Bad-mouth Brit beggar gets rough Phuket lesson

webfact

Is it a criminal offence to beg in Thailand?

Probably not. But there is a way to do it kindly, with manners, and there is a way to do it in an obnoxious fashion. Nobody likes an obnoxious or aggressive beggar. This guy got clocked, and the guy who clocked him should be praised. I got approached by a gal recently who claimed she was collecting donations for her school. She was so delightful and so pleasant, I gave her 100 baht regardless of whether or not I felt she was legitimate. The rude ones I ignore.

Section 397 Thai Penal code:

Whoever, in a public place or before the public, does, by any means whatever to annoy or bully the other person, or causes the other person to be ashamed or troubled, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding one month or fined not exceeding one thousand Baht, or both.rolleyes.gif

Thanks. This charge should be enough to have him deported.

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably not. But there is a way to do it kindly, with manners, and there is a way to do it in an obnoxious fashion. Nobody likes an obnoxious or aggressive beggar. This guy got clocked, and the guy who clocked him should be praised. I got approached by a gal recently who claimed she was collecting donations for her school. She was so delightful and so pleasant, I gave her 100 baht regardless of whether or not I felt she was legitimate. The rude ones I ignore.

Whoever, in a public place or before the public, does, by any means whatever to annoy or bully the other person, or causes the other person to be ashamed or troubled, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding one month or fined not exceeding one thousand Baht, or both.rolleyes.gif

What are the penalty for knocking out a person then ?

What are the penalty for knocking out a person then ?

What round?

• Like 2

485304838_7e78fa6f7c.jpg

"What does a Brit look like?"

Well, having never been to Britain to see the Brits in their natural habitat I had to rely on my imagination, and to be honest that's what I imagined them to look like !

(with the exception of transam , of course) clap2.gifcheesy.gif

But seriously, we should not be passing judgement on this guy, none of us know him or the circumstances that led up to him being assaulted. Rather than bag him I prefer to think myself lucky I have never been in his position. thumbsup.gif

good post

• Like 1

Aziz Javaid a Brit - whatever next ?

don't look like no brit to me!

What does a Brit look like?

485304838_7e78fa6f7c.jpg

Well, having never been to Britain to see the Brits in their natural habitat I had to rely on my imagination, and to be honest that's what I imagined them to look like !

But seriously, we should not be passing judgement on this guy, none of us know him or the circumstances that led up to him being assaulted. Rather than bag him I prefer to think myself lucky I have never been in his position. thumbsup.gif

What is this fairy tale about "none of us knowing the circumstances that led up to him being assaulted"? We most certainly DO know the circumstances! He was and had been verbally assaulting those who wouldn't give him the handouts he was demanding! According to multiple witnesses - not one person's word being taken for anything here. And someone finally spanked him. The fairy tale is in all the speculation about mental illness, etc. No, aggressive begging isn't a crime against humanity; neither was he executed as a war criminal. Get real. Tourists absolutely should be able to walk down the street without having to deal with people threatening them for money. The fact that this character was using no weapon other than his own physical demeanor doesn't make his demanding money from innocent passersby any more virtuous. 'Hope thais throw the book at him.

Edited by hawker9000

What round?

The ring is the only place where you are free from these laws so that don't really count now do it?

Ive could have written battery and assault instead

Section 295 Whoever, causes injury to the other person in body or mind is said to commit bodily harm, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or fined not exceeding four thousand Baht, or both.

A Brit...................cheesy.gif ..............................Gawd,................. glad I am English.............thumbsup.gif

Anglo Saxon, born and bred.

There used to be an aggressive elderly English beggar on BKK Suk but haven't seen him for many months.

I 'sparked' him out, he won't ever be back....

What does "sparked him out" mean?

Aziz Javaid a Brit - whatever next ?

don't look like no brit to me!

What does a Brit look like?

485304838_7e78fa6f7c.jpg

What is this fairy tale about "none of us knowing the circumstances that led up to him being assaulted"? We most certainly DO know the circumstances! He was and had been verbally assaulting those who wouldn't give him the handouts he was demanding! According to multiple witnesses - not one person's word being taken for anything here. And someone finally spanked him. The fairy tale is in all the speculation about mental illness, etc. No, aggressive begging isn't a crime against humanity; neither was he executed as a war criminal. Get real. Tourists absolutely should be able to walk down the street without having to deal with people threatening them for money. The fact that this character was using no weapon other than his own physical demeanor doesn't make his demanding money from innocent passersby any more virtuous. 'Hope thais throw the book at him.

What do we know ? he was begging aggressively and being "rude" whatever that means…

Keep walking don't pay him any attention you are only a smaller man if you take verbally offense ….easy and pain free.. but i guess its very hard for some people to control them self using violence in exchange for worlds…..

• Like 1

being a foreign beggar in Thailand. Can it get any lower than that?

Yes, it can get lower. The lower life form resorts to punching out a beggar, rather than just giving him a wide berth, and going around.

If the beggar is punched, then the next target may be the mentally ill, then the gypsy, then the gay person, then the black, then the Ozzy, then the redhead, then the lame...

Bigotry and hate is a sad thing indeed. The sadder condition is the ill person who condones it as a lifestyle.

Live and Let Live

• Like 1

Yes, it can get lower. The lower life form resorts to punching out a beggar, rather than just giving him a wide berth, and going around.

If the beggar is punched, then the next target may be the mentally ill, then the gypsy, then the gay person, then the black, then the Ozzy, then the redhead, then the lame...

Bigotry and hate is a sad thing indeed. The sadder condition is the ill person who condones it as a lifestyle.

Live and Let Live

Can you send me some cash please, I am crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif but a very nice guy...........thumbsup.gif

Live and Let Live

As much as it saddens me these you mention is already a target :(

Live and Let Live

Can you send me some cash please, I am crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif but a very nice guy...........thumbsup.gif

Only if you spend it on counseling dear chap.

• Like 1

Live and Let Live

As much as it saddens me these you mention is already a target :(

You are correct. They, and many others, remain targets for the bullies and bigots of the world.

Live and Let Live

I sure will, what ever you say......intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi Just bring it on...............thumbsup.gif

What round?

The ring is the only place where you are free from these laws so that don't really count now do it?

Ive could have written battery and assault instead

Section 295 Whoever, causes injury to the other person in body or mind is said to commit bodily harm, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or fined not exceeding four thousand Baht, or both.

Thank you.

Well Mr Bitter and twisted, it's still a pretty good place to live that's why so many people from every corner of the planet wants to call it home. What you describe above is called history. With that chip-on-shoulder tirade I hazard a guess you emanate from a former penal colony?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I personally don't accept that Britain is still a "pretty good place to live" at least for the native Brits of 50+ years ago. I was horrified when I returned 3 years ago. All around me in a main shopping area in a big city were obvious immigrants, whilst those that initially were not so immediately obvious were speaking a foreign tongue. I felt like I was an outcast in my own country! . It is now over-run with immigrants from everywhere, with many wrongly benefiting from the welfare system, all paid for by high taxation on those that work plus pensioners.. Yet those of us who dare to leave are penalised with our frozen pensions and inability to access the free health care that we have paid for during all the years we lived there. But if you Mr Bushman believe the UK is the Dog's <deleted> -so be it! I shall not be returning.

Pattaya could be considered the reverse - full of non Thais all speaking different languages. But at least they pay for everything they have, - no government handouts, no housing grants, no free healthcare, and when their money runs out, they are no longer permitted to stay. And if they break the law they will almost certainly and quite correctly, be deported.

Last time I was there all the cashiers in my local Lidl were Polish. Tip, I go there for their excellent goat cheese.

Well done whoever laid him outthumbsup.gif mind you if he was in England he would probably be suing his attacker for breach of human rights by nowwhistling.gif

Common Assault is a criminal offense in the UK. The suit against the perpetrator would most likely be for the criminal conduct and injury, and probably not a human rights issue.

Anyone who assaults someone for speech alone, however inflammatory, would do wisely to articulate the mitigating circumstances in court and retain good legal counsel.

Live and Let Live

"then the Ozzy"......................??????????????????

By "Ozzy", I assume you are referring to Australians.

You have lumped us in with people who are mentally ill, gypsies, gay, black, redheaded and/or lame.

Thanks mate, I am flattered that you think of us like that.

But you may want to do a refresher course in "How not to offend people on forums"...................... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Well Mr Bitter and twisted, it's still a pretty good place to live that's why so many people from every corner of the planet wants to call it home. What you describe above is called history. With that chip-on-shoulder tirade I hazard a guess you emanate from a former penal colony?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I personally don't accept that Britain is still a "pretty good place to live" at least for the native Brits of 50+ years ago. I was horrified when I returned 3 years ago. All around me in a main shopping area in a big city were obvious immigrants, whilst those that initially were not so immediately obvious were speaking a foreign tongue. I felt like I was an outcast in my own country! . It is now over-run with immigrants from everywhere, with many wrongly benefiting from the welfare system, all paid for by high taxation on those that work plus pensioners.. Yet those of us who dare to leave are penalised with our frozen pensions and inability to access the free health care that we have paid for during all the years we lived there. But if you Mr Bushman believe the UK is the Dog's <deleted> -so be it! I shall not be returning.

Pattaya could be considered the reverse - full of non Thais all speaking different languages. But at least they pay for everything they have, - no government handouts, no housing grants, no free healthcare, and when their money runs out, they are no longer permitted to stay. And if they break the law they will almost certainly and quite correctly, be deported.

Last time I was there all the cashiers in my local Lidl were Polish. Tip, I go there for their excellent goat cheese.

I have always wondered who besides the Norwegians would eat cheese made of goat milk ? :D

• Like 1

I sure will, what ever you say......intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi Just bring it on...............thumbsup.gif

Its a double-edged sword isn't it ?

Nooooo, I only have one bank account, nooooo probs.............thumbsup.gif

Please PM me your personal and bank account information, so I can arrange payment. LOL.