Why Was Nobody Interested In A Teaching Position?

sirchai

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why we hire bi-lingual Thais. Farangs are just so inflexible, too much trouble and unable to communicate with the students.

Never mind that few of the bilingual thais can communicate in English at more that 4th grade primary school level in England.

25,000 is enough to survive on, but you wouldn't be putting much away on savings each month.

Sly, I'm sure you're a nice guy and yr heart's in the right place, but do u really think u can put away enough savings by working in Thailand?

As I said, my current living costs are around 25,000 per month. My salary is 36,000 without teaching any special classes and without my gf working.

If my gf worked and we did private classes after school and on weekends we could make a combined income of around 80,000*+.

That'd allow us to put around 50,000 away into savings each month, which would be ok.

However in saying that, I have investments in NZ so am not too focused on savings at present, as I want to enjoy the freedom of traveling before I have kids (which is why I'm not teaching those special classes and have asked my gf not to work). Once we have children, I'll be focusing on increasing my income to provide for them.

So in answer to your question, yes I believe that it's definitely possible to save money in Thailand.

Although we could save more in NZ, assuming my gf worked. But once we had kids, a single income in NZ wouldn't allow us to save much and I don't want my kids to be raised in daycare.

Thailand allows enough flexibility of employment that I could work full time and still spend 3-4h of the working day (between classes) with my family. And as our Thai income would be primarily driven by my earnings, the opportunity cost of her looking after children isn't as great in Thailand. Which is why we live here, not in NZ, it's a lifestyle choice.

* I say 80,000+, If this wasn't my gf's hometown and if I hadn't been teaching here for 3 years already, then I think a combined income of 80,000 would be quite difficult to earn in an amphur town, as we wouldn't have the contacts etc. in a city it'd be easy to earn that much, or more (I know another Farang guy who reportedly makes a combined income of 150k+, but he's in a city and has been living there for quite a while so has good connections there).

If salary is the problem, why not go go home where u can earn more ?

I haven't interviewed an NES who can give half the value of a bi-lingual Thai , even though the NES wants twice as much !!

I love the first part of this "Go home where you can earn more?" I am sure you are not a thai national or NES speaker. Why should NES be giving more money? We can speak the NATIVE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!! Not half-assed attempts of saying a english word. I have to agree that most, including myself find grammer teaching a pain but we learnt this as a child. Thais teach the grammer we teach the speaking, its that simple.

Well Eddy , are you a teacher ? Are you NES ? If so surely you can earn more in your home country than you can in Thailand?

But that is irrelevant. OP is asking why nobody wants the job. Then answer is that he isn't paying enough. Just saying that people can make more in other countries does not make this less true. Sounds like he needs to find someone else (like this overabundance of bilingual Thais you speak of) or try coughing up some more money.

I am sure there are plenty of people from the Philippines, India, or Burma that would like a job at that pay with a 12-month contract, but the bosses who try to low-ball Westerners into a job also tend to be the same guys who royally *do* over people from SE Asia, so I am sure the salary would instantly drop by 10k....go figure.

At this time of the year, I would be tempted to accept a lower salary and be employed rather than no salary and being unemployed. But then that is just me.

Although would you relocate to an amphur town in Ubon for 25k?

If I was unemployed at this time of year (And had enough saved to "get by" until May):

I'd take a job nearby (e.g. no relocation) for 25k (Or maybe even less).

I'd probably be willing to relocate to anywhere with a beach for 25k. (But beach towns are often expensive, so not sure if I'd stay long term, but it'd be a nice holiday)

I'd be willing to relocate to a city for 25k (Then look for a higher paying job in that city the following term).

If I had kids, I'd be less likely to relocate, if I was single, I'd be more willing to relocate.

If I had no savings, I'd be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

As some posters have said, there's quite a big difference between 30k and 25k, as it's sorta on the edge of what covers the "normal" living costs of a couple. 25k could work if your wife was pulling in 10k+ per month, or might be ok if you had a free house. As then you'd cover your living costs and probably have a little left over for a rainy day, you could then look for some special classes to bring in extra savings.

It'd also work if you had special classes you could teach for extra income, but in the countryside you can't guarantee that you'll be able to get extra classes.

I started teaching in Phuket at Kajonkiet in 2002 for 25,000 baht a month and was fortunate to get free housing in the teachers dormitory (very basic Thai style). Got my TEFL at TTT Language school in Chalong, moved up to Bangkok year and half later, started 1st job there at 35,000 baht fulltime, after 5 years in Bangkok was eventually making 50,000 baht a month, specializing in Kindergarten. Any school that offers 25k baht a month for fulltime in 2013 is ripping you off, especially if they require you have an educational degree, I don't care where it's at in Thailand.

• Like 2

This is why we hire bi-lingual Thais. Farangs are just so inflexible, too much trouble and unable to communicate with the students.

Hiring the bi-lingual Thais is a wonderful solution.......unless you really want them to speak English.

• Like 1

Well naturally it does depend on where you are: 25k won't go far in Bkk, but there are plenty of rural areas where it's more than enough to live comfortably.

PS I think there will very likely be a downward pressure on NES wages for a long-time given supply and demand from 2015. Personally I think this is a good thing for Thai schools in general: I really don't see that the value delivered by an NES teacher is worth the differential in most cases.

Not a teacher, but I do live in a rural area. I rent a modest home, I have my comforts, but I don't spend extravigantly, and rarely drink. I could not live reasonably on 25k - on that money, I'd be living like a starving (western) college student. When I was a student, I've certainly had enough noodle-pack dinners, crowded apartments, and empty pockets to last a lifetime, would not wish for that again. Some things are cheaper out in the country, but not by much, and you get what you pay for. 25k is just unimaginable - unless its for 2 days a week or less, then it sounds great.

I'm genuinely surprised and very interested in your response; and I honestly would be interested in a breakdown or at least a summary of your outgoings (naturally preserving privacy etc); I live on far less than that and believe me I don't scrimp. Ok I don't rent, but rural rents are almost nothing compared to Bkk anyway. I hope this doesn't sound confrontational, it's not intended to be.

Sorry to be off topic, but I too am intrigued. I've lived in BKK on less than 30K with ease and I don't see the fuss as I eat well, get entertained, travel where I want and set my own hours. If you have dependants and waste money then you have a point.

Why not admit? Most teachers here in Thailand have zero academic training in teaching. They do not know, what didactics, the principles of teaching, methodology are. And they have to deal with classes with 50 pupils or so, where one can only recite the contents of the curriculum. Thai pupils are being taught to memorize, and if they feel like, they might do it; but they are not taught to develop an independent thinking, they are i.e. not guided to find an individual approach to solve a problem, and so on. Hiring foreigners to "teach" English will not solve the current problem. And with the stance, that even state schools are being managed like businesses, there will not be a chance to have smaller classes, but may be a new Mercedes for the headmaster.

Edited by fxe1200

If a job pays less than 30k, the only way that I would take it is if it were part time with less than 15 contact hours in straight blocks.

I can just do private lessons and workshops less than 10 hours a week and still earn more than 20k.

It is sad that jobs are paying less now than they were back in 2000.

Considering the fact that they've to get the money from the parents, who aren't wealthy, understandable. Honestly speaking, an ideal start for somebody who wants to settle down here, or having a wife from this area.

As far as I recall, you're working in China right now. My post was meant to give somebody a helping hand.

I certainly know how it is to turn each baht around twice to make it until the end of the month. But I know why I'm doing it and for whom.

Unfortunately, the kids give me more than money can buy.-wai2.gif

I am required a 65,000 Baht a month income, but because I am a retire, I cannot work so cannot even apply for citizenship.

Contrary to popular belief, citizenship is not lost if a person gains others. It is quite possible to be a citizen of many countries and hold many passports.

To me, 30k sounds like a pauper's income, but you are allowed to apply to become a citizen.

25K as a salary for a teacher is terrible regardless of where you are in Thailand. Petrol, cooking gas, housing and food prices have increased and will continue to all over the country. Does the school offer housing allowence, relocation help, visa payments, health/accident insurance or does the applicant also have to foot the bill for all of these also? If they do, it's not a good deal. Thats my thoughts, when I first came here in 2005 I got 35k a month, after 3 months half my airfare repaid, 3,000 a month housing allowence. Money back for visa runs, including food and hotel room for the night and travel costs. Free insurance not the general social security. 10 days sick per school year, 10 days business a year and 10 pays personal. And all this for 20-21 hours a week. No schools match this now, they are squeezing as much money as they can out of the foreign teacher.

The kids do make it sometimes feel like it does not matter about the salary but when you need to pay those bills it does matter at the end of the day.

Money back for visa runs??? You must be working without a work permit. When I was teaching I had a WP, and certainly never had to do visa runs.

Answer to the original question: because the pay is crap, people aren't going to put up with those conditions for that pay. Raise it up to 30,000 or a bit over that and you'll attract a body; to get an actual professional you'd have to go a lot higher than 30,000, unless of course you can find one of the many western professionals retired in Issan.

Guys, what I'm really having difficulty understanding is...

if you want a salary that pays a mortgage (on a house you can own), and a nice car, and a holiday in the sun once or twice a year and health care and pensions whose provisions you can understand...etc etc... why are you working in Thailand or SE Asia?

just stay home... I mean back home.

Essentially bundol has hit a relevant point above. The fact that salaries are reducing means that the quality of teaching will reduce even more in this country. Having just spent 2 months in Indonesia where an uneducated indo can speak better than a uni educated thai person, I think this country will never improve until it sorts out its education system.

I first came to Thailand a few years ago and was invited by a senior English teacher (friend of my wife) at a public school to come to her classroom as a NES and interact with the students (15-17 years old). There were about 15 students in the class. I must say that I was very surprised at the fact that with the exception of two students, none of them could understand a simple English sentence the first time it was spoken and could not respond. One of the two students who stood out were learning English from working in 4 star "Farang" hotel and TALKING with English speakers. The other student had a sister with a UK husband.

After the second visit to the classroom, it became clear that the students were afraid to speak. I was told that this is due to fear of losing face. But, it still did not answer the question as to their ability to speak English. I might add that the teacher, who had a Masters Degree in teaching English could not speak English beyond the most rudimentry level. The other thing I noticed was that, with two or three exceptions, the students had no motivation to learn English. That is to say, they saw to tangible benefit for the required effort. A poll of what they were going to do after graduation ran the spectrum of haviang no idea to the very specific. Several wanted to enter the police force. They were also not aware that in many jobs, speaking English meant higher salaries.

I became convinced that the Thai eduation leaders have missed the basic principle of teaching a foreigh language: you have to speak the language with a native speaker. I took two years of French in high school and another year in collage, but I did not learn to speak the language until I spent 4 months working in in a small village in SW France. This also explains why wealthy Thais send their children to the UK or the USA for several years of school: They come back speaking English almost at the same level as a NES. But of course, they will not work for 25K THB either.

Technology can help. I was speaking with a young American at the Immigration office who got a job teaching at a goverment school in Lampang for 35,000 THB. He had over 15 years experience with TEASL in several Asian countries. He noted that the school had a language lab with all of the required equipment, but it had never been "turned on." Part of his job was to get the lab up and running so that the students could use it. It may be that language labs could provide a very cost effective solution for those who will not be sent abroad for school.

• Like 2

Apologies for the font glitches. Let me reiterate and elaborate - I have interviewed many aspiring teachers. My experience is that Thais are the best teachers of English for Thai students. If there are any farangs out there who can speak even Patom 1 level, please let me know ;-)

What do you mean Prathom 1 level? I know what Prathom 1 is having taught Prathoms 5 and 6. Your third sentence is wrong. Any Farang from a NES country will speak Prathom 1 level, but that does not mean they will be good English teachers. For TV members not involved with Thai schools, Prathom 1 is the same as Primary 1 in the UK.

If salary is the problem, why not go go home where u can earn more ?

I haven't interviewed an NES who can give half the value of a bi-lingual Thai , even though the NES wants twice as much !!

Apparently you don't have much experience in your field. I do know Thais who teach "English" in Isaan. The trouble is that they learned "English" from Thais all through school and even in uni. They are quite good at writing and translating and they know spelling and grammar...

But they can't pronounce the English words correctly so they teach it all wrong to their students. No one is learning to speak English. Worse, they do most of their speaking in the class room in Thai.

Are you an NES? If so, how did you learn English? How and at what stage of your life did you become fluent in English? You were fluent in English before you went to school and learned grammar, etc. Your early life was a total immersion in English.

The only way those kids will become fluent in English is if the class is taught in English by an NES.

Spot on Neversure.

• Like 1

....the answer to 'what happened to the teaching profession salaries'is in the initial post....read it over carefully again.....

(...it also explains why the quality of education has gone down or not improved....)

Edited by SOTIRIOS

Is the job still available? Currently work in the Foreign Language department of a large International School making less than 25,000 on 22hrs/wk. Possibly looking for a change. Housing included or no?

You should probably send a PM to the OP to find out if it is still available.

Also a rather nasty, inflammatory post has been removed.

Apologies for the font glitches. Let me reiterate and elaborate - I have interviewed many aspiring teachers. My experience is that Thais are the best teachers of English for Thai students. If there are any farangs out there who can speak even Patom 1 level, please let me know ;-)

What do you mean Prathom 1 level? I know what Prathom 1 is having taught Prathoms 5 and 6. Your third sentence is wrong. Any Farang from a NES country will speak Prathom 1 level, but that does not mean they will be good English teachers. For TV members not involved with Thai schools, Prathom 1 is the same as Primary 1 in the UK.

The OP is suggesting we, as NES instructors have an Thai education to P1 .. lol

I was forced to spend time in my P1 bilingual school homeroom when not teaching, so i bought a textbook, sat at the back and played along with the P1 TT .. geez, those guys push the kids hard.

It makes what we teach look like a walk in the park, at 5 years old they STUDIED Thai for at least 1 hour a day + homework. Its nothing like P1 in the UK where we learn numbers and alphabet through play, these kids learn grammar rules and spelling through rigid word construction rules. The kids are expected to be able to write after A3, my missus teaches kids to write age 3 at Kindergarten. There was still an element of copying from the board, but its certainly not rote and it certainly wasnt FUN biggrin.png like an ESL lesson is supposed to be, there were no fun pictures or games. Also, I wasnt repremanded (physically or verbally ) when i made a mistake.

ETS: Despite, moments where they totally hated the old boot, so much they would be dragged down the corridor by their parents, but the parents and kids had so much respect and love for the teacher who was about to retire and she got RESULTS. It's a real eye opener, how TT's behave, the ( fortunate ) double standards we comply with and how much of a different world we revolve in.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

If Thai teacher speaks Thai to her/his students, the students will not speak English.

Thai students have been learning English from their Thai teachers.

Try to talk to them if they can answer you in English.

When a teacher cannot speak Thai, he/she find ways so that her students understand her/him. Soon the students can speak broken English. Although broken, we can understand what they want to say.

But your 25K offer will still be grabbed by (desperate) Filipinos. But you can choose from them.

Only the place maybe the problem.

Am I the only one here who thinks there just might be an "agent" in the mix here who is trying to find someone to work for less than he charges the school?

He's all over the place about preferring "bilingual Thais" and so on, but it always comes down to money, firm at $25k. Why, even if the school won't pay more, will he not agree that it isn't very much money? Why instead suggest people go back to their home countries?

I could go on with clues I think I get but sorry, but I'm not into this.

• Like 1

The salary is very low. Eleven years ago I taught at a school in Bangkok and my salary was 35,000 baht and I was paid a substantial bonus at the end of the contract. The school also provided me with a few private students as well. Actually teaching was only twenty hours a week however I had to be at the school from 7.30 am - 4.00 pm.

You may be a quality teacher that's why your school paid you that amount. (I received 37-39,000 Baht a month for 3 hours a day work. 1 day has 4 hours but I am not saying I am also a quality one. I don't want to carry my own chair).

But many agencies (hiring teachers) give lower than 25,000 Baht here in Bangkok. The average pay is 300 Baht per hour.

Edited by DGIE