all 7 were in the top 20.

my son also attends amec and he insists that we do not pick him up till at least 4 30 so he can play an extra half hour with his mates,the only masters degree he would pass at the moment is in cartoon network but at his age what counts to me is that he his happy and enjoying his childhood.

i have emphasised to my children the importance of being able to speak thai,english,and if possible

chinesse while they are at school and then let life take its course.

i have emphasised to my children the importance of being able to speak thai,english,and if possible

The way the world is changing so rapidly this is probably a very wise decision. To let the kids choose their own path in life, with the realization that they must acquire basic reading and maths skills, sounds very sensible to me. I agree that Chinese is a must for any student. It should be a compulsory language world wide.

The way the world is changing so rapidly this is probably a very wise decision. To let the kids choose their own path in life, with the realization that they must acquire basic reading and maths skills, sounds very sensible to me. I agree that Chinese is a must for any student. It should be a compulsory language world wide.

Totally agree scengadoodle, as a business language for the future. However we should make sure our children are well aware of Tibet's fight for freedom from the great reds, and the current condemnation of His holiness The Dalai Lama by them also. Total disgrace to humanity for these acts. While you're at it let them know of Burma's current struggle (not from the Chinese of course) :o:D

Hopefully in our time we will see justice for all..

Totally agree scengadoodle, as a business language for the future. However we should make sure our children are well aware of Tibet's fight for freedom from the great reds, and the current condemnation of His holiness The Dalai Lama by them also. Total disgrace to humanity for these acts. While you're at it let them know of Burma's current struggle (not from the Chinese of course) :o:D

Hopefully in our time we will see justice for all..

Has to be a first time for everything I suppose. :D

Do not know if there is a school in Chiang Rai which meets your requirement. Even an "international" school with good English is a challenge....

• 10 months later...