Why Was Nobody Interested In A Teaching Position?

sirchai

Hello and Sawasdee khrap,

I was just wondering why nobody even tried to look into the offered teaching position near Det Udon.

The usual guys making the usual jokes about a starting salary of 25K, having a one year contract in a good working environment.

Was the "no response issue" because the topic had been closed, ( because of some brainy comments, always coming from the same brainy people), or are there indeed no people out there looking for a teaching job?

I started making 17 K, as back in 2005 many schools all in a sudden started to hire Filipinos and only payed them 10 K/month.

How many schools would hire you right now with a 12 months contract?

Just curious to know why nobody seemed to be interested. Won't happen again though, roughly speaking.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sirchai: I don't know if I can answer your question or not, but I do the hiring for several schools in a group and the number of people applying right now is very, very low. It's unusually low, even for this time of year. We don't need any teachers right now, but there is usually a small, but steady stream of applicants.

If anything comes my way, I will send them a link to the forum and tell them to PM you.

• Like 1

Sirchai: I don't know if I can answer your question or not, but I do the hiring for several schools in a group and the number of people applying right now is very, very low. It's unusually low, even for this time of year. We don't need any teachers right now, but there is usually a small, but steady stream of applicants.

If anything comes my way, I will send them a link to the forum and tell them to PM you.

Thanks, Scott. I usually post at ajarn.com, but thought it could be a nice job opportunity for somebody who likes to work/stay/ live here.With the possibility to start immediately, solving money/visa and other issues..

Thanks a lot for your input, wish you a great weekend. -wai2.gif

Well naturally it does depend on where you are: 25k won't go far in Bkk, but there are plenty of rural areas where it's more than enough to live comfortably.

PS I think there will very likely be a downward pressure on NES wages for a long-time given supply and demand from 2015. Personally I think this is a good thing for Thai schools in general: I really don't see that the value delivered by an NES teacher is worth the differential in most cases.

I was considering it, but bills and all, I could not make it over there.

My private students (19 of them) make a huge difference, and I am not sure if I could get that many over there. Koreans pay 500 per hour, Japanese 700, and Russians 1000 per hour. I also tutor some Thais for free or very low hourly wage if in a group. I try to give back to the community when I can.

I am getting tired of Phuket, But for what your school pays, I would not apply.

I do wish the OP luck in his search. Sounds like a nice area.

Well naturally it does depend on where you are: 25k won't go far in Bkk, but there are plenty of rural areas where it's more than enough to live comfortably.

PS I think there will very likely be a downward pressure on NES wages for a long-time given supply and demand from 2015. Personally I think this is a good thing for Thai schools in general: I really don't see that the value delivered by an NES teacher is worth the differential in most cases.

Not a teacher, but I do live in a rural area. I rent a modest home, I have my comforts, but I don't spend extravigantly, and rarely drink. I could not live reasonably on 25k - on that money, I'd be living like a starving (western) college student. When I was a student, I've certainly had enough noodle-pack dinners, crowded apartments, and empty pockets to last a lifetime, would not wish for that again. Some things are cheaper out in the country, but not by much, and you get what you pay for. 25k is just unimaginable - unless its for 2 days a week or less, then it sounds great.

• Like 1

It's really quite simple. It has already been pointed out that the salary is the problem. I don't know anyone who would be willing to work for that salary. My part-time job pays significantly more than that. My full-time job is more than double that. With a family (wife and child), car, motorbike, and all the expenses that go along with those things, I would not be able to have a comfortable life. That's all there is to it. When I can match that salary only working for 6 hours a day, once a week on Saturdays, why would anyone be interested in a position that pays so little?

If salary is the problem, why not go go home where u can earn more ?

I haven't interviewed an NES who can give half the value of a bi-lingual Thai , even though the NES wants twice as much !!

Most of those NES teachers probably wanted twice as much as the bi-lingual Thai teachers, because they saw other jobs advertised which were paying similar amounts.

Most of the teachers who are willing to teach in an area like Det Udom are people who want to have to have an enjoyable, relaxed lifestyle (Or who have a gf/wife who lives nearby). That, combined with the lower cost of living, is why they accept salaries significantly lower than in farangland.

25,000 is just a little bit too of a pay cut for most people, particularly when there are a lot of other jobs available, in urban areas, which pay the same or more.

I haven't interviewed an NES who can give half the value of a bi-lingual Thai , even though the NES wants twice as much !!

I love the first part of this "Go home where you can earn more?" I am sure you are not a thai national or NES speaker. Why should NES be giving more money? We can speak the NATIVE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!! Not half-assed attempts of saying a english word. I have to agree that most, including myself find grammer teaching a pain but we learnt this as a child. Thais teach the grammer we teach the speaking, its that simple.

Well Eddy , are you a teacher ? Are you NES ? If so surely you can earn more in your home country than you can in Thailand?

Apologies for the font glitches. Let me reiterate and elaborate - I have interviewed many aspiring teachers. My experience is that Thais are the best teachers of English for Thai students. If there are any farangs out there who can speak even Patom 1 level, please let me know ;-)

It's really quite simple. It has already been pointed out that the salary is the problem. I don't know anyone who would be willing to work for that salary. My part-time job pays significantly more than that. My full-time job is more than double that. With a family (wife and child), car, motorbike, and all the expenses that go along with those things, I would not be able to have a comfortable life. That's all there is to it. When I can match that salary only working for 6 hours a day, once a week on Saturdays, why would anyone be interested in a position that pays so little?

OK :-) you have job you like at the moment, I hope you continue to like it :-)

25,000 is enough to survive on, but you wouldn't be putting much away on savings each month.

Sly, I'm sure you're a nice guy and yr heart's in the right place, but do u really think u can put away enough savings by working in Thailand?

I love Thailand, don't get me wrong, but it's never been a place for westerners to earn a living, apart from bombing neighbouring nations.

If you're one of those many farangs living here on yr dad's wealth, then no problem, otherwise take stock and take care.

I think your first sentence is a very callous statement. The "If you......then go home" utterance is too often used in Thailand forums as a "end all and be all" solution. People can choose to live and work where they want and also entitled to reasonable remuneration for their work. My wife and I don't live in Bangkok and we own our home. Our Thai next-door neighbour had to go and work long hours in Bangkok for 30,000+baht because their daughter was going to university. The neighbour's house on the other side has three people working in the household to support themselves and their children. We have a daughter studying at uni in Bangkok and there goes 10,000baht each month in housing, food, etc for her. Therefore, if I was being paid 25,000 per month, we'd have 15,000 before electric, water and other essential bills. My wife tells me how much food has increased over the last years, so I have to agree with other posters here. The minimum should be 30,000baht.

• Like 1

The salary is very low. Eleven years ago I taught at a school in Bangkok and my salary was 35,000 baht and I was paid a substantial bonus at the end of the contract. The school also provided me with a few private students as well. Actually teaching was only twenty hours a week however I had to be at the school from 7.30 am - 4.00 pm.